It was with a little bit of trepidation that we checked in to this hotel after reading some of the trip advisor reviews. In the event we were happy enough with our stay but there can see the reasons why some reviews are less than complimentary. The hotel is ideally located across the road from the station in the centre of the town. Check in was fine, the receptionist could not have been nicer. Payment is made on check in so be prepared. Our room was on the 4th floor which was accessible by a small lift of dubious serviceability - we used the stairs thereafter. Our room was at the side and looked out towards the station. It was a decent size, had a large comfortable bed and was perfectly adequate. The dreaded CRT TV that seem to have caused so much anxiety to previous guests had been replaced with new a flat screen.
There was a complimentary tea/coffee tray and fresh milk was available on request which was a nice touch. There was no mini bar or safe but there was a trouser press (does anyone actually use these contraptions?). The bathroom had seen better days but everything worked whilst the decor throughout was from a different era and not one that many people would want to return to.
We were visiting on the hottest weekend of the year and the room certainly got quite warm. This is rarely a problem in Fort William but having the window open allowed a bit of air to circulate but also let in the noise from the road outside. There is no AC and I wouldn't expect it at even a five star hotel in Scotland.
The public areas of the hotel consist of the restaurant, bar and a couple of lounges. The restaurant did a good buffet breakfast but seemed to be an organisational nightmare for the staff who had to juggle the needs of regular guests and those on tours. It is best that you don't study the furniture, either in the restaurant or the lounges. The chairs are stained from years of (hopefully) breakfast detritus whilst the lounge settees gave up the ghost of being comfortable many years ago. There's free wifi in the area around reception and what looked like free tea and coffee at certain times.
Overall, a nice location, decent sized room and friendly welcome contrasted with the fact that the hotel is badly in need of an upgrade in a many departments.
- Also Known As:
- Alexandra Hotel Fort William
- Alexandra Hotel Fort William, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As Traditional Nineteenth-century Hotel, The Alex, as it is known locally, has been an iconic feature of Fort William for the past 125 years. Situated in the town centre the hotel is minutes away from the High Street, Bus and Train Station and Pier. With a welcoming staff team,good freshly made food and clean rooms, the Alexandra Hotel offers you a home from home experience with an old world charm ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Alexandra Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.