“Pot luck” 3 of 5 stars

Alma Road, Fort William PH33 6HB, Scotland   |
Hobart, Australia
“Pot luck”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed one night. Got drunk at the hostel. Got drunker in Fort William. Locked ourselves out of our room so slept in spare bed and on the couch. Staff seemed OK except for the guy who went off at me for making a hot chocolate at 2.00am. Can't really say much more about the place but I am sure you get the picture.

Room Tip: Don't leave your key inside your room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

After having backpacked alone for 3 1/2 months around Europe, I've been to many hostels all around Europe...this is the first hostel that's actually a house and feels very cozy and quiet. They've got a dining room where you could sit by the couches and relax, or a backyard to read your book out in the sunshine. I've read the reviews of some of the people that stayed here and I don't think they've seen some of the hostels in the bigger cities such as Amsterdam. On a backpacker's rating of this place, I'd give it a 4.5/5. This hostel is definitely very well maintained on a daily basis, I've never seen a house been cleaned by a handful of staff (felt like they were cleaning their own house)...they were cleaning the top of door window curtains and even behind sofas, something which I've never seen that being done in any other hostels.

Rooms are very well kept as they were tidy and clean. You get your own bed liner for cleanliness. The beds are in very good condition as they don't squeak at all and you get 2 pillows instead of one (nice to have). There's only a handful of showers but I've never had the problem of having to wait for one.

Lastly, the staff has been fantastic! I've gotten to know most of them in the couple of days and they have been incredibly friendly and accommodating in helping me to find accomodations in Portree, Isle of Skye. They called a couple of places in Skye for me and told me which places were available...it really saved me time and money in having to figure out where to go and stay. I've been backpacking for months and when I came to Fort william I decided to stay for 4 days as both the views from the hostel and also the ambience of the place gave me a lasting impression of Fort William. If I ever come back to town, I'll be sure to stay in the same place! Thank you Andy and Terrance for all your wonderful help!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

All in all, hostel was okay enough for a one night stay. I personally didn't like the pervetric names on our beds, but some might find it amusing. The house was nice, but quite damp and not very clean. Service was friendly, so I definetly would say we were treated well. But personally, I am accustomed to a certain level of cleanliness and I was also freaked out by the lack of privacy. Unisex showers are definetly my thing!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I was a bit worried at first with the other reviews on here so went with an open mind because it was the cheapest hostel in Fort William.
This hostel is absolutely fantastic. It's a beautiful old house. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The reception didn't open until 5pm but like the sign says "Make yourself at home and help yourself to the free tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the kitchen".
Free wi-fi! Didn't get that anywhere else..
Thankfully they had a bike shed to store my bike while I hiked Ben Nevis. They even loaned me a map. Take no notice of the other reviews here. Go and check it out for yourself. I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011 via mobile

Nice place with lounge to relax in and clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2011
Iceland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

Worst hostel I have ever stayed at (in ten years and four continents worth of travel!)

Music blasting until 11:30 p.m. Staff were visibly intoxicated from 7:00 p.m. onwards.

Noisy, dirty party place not suitable for any sober person over the age of 22.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Rennes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Not very expensive, we stay for one night in that hostel that is very well located and easy to find. The atmospher about the Ben nevis is nice in this hostel. Very calm, we slept very well on our way to the Northern Highlands!!
That's of course not a B&B neither a luxury hotel but the price worth it!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Fort William Backpackers? Share your experiences!