“Wonderful Experience” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Castle   |   Torlundy, Fort William PH33 6SN, Scotland   |
Oban
“Wonderful Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Ourselves and friends had a lovely lunch in beautiful peaceful surroundings.Pre-meal drinks in the drawing room,lunch in a lovely dining room and coffee in the big hall in front of the fire.Quiet peaceful,no rush,excellent service.Food was excellent,very tasty and well presented and served.Only gripe was the very expensive wine list.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit for lunch at Inverlochy. I am so very happy to read that you enjoyed your time so much and enjoyed the food and service as much as we would hope all guests to. Thank you for your comments regarding our wine list. We try to source a good variety of wines from all ends of the globe and with a variety of price, high end and some more modest. We will certainly take your comments on board and amend where necessary. Thank you again for your kind comments and joining us for lunch.

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Filey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having visited Fort William on holiday, we stumbled across this hotel and restaurant and called for lunch. We saw that this was a 5 star hotel and expected a very good lunch. We were NOT disappointed. A delight of a hotel and restaurant with attentive staff. You can choose from a simple sandwich and coffee to an excellent value set lunch menu. Can be a little pricey dependent on what you choose especially drinks but the wine list is extensive and of varied cost. Some would think the hotel a little pretentious but we turned up in jeans and t shirts and were treated in the same manner as the obviously wealthy Americans sitting on the next table. The surroundings are astounding and the furnishings so welcoming and comfortable. This may not be a regular destination for everyone but is a must for a special occasion. Nothing but praise for the hotel, restaurant, staff and service 10/10

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review and for taking the time to stop in at Inverlochy Castle for lunch. It seems that you really did enjoy your time here. We strive to offer a very high level of food at all times and have it served in an efficient, professional manner but relaxing to the guest at the same time. I’m glad this came across for you and enjoyed. We hope to welcome you back to Inverlochy in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

As part of our trip to Scotland we wanted to take afternoon tea at somewhere magical, Inverlochy Castle delivered, from the moment we arrived we were made to feel special. Greeted on arrival by our waiter who stayed with us for the entire time. The quality of the afternoon tea was astounding, attention to detail from the handmade cookies to the exquisite pastry case on the strawberry tart was spot on. Tea was free flowing and we sat outside to take in the views, we were even asked if we'd like to take the boat out on the lake. After eating our meal we wandered through the beautiful gardens and were shown some of the amazing rooms of the castle. Nothing was too much trouble, we could have easily spent the day there. Excellent value at £25 per head, we will revisit!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your afternoon spent with us having afternoon tea. Food and service is very important aspect at Inverlochy and having two fantastic lounges as well as the outside terrace with an excellent afternoon tea to suit is a fantastic way to spend the afternoon. We are so delighted that you have enjoyed your afternoon tea so much and Inverlochy as a whole. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The castle is magnificent. With a real "Downton abbey" feel to it, the furnishings and decor are as they should be. The rooms are gorgeous, with bucolic views over the amazing lush countryside. The bathrooms are enormous, the beds comfortable, the temperature ideal. The cows grazing in the back gardens are an extra touch; the small pond not quite hidden from view is perfect.
The staff I met was friendly and helpful. I am a Naturalist and asked three staff members where I could go for a walk and all three pointed out different but equally interesting sites: I particularly appreciated the tip that took me to the old castle cemetery in which the beloved Pancho (a three-year old dog) was buried. One suggestion: maybe you could lend wellies to the exploring guests?
Breakfast was good but we missed a buffet - having travelled a lot my family and I have decided that buffets are definitely the way to go for a leisurely, stress-free breakfast. That said, the breakfast at the castle is top-notch (albeit a bit slow, maybe).
We were trying to understand what to do on Skye the next day, so we asked a staff member and, not knowing what to say and, maybe, not wanting to look for the information himself, he led us through a narrow corridor, past the kitchen where we saw heaps of dirty plates piled up, to the staff office. We ended up researching our own info on a hotel computer and everything went well, but we considered it quite unprofessional behaviour on his part. I must say that Jane, in the office (the manager's namesake) was wonderful, helpful and fun to work with :)
As a small note, my sister (an archaeologist) and I (a naturalist) noticed a reproduction of a megaloceros in the snooker room. We asked about it, and a staff member said it was an original megaloceros skull and antlers. We refuted this statement but the staff member insisted... We remain convinced of our opinion; I noticed that the manager reads and often answers reviews (a very very professional behaviour, absolutely commendable), maybe she could answer this?
On the whole a pleasurable experience and a castle I must recommend. Please see my review of the restaurant for some insights on our ..not-so-perfect dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the time taken to write your very insightful review. Although we receive an abundance of positive comments and accolades, we also very much appreciate any negatives or words of advise to better our product in any way we can. I thank you for these comments and words of advise and they will be used in a constructive manner. A big part of Inverlochy’s day to day business is to help in any way possible with regards to activities, things to see and do and certainly excursions. Upon speaking to the person who tried to assist with your Skye trip, David, my Assistant Manager, he was saddened to read your review regarding his assistance. David mentioned how he shared with you his stories of Skye and how he spent and what he seen on his full day visit to the Island with him literally being there 2 weeks prior to your planned trip. He also mentioned that you pointed out you were trying to plan the trip using a mobile phone device but were unable to connect to the internet from our Drawing room. By offering you a computer in one of our offices, David merely wished to offer you this access to the internet you wanted, with Jane’s assistance, in order that you would receive the full information that Skye has to offer from the walks, guided tours, boat trips, wildlife sightings, restaurants and many more activities. With the exception of the laptops we offer guests to use with in their rooms, our reservations office is the only place to do such a thing. I send my sincere apologies if this seemed anything other than what it was meant to be, assistance in you gaining maximum information for a possibly great excursion. I also send my apologies with you being less than satisfied with your meal. I wish you had of said at the time so we could have been given the opportunity to amend where necessary. We pride ourselves on offering a very delicate, passionate and precise dinning experience, using the best produce that Scotland has to offer. This coupled with our enthusiastic and dedicated team of highly trained chefs usually makes for an enthralling dining experience. I am sorry once again if this didn’t shine through on this occasion. Our Executive Head Chef, Philip Carnegie has been informed of your comments and will use your review as an aid to improve any dish requiring any possible refinement. Thank you again for pointing out the negatives in your experience as well as your kind words and I hope these issues experienced will not stop you and your family from visiting Inverlochy in the near future.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Scotland and by far our favorite place was Inverlochy Castle. Absolutely stunning views, beautiful property and top notch staff. Everyone was so helpful and pleasant and the rooms were exquisite. The food also was excellent and afternoon tea outside overlooking the lake was a memorable experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time upon your return home to write such a lovely review. Inverlochy prides itself very much so on the high levels of food and service and we are so happy that we have achieved our aim during your time here. I really hope you’ll be able to have a return visit in the near future.

Pickering, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at this castle on August 26th with our two children ages 11 and 13. We had a great time; the hotel staff were excellent; the room was amazing with great views. I would definitely recommend this to anyone staying in the Fort William area. We had dinner that night in the castle and the food was terrific and the staff were great. We only stayed one night but wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review regarding the recent stay had at Inverlochy Castle. As well as Inverlochy hosting many couples, we of course welcome and receive many families with children and I’m delighted that you and your family enjoyed the experience at Inverlochy. It was a pleasure to have you here and I look forward to you possibly returning in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

If ever a hotel needed updating, it is Inverlochy castle. Our family stayed in the lodge house. Nothing worked properly. Cheap accessories, impossible to use bathroom, poor layout.
They do not even get the basics of hotel keeping right. our duvet was smaller than our bed. Our first night, either my wife or I were covered but never both at the same time! The manageress is helpful and friendly but the rest of the team were frequently inept and many could not understand basic English. The food on the first night was dreadful, our Angus steaks were tastless lumps of meat. On the second night it was far better but still a long way from what you would expect from a Michellin starrred restaurant. This place is trading on its reputation. It needs a new owner with taste who cares about it and who will lovingly restore it.

Room Tip: Avoid the Gatehouse. It is not fir for purpose. Noisy, badly appointed, far from the main hotel and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to our Gate Lodge at Inverlochy Castle Hotel. As I was when we spoke directly, I am equally saddened to read that your stay was less than perfect for you and your family. With regards to your comment about the duvet, it was a king sized duvet on your king sized bed but upon making us aware that you wished a larger and lighter option, we happily made this alteration for you and supplied a super king duvet. I’m sorry if this still wasn’t suitable for you. I’m equally sorry that your meals were not as you would hope for in our Michelin starred restaurant. Upon doing a quality check of your meal during main course, dessert and in the lounge by my Assistant Manager, David, we understood you and your family were enjoying the food but then expressed your dislike for one of the main dishes, the fillet of Aberdeen Angus Beef. You believed it to be dry. I again apologize that it wasn’t to your liking. It wasn’t until the next day that you expressed your dislike for all three of the Beef dishes ordered and now to my surprise you didn’t enjoy the second night after further quality checks taking place by my Duty Manager, Ryan and informing him that everything was far superior to the meal the evening before and every effort being made after your initial comments regarding your Beef. I am now finding out through Trip Advisor that the second meal wasn’t to your liking either. Should you wish to discuss any further issues then please do not hesitate to contact me directly at:

janewatson@inverlochy.co.uk

Hotel Manager.

Been to Inverlochy Castle? Share your experiences!