“Super friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Corpach, Fort William PH33 7LR, Scotland   |
Invergarry, United Kingdom
“Super friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Had a great time here and felt like the hosts were always happy to have a chat. Great local knowledge of where to go in the area.
Great bar area and had heaps of fun playing cards with some of the staff.
Super clean.

Room Tip: Book early during event weekends
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Very good value hostel with attached bar at very competitive prices with in town. Rooms were spacious and clean, and the stay was made great by the host! 10/10 Would stay again and recommend to others

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This has been the third time that I have visited Farr Cottage Lodge. I have always enjoyed my stay and a bit of a chat with the staff. Last time I stayed there with my wife.
Twice I have used Far Cottage Lodge for a walk up to Ben Nevis. I still remember kindly my first time there and the advice I received on where to go, how to save money, when and how to tackle Ben Nevis.
Personally I prefer to know the rules of the house so I have been really happy to be told the do's and do nots early on. The bar within FARR COTTAGE is a nice touch. We enjoyed some glasses of wine in the evening.
On the weekend there were quite a few groups of mountain-bikers along and anyone wanting to know which are the greatest tours for bikes around just had to have a drink and listen. Under the week it is was way more quiet and we enjoyed that, too.

We have just considered how to rate the service and tried to come up with something they could have done better, but we could not, so it is 5 stars. The staff asked us whether we would like to come along to a concert and due to the fact that we had not arrived by car they gave us a ride. Well, I don't think I will find staff in Germany doing this in their spare time.

The location is good, it is not in the center of Fort William but there is a good bus connection into town, a train stop for those who want to go to Glenfinnan on the steam train and Neptune's staircase is just a walk away. We enjoyed a walk to the foot of Ben Nevis one morning before we started the hike up but that might not be to everybodys liking.
The rooms are great especially the two-bed-suits. One has a great view of BEN NEVIS and the other has the show and toilete ensuite.
I have to admit it is less fun staying in a 10 bed room with 9 other people who just came in from a bike tour and are sweaty, the clothes wet and dirty,... but well it is not a hotel and to avoid this anybody can book a two-bed-room.

We enjoyed the stay and slept well! We will be back some day!

Greetings

Sven

Room Tip: The rooms are great especially the two-bed-suits. One has a great view of BEN NEVIS and the other ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in the on sweet room, also a stop over while travelling up to the isle of Uist,both times couldnt fault the place great atmosphere, met some great people, and great to catch up with Kirsty on both occasions was very helpful.she does a great job running the place, looks after you well gives you good advice on places to visit in the area. Also read a few reviews on here complaints, they should have pointed these out during there stay not after . Overall its a great place run by kirsty who would have been more than happy to resolve these issues.keep it up kirsty you're doing a great job, look forward to staying again in tge future.

• Stayed May 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here and would go back in an instant. Went to climb Ben Nevis and so this hostel was close and reasonably priced. I had been backpacking all over Scotland and part of Ireland, staying in hostels where ever I went (twenty-five at least), and this one was at the top of my list of favourites (a short list of only about 5 hostels actually). I really enjoyed the small town, which was quiet if you want to get some rest before a long mountain trek. It was also fun to hang out with all of the other backpackers and hikers. The bar inside the hostel was one of my favourite features---really good deal on pints, too, compared to most of the pubs where I went drinking. There's a grocery market (a co-op I think) just down the road a few minutes walk where you can buy food stuffs to cook and prepare at the hostel which had a nice kitchen. I really enjoyed the packaed lunch I ordered as well. Some of my friends balked at my cheese and pickle sandwich with a Mars bar, but it was delicious, especially at the top of Ben Nevis. The staff at the hostel were awesome and helpful and friendly and fun. Wish I had stayed a bit longer to check out the Corpach Sea Loch and Canal, as well as for more hiking. I went solo on this stay but I'd easily bring my spouse (children too if I had them) to check out Corpach and we'd stay at Farr Cottage.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
San Dimas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here for two nights while climbing Ben Nevis last year. Only meant to stay one night but had such a good time we extended it. Great prices and friendly staff. Kirsty did a great job making us feel welcome, booking us in, serving much needed drinks and generally being everything you could want! Farr Cottage is just outside Ft. William, the caledonian canal is on the doorstep and Nevis range is about 5 miles away. Ideal for what we wanted and we've all been back seperately since then whether it's for mountain biking or skiing or walking!
Recommended for anyone who's travelling up this way on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Loughborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Rooms look far bigger on the website than they are in reality. We were there doing winter mountaineering so had a suitcase each plus a large rucksack each- this consumed almost all our floor space in our double en-suite. Drying facility is a damp wooden shed out the back with no heating and only de-humidifier, so essentially useless at drying kit ready for next day use on the mountain.

Heating in the hostel was sporadic at best and I ended up sleeping in a down jacket several times throughout the week. No heaters in the bathroom made it Baltic cold in the mornings if you didn't leave the door open overnight to let heat in. However you wanted the door shut as a funny smell came from the plug holes after using the shower/sink! Fire door in our room had damp coming through it too. Only 2 or 3 light bulbs in the communal area down stairs making it pretty dark in the evenings.

Kitchen was clean and well equipped I can see how there'd be a good atmosphere in summer with more backpackers etc. But whilst we were staying, we were pretty much the only people there.

Location is convenient for the mountains and Fort William, but then so is every other hostel, B&B and hotel in the surrounding area. I'd fork out an extra few pounds and go anywhere else in future, especially in winter.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Farr Cottage Lodge? Share your experiences!