“please ignore the bad reviews” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 61 Restaurants in Fort William
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Leicester, United Kingdom
“please ignore the bad reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

clean friendly great value for money prepared supermarket cafe food at its best....not restaurant quality but certainly not their prices.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Scotland
“Tables were not cleared, dishes were piled up”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Called in twice. The first time for a cup of coffee. The coffee was ok. But was dismayed to see the mess on the tables. You had to clear one yourself before you could sit down. Not sure if the staff were being neglectful or if they were needing more help.
Called in a second time and had a prawn salad. It was nice and fresh. The tables were more clear.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Store & Cafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Not only is the cafe in disarray, the store is following suit, the staff tell you they don`t know what is going on, and the managers look at you gone out, and have no answer to give you. What a way to run a business.... It is the only largish supermarket in a 50 mile radius, of Fort William, in the highlands (Lidl`s excepted). Morrisons serves remote communities. You will have problems getting certain products, or you may get them and they de-list products.... Had this problem for years.....for example, Delamere Goats Yogurt , used by those who have an intolerance for cows milk, you can`t get it now in Fort William, so don`t try, look elsewhere.. The product used to fly off the shelves each week , now Morrisons have delisted that amongst other things and now folks will have to travel to Oban or Inverness to buy goats yogurt.......No wonder the Fort is declining, we are all going elsewhere to shop, Morrisons does not always meet our need....Tesco`s hurry up and build your store in Fort William, can`t wait to shop there.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Poor State of Fort William Morrisons Cafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Sir Ken Morrison b1931 a grammar school lad, gained retail experience in school holidays by working on market stalls and in his family grocery chain, Wm Morrison`s in Bradford. In 1952 he took over the business from a sick father. in 1956 as chairman and managing director Ken sought to develop the grocery chain Morrisons and I know he would be horrified by the state of Fort William Morrisons Café because he was a hands on chap, he prided himself in what he had achieved. He visited all his outlets in turn with family members, also in the company. I have seen him interacting with staff and customers and he would ask you for your feedback about the store. He was interested in customer experience and fed it back to managers who were expected to act. I had a good experience of his original superstore in Bradford, for many years, it was superbly clean, staff were helpful and courteous, food cooked to perfection in the café, the atmosphere was great. In 2008 Ken Morrison stepped down and soon after his son William, daughter Eleanor and nephew Chris left the company. I still had faith in the Morrisons brand so when I went to the highlands I danced for joy on seeing Morrisons, but my hopes were soon dashed what had happened to Morrisons I wondered.. I visited the café Fort William on many occasions hoping my experience was just a one off. Its café was an awful experience, tables were not cleared, most seats were thick with food/crumbs in the crack between seat and back, tables were sticky, floor and window sills contained much food deposits, blinds were hanging. You waited over 30 mins for food, the coffee machines were usually broken and milk and milk powder was crudded in the tray slide and around feet appliances, cups and cutlery were dirty. The staff seemed demotivated, uncommunicative, robotic, unhelpful and overall their customer interfacing skills were severely lacking. The price of food was reasonable and if you don`t expect a good atmosphere, clean café and highly trained staff, it will be OK for you. In 2010 I wrote to Sir Ian Gibson of Morrisons giving some constructive feedback about my experience in the FW café, together with pictures showing the state of the café, taken on different occasions throughout the year in Fort William. I told him how shocked I was after good experiences in bygone years in Morrisons. My letter must have been intercepted, I did not get a reply from Sir Ian and I still have the letter C Jones in Customer Services, Bradford sent to me. They sent my comment to Glasgow Regional Director David Gardener and Glasgow PPed a letter to me saying they would take up my comments. Then I received a phone call from a Glasgow manager, he was defensive and virtually attacking me for my comments and findings displayed in photographs. In December 2012 I thought I would try Morrisons FW café again to see if it had improved. No chance, in fact I think it was worse.. It took over 30 mins to receive the food, the fish was dried up in the batter, chips hard and reheated, sausage in the all day breakfast was burnt and shriveled, bacon hard. The overall experience was awful two years later, the same conditions remained, dirty food ridden chairs, baby chairs filthy with food, some cutlery had dried egg on knives and between prongs of forks, crudded milk around appliances at servery, dirty sticky table surfaces, fifteen tables uncleared, staff demotivated and rude, some looked cored out, coffee machines (both) broken, and I had paid for a coffee and no one knew what to do (either make a cup of coffee or give me a refund), customers were frustrated at slowness of service, broken machines and lack of staffing skills. I went to find the manager of the store, Donald McWhirter, he looked at me angrily, no sorry, but did say to a staff member as he rushed away, “make him a cup of coffee” (the cafe staff had no idea how to do this, and so it took 25 mins whilst they learned how to make coffee manually, never seen anything like it), by this time I had found the deputy manager, I calmly explained to him events, and that my experience of the café was chaotic and shambolic. This chap virtually tore a strip off me, he was defensive and although I showed him the dirty food ridden seats, tables uncleared and dirty machines, and no drink(because of broken machines) which had been paid for, he still kept trying to argue with me cafe was OK, which made him look silly because he could see cafe in disarray. I felt this interaction was not like a manager/ customer interaction should have been when thing were wrong and Ken Morrison would never have engaged in this type of behaviour. As the FW D manager left me still annoyed and obviously wanting to shut me up and make me feel bad about my feedback, he muttered “this is not the worst Morrisons I have worked in, could think of plenty of worse Morrisons. I was stunned by this comment. So yes, it`s pot luck whether you get good service and decent food, clean cafe in Fort William Morrisons. I am sad and disappointed that Morrisons have engaged staff and managers after Ken Morrisons time, who don’t care about training staff to high level, customers and the produce environment. There is only one supermarket in FW and it is one of the largest employers, they are resting on their laurels and have a captive audience. I worry what the state of the food is like and the kitchen it`s cooked in. Who is colluding with who here to keep Morrisons FW in such a poor state I don`t know, is it top down or somewhere in the middle management ? Will continue to avoid this cafe.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Horrific, Rude, Grumpy Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Do not visit if you want to come out with a vague smile on your face. I got to the till with a coffee and asked for the veggie burger, The woman asked me what kind of veggie burger and i replied that i wasn't sure of the name but it was the only one of the menu.
"I'll just have to look then, shall i?! Would that be the Vegetarian Cajun Burger?!"
"Um, Yes please"
"Do you want onion rings? they're extra.."
"How much extra?"
"I cant remember"

She obviously had the price and the menu up on the till the hold time.
My burger came and it was missing all the salad.
'Orrible