“Thank you John” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inverlochy Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort William
Inverlochy Villas
You added Inverlochy Villas to your Saves list
North Rd, Fort William PH33 6TQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #67 of 117 Fort William B&B and Inns
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Thank you John”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were well pleased by the place and the value. The delight about bed and breakfasts is the variety and individuality. If you want guarantees and cookie cutter approach then go to a Travelodge or Premier, but I have stayed in ALL types of accomodation and found this to be very good and hospitable. We were husband, wife (in 60s ) and a mother in 90s. We all slept in the same room as that was all that was available, a doublé and a single. We have NO complaints except about the weird review by ashuk and his "New definition of En Suite and ties on the room".....forget his evaluation and try Inverlochly Villas.

Room Tip: Talk to the owner, all are quiet as far as I could determine
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We had been on the road for approx. 6 hours travelling to Forte William. When arriving we could not find a B&B on the front which we could stay for a total of 3 days together. We decided to carry on out of Forte William when we came across Inverlochy Villas with a vacancies sign outside . My hubby went in & asked if there was a room for approx. 3 days. He came out & said it was continental breakfast only. Having only had full English Breakfast for over 20yrs in a B&B I sort off screwed my nose up a little. I agreed to stay as I was so tired. John took us to our room & I must say I was very impressed by it. It was huge with chairs that you could sit on while watching the television. John told us to treat the place like home & if we wanted anything to knock & just ask.
We stayed for the full 3 days. Made ourselves at home. The bed was fantastic & we had really good night sleeps. We had our own shower but had to share the toilet but it was not really a issue.The continental breakfast in bed was great & I have to say it was the first time I did not feel bloated & ill after eating breakfast & I really felt I enjoyed the days walking around until I was ready to eat again. Continental Breakfast has changed my views completely.
Based on the service & how we were made to feel at home I cannot see how anyone would give a bad review.
We completely enjoyed our stay & will be only staying here again next year.

Thank you John & Adrian for making our stay welcome.
See you both soon
Tracey & Chris

Room Tip: Couples should ask for the blue double room which is spacious & has chairs in it to sit on while...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirkintilloch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We made a last minute decision to take advantage of the fine weather by spending a couple of nights in Fort William and after a fruitless search for accommodation sent an email to Inverlochy Villas at 22:44 on Sunday night more in hope than expectation. Much to our surprise it was answered by email and phone and we had a room within 10 minutes. John explained that they always keep a room till the night before “rather than being overbooked” which struck me as implausible at the time for an establishment with only 7 rooms but all the recent reviews were 5 star and I guess I missed the one from “tanner833”. I also see now that all the recent reviewers have only this one review to their names, which may explain a lot. I also didn’t see the reviews at the end from the Italian party; if I had read any of them I would have stayed at home rather than go there, which would have been the correct decision.

On arrival at 3.00pm we found a note directing us to Room 2 and John was quickly on hand with tea, coffee and biscuits in the quaint lounge complete with plastic sealed whiskey book for your frustration and meercat toys for what purpose it was not clear.

We walked into Fort William and back in the afternoon and evening along the cycle path pointed out by John. As my wife is a slow walker it took about 45-50 minutes each way; I reckon I could have done it on my own in a little over half an hour. To be fair to John, he did offer to drive us in and collect us later.

I must admit that I was also taken in by the description on the web site “Lovely, comfortable, elegantly decorated rooms with en-suites.”; any resemblance between the rooms and the desription was purely coincidental. Not that it makes any difference but we didn’t receive “a complimentary nightcap in your room” either.

All this and breakfast in bed for £25 pppn, too good to be true, and it certainly was (too good to be true).

Just to be sure I have looked up the definition of “en suite” and find that according the Oxford English Dictionary it is “(of a bathroom) immediately adjoining a bedroom and forming part of the same set of rooms” and according to Black’s Law Dictionary “In the Hotel industry, it is French, meaning those items included with a room, like amenities or features as in a private bath and toilet.

I don’t know if any of the other rooms had a toilet but Room 2 in the “east wing” certainly did not. It did have a shower cubicle in the corner (see picture) but that does not constitute adjoining or private since the occupant of the second/single bed (not applicable to us, so no issue there) would be able to see either of the occupants of the double bed taking a shower. As others have described there is a communal bathroom serving Rooms 1, 2 and 3 on the first floor (second floor to American readers) but there are notices (see picture) asking guests not to use the shower or Jacuzzi so as not to inconvenience other guests. It certainly was not convenient to have to wrap a towel round oneself in order to use the toilet in the middle of the night or second guess when other guests would be using the facilities in the morning.

The bedroom had a tiny sink basin more suited to a cloakroom with barely room to perch a tube of toothpaste on the edge or wash your hands and a rusting metallic contraption that wobbled from side to side (see pictures) on which to place your other essentials if you cared to take the risk. The light above the very low mirror did not work and neither did one of the bedside lights; which we discovered after we had undressed and it was too late at night to do anything about it.

There were two reasonable quality bath sheets in the bedroom but no hand towels at all.

The toilet seat in the communal facilities was not properly secured and moved from side to side. There were three old bars of soap at the sink which is not a hygienic practice in a communal toilet facility but there was also a liquid hand soap dispenser.

The owners also followed a practice I first saw in a B&B on Roanoke Island, NC, where they leave out toiletries left behind by previous guests for the convenience of current guests. This was helpful for me as I had forgotten my own deodorant and was able to take advantage of an aerosol spray. However, I think you would need to be pretty desperate to use someone else’s left behind toothbrush and the display was not well presented above the owner’s cleaning materials.

The surfaces in the room had had a cursory clean but the notice advising that check out was at the unusually early hour of 9.30 am and that to facilitate your early removal, breakfast would be served between 8.00 am and 8.15 am (which it duly was) was encrusted with dust as were all the edges of the mixed old furniture, which my wife described as like being out of a house clearance. In my opinion the reason why breakfast is served in your room is that they are using the dining room as an office and also because it allows them portion control and to exclude items such as cereal (or cooked items) which you would expect to find in any other b&b.

But that wasn’t the worst of it by a long way. When I opened one of the bedside drawers I found a collection of about half a dozen (I didn’t count them for fear of catching something) old ties (see picture). In the other drawer I found a smoke alarm pristine in its packaging (see picture). On the other side there was a dirty old curtain and some new bed linen also still in its packaging. For some reason in the height of summer there was an electric blanket on the bed and a hot water bottle hanging on the door. The top sheet on the bed was very thin and could usefully have been replaced with the new one.

The mattress on the double bed clearly had seen better days and was lumpy and uneven and I barely slept at all.

If we had had an alternative other than driving 100 miles home again we would not have stayed one night in this establishment but as it was we made our excuses in the morning and left after one of the two nights we had booked.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Two of us stayed here before heading to the Isle of Eigg fest and what a great place to start our weekend. Despite our late arrival, John was more than happy to help and had a good chat with us. It was like we had known each other for years! Anyhow, very clean, quiet and comfortable room with all the modcons and continental breakfast brought straight to our room right on time! As they say in Scotland, ye cannae beat it! Thanks John and Adrian. Oh, and the free Ben Nevis miniatures went down a treat!

• Stayed June 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Very homely and a place where you can relax, John and Adrian are great hosts and Inverlochy villas is great value for money. Breakfast is served to your room. There is a guests' lounge where you are free kick off your shoes and feel at home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nantes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Inverlochy Villas for one night in April. It was very nice. Adrian was very helpful and friendly. The room was very nice, with a shower in, also. He served us breakfast in bed the following morning by knocking on the door and letting me collect it. The breakfast was fantastic, croissants, waffles, toast, tea, coffee, a fruit bowl, and I'm sure other things. On leaving, he was only too willing to offer us local tips about where we were going next, etc. I would definitely stare there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Upon arrival at Inverlochy Villas we were greeted by John who was friendly and informative. He explained that there had been a burst pipe the night before and they (him and Adrian) had worked late in to the night to get it sorted.
After having a cup of tea, we took our suitcases to our rooms and went out for something to eat.
Upon returning to the B&B my wife and I went to our room to unpack. There was a cuddly teddy on the bed, which she thought very unusual. On closer examination of the bed linen, she found hairs and stains on them. Going in to the bathroom, she found used soap with hair on in the shower cubicle. The cubicle itself was not clean, and my wife said she couldnt use it.
At the time, I went to use the toilet (in seperate room across landing) and found it stained with faeces.
This prompted me to take a closer inspection of our room, but when I opened the wardrobe, I found one side was dusty and empty, and the other side was full of ladies dresses and hats.
My wife then went to see our friend (we were a party of three) who was in the twin room next to ours. Our friend said "whatever you do, dont look at the sheets, and dont use the toilet across the landing" .
"Too late" I said, and that was when it was decided that we were leaving.
To save any embarrassment and spoiling our holiday with a confrontation, we told John we had to leave due to a phone call received.
We felt strongly that we had to write this review, as we felt we had been mislead by other reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Inverlochy Villas? Share your experiences!