Inverlochy Castle is somewhere I have wanted to stay for as long as I've been a real student of travel, which is to say more than 20 years. And, given that it is so unique and such a wonderful property, it almost seems like finding ants at a picnic to say anything negative about it, but Inverlochy, for all its magic, is not without faults. Having made my reservations for our rooms and for private dining in The Library six months in advance, it was more than a little offputting to then have the greeter immediately ask us when we arrived if we wanted to dine in the Red Room instead, even though she quickly assured they had no available times in that venue until 9 p.m. or later. She said the view was lovely there, although I wasn't sure how one could see any view at all in the dark of night. I could only assume that someone else wanted The Library and she was assigned the job of trying to talk us out of it (unsuccessfully), but I found that very troubling for one's initial impression of a hotel. I had also reserved a table six months earlier for breakfast in the Red Room (so we could see the view in daylight), but this same woman advised when we arrived that breakfast would only be served in the Green Room, again without explanation.
The best thing about Inverlochy is the food, which is wonderful and an incredible treat. But to be in a five star hotel and have a burned out bulb on the make-up mirror and have the back of the mirror be, for lack of any better word, "filthy" was very troubling. But most troubling to our party was for the manager to walk by as the women in our party were struggling to load luggage into the vehicle the next morning and greet us but not even raise a finger to help us even though we had just spent $800 U.S. per couple to stay in his hotel. Also, our recommendation would be that the piano player play a little less vigorously and that the lights in the main hall be dimmed a little for cocktail hour. The bright lights and loud piano music were not really relaxing as a cocktail hour should be.
The devil is in the details, and it is in the details that Kinnaird, near Dunkeld, shines above Inverlochy. The former doesn't miss a beat. Perhaps the latter is resting on its laurels?
- Also Known As:
- Inverlochy Castle Hotel
- Inverlochy Castle Hotel Fort William
- Inverlochy Castle Fort William, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Inverlochy Castle Hotel and Restaurant, Fort William, Scotland.Inverlochy is Scotland's finest luxury hotel and restaurant uniquely located amongst the glens, lochs and mountains of the West Highlands of Scotland.At Inverlochy you will experience one of the most relaxing and exciting vacations of a lifetime, where every detail for your comfort and enjoyment has been carefully considered.Rooms & ReservationsEach of the 17 bedrooms, all with private bathroom, have their own individual design and character, along with splendid views of the grounds and surrounding mountains. Room facilities include 30 inch Phillips mirror televisions, personal laptop computer with internet access, personal safe, cd player, radio, iron/ironing board. DVD player and video player as well as Playstation II available upon request.Below are small images of our rooms at Inverlochy. By clicking on the images you will be taken to a page with a 360°, interactive image of the entire room. This allows you to capture the unique atmosphere of our very individual rooms and make the choice of which of our luxury rooms you would like to reserve.Dining at InverlochyDinner at Inverlochy is an experience to savour in any of our three dining rooms, each decorated with period and elaborate furniture presented as gifts to Inverlochy Castle from the King of Norway.Dining at InverlochyDinner at Inverlochy is an experience to savour in any of our three dining rooms, each decorated with period and elaborate furniture presented as gifts to Inverlochy Castle from the King of Norway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Inverlochy Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.