“Not really sure?” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Birmingham
“Not really sure?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Well, we'd been to the Stables under its original guise as an Italian Restaurant and always been very pleased with the quality and value for money. Sadly, along with the management, the direction and quality has got lost! I started with a Portobello Mushroom/Goat's cheese on a bed of 'leaves' with beetroot, followed by what was called a Thai Green Curry. My wife had a tomato soup to start followed by a grilled Salmon joint.
Maybe I should have followed her lead!
The Portobello mushroom and Goat's cheese was OK, but being sat on a bed of leaves and supposedly garnished with four thin slices of beetroot made it ... well, PRETENTIOUS!
Now, moving on to my main course ... well I've had Thai Green Curries in many places around the UK and abroad, and this was ... yukk! The 'sticky rice' was all right, but the chicken, while cooked nicely, was SO VERY SALTY and overwhelmed by chilli. A very SAD main course! I mentioned my concern to the waitress, who as we walked out (having paid) was passing my comments on to (presumably) the manager, who simply 'shrugged'. Maybe I should have made more of a fuss or a complaint rather than a comment? Suffice to say that although we're in Fort William loads, we shan't be going back there in a hurry. My advice - BE CAREFUL!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Scorton
“Restaurant run by amateurs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Expecting an Italian as of recent years we found it newly taken over so thought we would give it a chance even though there were no great smells coming from the kitchen. Our order was taken and after waiting 45 minutes our meals arrives, well almost. Two were wrong and one was missing! Food was nice. When given the bill they had charged us for the two higher priced meals that had been sent incorrectly. When asked to correct this it took another 15 minutes with different people asking each other what was the correct bill! Don't think we will be back in a hurry. Bring back the Italian!

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Fabulous bistro restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Under new management. Had a fantastic traditional steak dinner. The service from the staff was very attentive. Good value for money. If you want a nice meal, a wee bit up market from the usual pub grub then the Stables in Fort William is highly recommended.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin,Ireland
“The devil is in the detail”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food was good & the house wine was good value too. Service was a bit sluggish & offhand but the food made up for that. I had lasagne which was rich so I asked for bit of bread for myself, nothing unusual with saucy food in Italy. A basket with about six thickly sliced pieces of Scottish type bread arrived, not the tastiest of bread unless you like stodge. Ok I thought, when in Rome...
When the bill arrived I was charged £3.90 for the bread. I paid & left with only the taste of being ripped off in my mouth. Sadly I cannot even say anything about the decor let alone the view of the car park.
Unlike the bread my review is gratis.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Whitburn, United Kingdom
“a bite to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

headed in from the huntingtower lodge looking for something to eat and decided to try the stables..very good service and value would recommend it no problem..

Visited August 2013