“very good bet for solo budget traveller” 5 of 5 stars

Bank Street Lodge
Bank Street, Fort William PH33 6AY , Scotland   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Fort William
Canada
“very good bet for solo budget traveller”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

I stayed here for 5 days in July 2007. Had a private ensuite room to myself for only 25 GBP. This was 2 GBP less than I paid for a single room with SHARED hallway bath in a residence in Glasgow the week before. I was especially appreciative that they didn't charge me the whole amount for the room that they would charge for 2 persons sharing (45 GBP, I believe). This is very unusual.

The Bank Street Lodge does not provide breakfast but they do have a kitchen (fully equipped with stove, microwave, kettles, fridge, dishes, cutlery, dishcloths, soap). And a nice dining room. So I was able to make my breakfast and even a few suppers and prepare a lunch to take with me one day. Saved a lot of money that way.

The room was clean. The shower was hot and had good water pressure (not too common I find when I'm travelling in budget accommodation abroad). They have books and videos and a tv in the dining room. They
let me check in early when I arrived by train around noon and let me leave my luggage for a few hours on my day of departure because I wasn't leaving town til noon. Very kind of them.

Oh, they had a tv in my room too and I switched it on just to see if I could get the weather for the next day but it didn't work. All fuzzy. Not important for me but might matter to some.

• Liked — price, comfortable room, good shower
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

The Bank Street Lodge is cheap accomodation and in a way it is a bit unfair to ask too much from a hostel-type hotel such as this one. Will, however, describe my own experiences from a one night stay there in early July 2007.
The building is not terribly charming - a new concrete structure close to the otherwise quite pittoresque town centre. The problem is that the concrete made it a quite noisy place to stay. Though the other guests were very considerate, just someone walking down the hallway or closing a door was enough to wake you up. Our window didn't close roperly and there was a surprising amount of noise from the street. In the middle of the night the fire alarm went off for no apparant reason and woke up most of the guests on our floor - apparently it's quite sensitive and this happens quite often. In spite of the fact that smoking is not allowed in the hotel, a strong smell of stale smoke lingered in the rooms and hallways. The best thing I can say about the place is that staff were essentially pretty friendly and that the shared kitchen (with a fridge) meant a bit of socialising that you wouldn't get in a hotel. Apart from that I would definately recommend skipping the Bank Street Lodge alltogether and checking out one of the 5 or 6 B&B's located in the street just above the hotel instead. The price is virtually the same (we paid 40 pounds for a double room at the Lodge and 45 for a larger room in a B&B just next door run by a lovely elderly lady) but the B&B has the extra advantage of providing breakfast. It was my impression that it was pretty easy to get a B&B room without previous booking.

• Liked — Shared kitchen and dining room
  • Disliked — noise, smell, state of room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2006

My partner and I stayed in the Hostel rooms which were some of the best we stayed in during our trip. They are in the process of refurbishing the rooms so it was very clean and comfortable. Although basic, we had everything we needed, the kitchen was great and the lounge functional and very clean. We had a look at the en-suite rooms and had wished we'd booked them instead - good size and really well equipped. The prices were as expected (very reasonable for the en-suite rooms at £45 for two people) and we would not stay anywhere else in Fort William now.

• Liked — Location, Friendliness, Clean, warm, great showers
  • Disliked — Small rooms, not much storage
  • Tips/Secrets — book early in summer, we tried earlier in the year but it was full
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

Its OK. Reasonably priced and reasonably clean. There are a few niggly things that spoil it though.

The room we were in had four beds (two bunks) crammed into what could be described as a box room. With four people and four rucksacks there was no room to move.

If you have you just finished walking the West Highland Way in the rain then you will find the dry room inconvenient to get to (its outside by the bins). It also wasnt very warm and didnt seem to have the sturdiest lock considering it was outside.

The showers were good and hot but the toilets, showers and basins were all crammed in like the beds. No place to put anything, or get changed or dryed and the bathroom doors open straight onto the corridor, so theres not much privacy.

On the plus side there is a nice common room and a decent kitchen.

If you get a choice go for the other Fort William backpackers, but if they are full this is OK.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

Do you like the decoration? What decoration??

Bankstreet Lodge will provide you with the basics... a bed, a shower, and a black and white tv... with two channels. It is like a youth hostel with your private room...

The room was kind of used, and the cleanliness made us keep our socks on at all times. If you need to sleep and leave, I guess it is ok, and for a good price. The location is central, for what there is to see in Fort William...

Forget breakfast... I don't even think there is a kitchen, and if you need to leave your car in the parking, you better bring your stunt double....

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

This should not be your first choice if you've arrived in Fort William having just walked the West Highland Way, both myself and traveling companion found that the showers would only produce hot water for four to five minutes, after which it would take ages to heat up again.

However the rooms were of a good standard and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed November 2005
York, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Bank Street Lodge for two nights and found it an excellent place to stay. The staff were freindly, helpful, efficient, and very welcoming. The Hostel is centrally located just off the High Street about 5 minutes walk from the Railway Station. We've visited Fort William on three occasions over the last few years and this is by far the best place we've stayed. It's reasonably priced, £45 for an en suite double room, a good kitchen, a pleasant lounge, and good sized clean rooms. You don't get breakfast but there's more than enough space to store your own food and there's a supermarket just down the road. An excellent place to stay for single travellers, parties, families, and 'older folk' like us. One small criticism, no hooks in the bathroom for clothes.

Been to Bank Street Lodge? Share your experiences!