“Left a bit to be desired..” 2 of 5 stars

You added Chase The Wild Goose Hostel to your Saves list
Chase The Wild Goose Hostel
Banavie house | Lochiel Crescent, Banavie, Fort William PH33 7LZ, Scotland   |
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Left a bit to be desired..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Obviously at a hostel you have limited expectations that's just hostel life however as a walker/climber you do need a couple of things...

We stayed there for winter climbing in Nevis in February.

The kitchen is large and great for lots of people as is the dining and lounge area. There are 3 small bathrooms - one has an ok shower and there are dorms (sleeping 8) or separate rooms so space is good - and its only 2 mins walk from the pub/restaurant locally as well as within short hitting distance of Nevis.. that's the positives...

sadly a couple of negatives would put me off staying again.

The hostel overall was cold and damp.. the dorms just felt awful.. clothes and towels never dried and when you are up at 5.30am to climb it feels horrible, Also there are no drying facilities which again for a hostel in a climbers area is very poor. The manager did allow us to bring a hanging rail through from a back office to one of small lounges to attempt to dry all out wet, frozen climbing gear in front of the fire but it wasnt ideal.

Overall its a bed.. but its not a comfy experience. Its up to you whether you can trade off that against the low cost. Summer may be a different story but in winter is not great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here for a few days in September. When we arrived I was a bit unsure as it wasn't the homiest place we've stayed but gave it a chance.

While it does lack some of the amenities of the bigger hostels in large cities, it gave us everythign we needed.

The rooms were clean and large but a tad cold. The beds were comfy and the staff were very helpful and knowledgeable.

While I can't fault the hostel, I think a few things could be improved. For example, some new board games, a more inviting/relaxing lounge and perhaps a cheaper breakfast.

Saying that though, our stay here was most hospitable and this is really due to the friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this hostel for two nights during our four day highlands hike.

To be honest, I'm surprised by everyone's positive comments. We found the hostel didn't really deliver on most essential points. Although staff was friendly, this property needs some attention - there is a lot of room for improvement!

1. Amenities/property
Our first disappointment was the reaction to our request to use the barbecue area. It hadn't been fit for use for ages, and the reception guy was surprised we even considered using it. It's still advertised on the website.
The rooms were old, and the bathroom/guest ratio was under par: a lot of waiting in the morning.

2. Location
The hostel is rather remote, no public transport, and is located in a less than charming residential area (you might expect a more rural surrounding as it is not near Ft William's center).

3. Information
During our stay, staff wasn't really well informed or equipped to give us information on hiking options. Just one map on the wall, and vague advise. No record of 'who's hiking where' (for safety reasons).

Fort William was a great, Ben Nevis more rewarding than expected, but we are not likely to chase this wild goose again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

A very nice hostel with a warm atmosphere. Great place to stay along the amazing railways from Fort William to Mallaig. Two mins walking to Banavie Train Station and the Bus Stop for town and just beside the Great Glen Way path. Nearby a local pub serves a good selection of food and a nice Guinness ;). Great discover!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Folkestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Positive: Friendly atmosphere, clean and all the amenities you need. Quiet location, we slept well. Ideal for exploring the area and, if you're planning to climb Ben Nevis, this is a good base camp. Staff are excellent, humorous and very helpful. We have fond memories of our stay and will recommend Chase The Wild Goose to all our friends.
Negative: Our stay was too short.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was aware of this hostels location, it is in Banavie which is on the outskirts of Fort William, unfortunately due to how the town is shaped around the Loch it is quite a walk into town. Unless you fancy swimming the Loch or know your way through the Caol and Inverlochy estates. I can walk it in 20 minutes, but then I know Fort William.

It is a good base for touring the area, and for climbing Ben Nevis, i got talking to some fellow travellers who had followed me down from Inverness, we were going to talk to Ben together unfortunately I had an injury and therefore didn't
take the risk., again having lived in the town you respect the Mountain.

The rooms were clean, and there was a nice communal area, and quiet room, the kitchen was well stocked with free tea and coffee although breakfasts were £3, I brought my own food. I paid £4 for wifi but it lasted for the duration of my stay, wifi in Fort William is rare and was well worth it.

I would thoroughly recommend this hostel to anyone and look forward to staying here again in the future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hostel came highly recommended by some close friends. Unfortunately, after a booking complication I was unable to take my bed in a dorm for the night. On cancellation I contacted reception who were extremely helpful and put me in touch with enquiries via email. Communication with the hostel representative was first class, from the outset I never waited more than 10 minutes for a response via email, furthermore I was kindly offered a full no quibble refund resolving things in no time. I would like to thank the staff for their excellent customer services, efficiency and professionalism and I look forward a visit in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Chase The Wild Goose Hostel? Share your experiences!