“warm scottish hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dalchreggan House

Dalchreggan House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fort William
Dalchreggan House
You added Dalchreggan House to your Saves list
Achintore Road, Fort William PH33 6RQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #78 of 117 Fort William B&B and Inns
wilmslow
“warm scottish hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My first impression and reaction to this B&B was very favourable. The house and rooms are large and spacious, with best quality fixtures and fittings, which give an overall feeling of comfort. The front of the house has a fantastic view of the Loch. The location is excellent with just a steady 10 minute walk to the centre of Fort William. The breakfast was excellent and portions were generous and the staff were very helpful and anxious to please.
The owner Kenneth was very friendly and helpful and his local knowledge of the area proved invaluable. I would certainly highly recommend this B&B for a stay in Fort William.

Room Tip: The front of the house rooms all have a good view of the loch.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I strongly advise anyone against booking accommodation at the Dalchreggan Guest house in Fort William and to keep away from it and look elsewhere at all cost. You WILL NOT be treated as a guest for sure!

I usually take care in judging accommodation based on Trip Advisor comments and had booked this house despite reading bad comments about Kenneth, the owner of this place, and I came to regret this decision.

This guest house owner is a total disgrace to Scottish hospitality and I wonder how such a person can work in the tourism industry. I never had the chance to experience the room itself as the door was shut at my face when I arrived to check in. Upon arriving I was told it was fully booked, and that I had phoned to cancel my booking – this was of course not true. When I informed him I had not done this he just said he had misunderstood and slammed the door! No apology or advice on finding alternative accommodation for the night. Needless to say I was furious and have decided to post and provide feedback on his unacceptable performance wherever possible. Luckily I work in the Scottish tourism industry and I have loads of contacts, so Kenneth can be sure I will use the power of word of mouth to broadcast his rank rudeness.

This is to caution you not to go to this place, there are lots of accommodations in Fort William where you will be very well welcome. I ended up at the West End hotel in the city centre, which was better in so many ways: hospitable and cheaper.

You have been warned!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Limburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed in Dalchreggan House in April 2012.

Beautiful old house, spacious rooms, excellent facilities, located close to Fort William centre

Landlord Kenneth is a very friendly and helpful host.

Breakfast was fine, overall impression is very good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cloppenburg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I read the critics on Tripadvisor and as promised: We saw the owner only on the day of arrival! When we left after 2 nights I had to pay in cash (no creditcards accepted!!!) I asked the maid for a receipt. She vanished in the (forbidden!) backroom, talked to the owner, came back and gave me the paper. No reason for the owner to get his bottom out of the sofa to say Goodbye!

No Wi-Fi, only cash payments, no service!

If you want a friendly family-run B&B, nice talking, signs of human interaction and not a `Bates Motel´ - avoid this place!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
patrols, Owner at Dalchreggan House, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Firstly, i wish to say that Dalchreggan is a friendly and welcoming house and always has been. I do not know what has made this man so angry but i do not beleive it was his stay here. What moves him to accuse me of sitting on my bottom, he has no justification for saying so and this is nothing more than a malicious slur. At the time i was busy in the kitchen as usual ,and if i am preparing breakfasts it is dificult for me to interact with my guests as much as i would like. The ability to review on the web brings with it a responsibility to act with fairness and maturity.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

this was the third time I and my family have stayed and it just gets better and better. Anyone who faults this accomodation should really just stay at home because travel is obviously not their forte. If you haven't stayed before its a black granite former merchants house on the shores of loch Linnhe with views across to some very large mountains AND its only 3 mins walk to town centre.We have had a different room each time we visited and all are large in the extreme with high ceilings and the most amazing and tasteful en suites - the like of which it would be difficult to find even in the most bijou of boutique hotels. Cleanliness is paramount throughoutand Margaret the daily helpis the most delightful character. Breakfast considering what is being paid would compare with 4* establishments in a lovely big room with again superb views. People on here have made comments about Mr. Mount, and while i readily admit he is not the regular full on and in your face tyope of proprietor, i have always found him to be friendly helpful and informative - what more does any one want from the landlord? As a footnote to this I asked about the comment on here regarding the forbidden room - he was annoyed when people negotiated their way through his kitchen , theough his sitting room and into his bedroom where he was changing - having just come from the shower! Who would not be annoyed at that. No he does not accept credit cards and this is reflected in his level of pricing - no add ons for commission, nowhere on the website or on the approach to dalchreggan does it intimate cards are accepted. i would have thought that to check up firstt on this would just have been a sign of commonsense let alone intelligence. I enjoy very much staying here and hope i will do so for a long time in the future and very much resent people casting aspersions on this establishment - it make me feel as if there is something wrong with my judgement and perception of quality. Perhaps their is a hidden agenda- i always think that of the seven deadly sins jealousy is the least attractive and least fun.
I would thoroughly recommend Dalchreggan to anybody for any reason or length of stay.

Room Tip: any - youre spoilt for choice!!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

A lot of reviewers seem to take exception to the owner of the place... He may not be much of a conversationalist but he was very considerate to us. On our first day in Fort William we got drenched and he knocked on the door to ask if we wanted any clothes tumble drying.

The room was warm, clean and pretty spacious compared to the average B&B, breakfast was well cooked (and there was plenty of cereal, fruit etc., if eggs aren't your thing). The place is also good value (cheapest we could find at short notice at £50 for a double room).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our Australian visitors and we spent 6 days at the Dalchreggan House B&B, Fort William at the beginning of August. The owner answered the bell on the first day but we never saw him again. The house was quite pleasant in a beautiful location and the rooms were comfortable. The breakfast menu could have been more varied though as if you didn't have one thing, there was never extra of something else! A day before we were leaving we were told by the lady that served that they accepted only cash payments. This should be made clear either on this website or on the property outside that CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Dalchreggan House? Share your experiences!