“Would Recommend.” 4 of 5 stars

Alma Road, Fort William PH33 6HB, Scotland   |
“Would Recommend.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Fort William backpackers

I would definitely stay here again.

I arrived, as most people do, very weary and bruised from a long mountainous slog.
At first I was a little sceptical of the bohemian vibe but was soon relaxing into comfortable chairs, reading and taking advantage of the free tea , coffee and Wifi with a nice view over the town.

It's a busy place and its converted from a large old house so some of the facilities and rooms are a little pokey and they could do with more fridge space but the Pros really outweigh this.

Very good people and a great serve yourself breakfast for 2 pounds, close to town and more decent birds than all the other hostels I stayed at.

• Stayed August 2013

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

went up to conquer the mighty Ben Nevis and was looking for somewhere cheap and close by. Fort Willie Backpackers fit the bill. One of the party cancelled so i rang and asked if my 15 year old daughter was ok to come along as she was not game for any moutains and would be staying at the hostel, that was no problem and they looked after her in our absence. very friendly staff and a great vibe. only downside was the smell of feet from the other 3 room occupants which i guess it the risk you take sharing haha. would recommend and would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights with my husband and daughter. We're in our 40's and our daughter is 13. Fun, friendly, warm, inviting, cozy, and full of laughter. Kudos to Robert the Great, whom I think is the best manager I've ever seen. He keep everyone smiling with his joking and superb friendliness. He's into giving 100% service. Making sure the fire is on, the dishes are cleaned, and that everyone is having a good time. I would recommend this place to any traveler, young or old. My daughter love it!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed at a few backpackers all around Scotland and this was by far the best I've ever stayed in. I was here for over a week and loved every minute of it. Very cosy place with a great lounge room, fire is on most nights, and really nice comfortable dorm rooms. The beds are good quality and all the rooms (I moved around because I kept wanting to stay longer) were large enough to always have a good space for your luggage. It's located less than 10 minutes walk from the station, buses, supermarket, post office and pub which was really convenient. Great hill walks close to the backpackers and a beautiful secluded river 15 - 20 minutes away! The rooms and bathrooms are always super clean which surprised me for such a big house. Staff were always friendly and happy, I even heard from another guest that the receptionist, Brent, went out of his way to help a guest who had arrived very much outside reception hours. The manager, Rob, is a climber so he had good local knowledge about the area and was always available to help with questions even out of work hours. The staff also do BBQ's if there's a lot of people and everyone chips in a fiver for a huge amount of amazing food. At first the kitchen seemed a bit small but I've never had to wait to use any appliances so that was fine. Great place for solo travelers, although I met 2 families and a lot of couples who enjoyed their stay too. Loved visiting Fort William, beautiful town with a lot of hidden activities to find. Hope to revisit this backpackers in the future!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a weekend stay in Fort William where we climbed Ben Nevis for the first time. We stayed at the hostel and were more than happy with the welcome, enthusiasm, encouragement, information and humour offer by the staff and fellow residents. It was my friends first hostel experience and at 40+ we were both delighted with the mix of age groups as we thought this was just for the younger generation.

The hostel is well situated close to the town and railway station. It is a dated building with basic facilities that offers lots of character. We both felt very at home and well taken care of. A special thanks to Robert who made our stay very enjoyable indeed. I think everyone should have a Fort william Backpacker experience.

Room Tip: Our accomadation was a twin room on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Went there for two days. This seems to be one of those hostels where travel ambitions come to die - met a lot of people there who came to stay for two or three days but ended up staying for weeks and weeks, not really doing anything (cause what can you do in Fort William after a couple of days?). And it's easy to see why: The whole place is very homy and comfortable, the staff, guests and atmosphere are great, very laid back, friendly, relaxed and definitely a little crazy. Lots of interesting and open-minded people from all over the world, very easy to swap interesting travel stories here. Staff was very helpful and gave lots of tips on what to do and stuff. I'd definitely recommend going there to any backpacker between 20 and 30.

Rooms, beds and breakfast (for an extra 2 pounds, I think) were all fine, linens were included. Very few toilets and showers, however (I think three of each für 38 beds or something?) but seemed to be enough. What I did miss, though, was a locker. Apart from that, everything was great and I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Fort William backpackers mainly because the small size promoted a lot of conversation between guests and and the staff were really friendly and helpful with advice about the best ways to explore the area. So friendly in fact, that on both nights I was there, the manager and the receptionist could be found by the fire pit in the backyard with the guests into the wee hours of the morning. I am a good sleeper, so was able to sleep through the noise. But if you weren't a good sleeper, it would be hard to complain to the manager about the noise they themselves were contributing to. Location is also in favour of this hostel - 8 mins up from the train/bus station.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Fort William Backpackers? Share your experiences!