“Rude Proprieter; Room view of a Kid's Trampoline” 1 of 5 stars

Guisachan Guesthouse
Alma Road, Fort William PH33 6HA , Scotland   |
Ranked #58 of 117 Fort William B&B and Inns
Arlington, Virginia
“Rude Proprieter; Room view of a Kid's Trampoline”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! First, our room. The lodge is split between a main building which seemed more bed and breakfasty, and an annex... We were stuck in the annex. If you're lucky enough to have a room in the front of either of these buildings, you would enjoy a lovely view. However, not only were we in the annex -- which was more or less like a cheap ugly college dorm, we had a room in the back. Room #21. It overlooked the neighbor's backyard resplendent with a trampoline and little kid yard toys scattered about. The guy who brought us to the room when I questioned him about getting one in the front said that this was better than some other double room he could have given me because there was a view... a view? Maybe if I hung my head out the window and looked left. There was no view. The room itself had 2 uncomfortable, creeky twin beds, a desk and a side table. If there were not a closet, there wouldn't have been enough floor space to put my luggage. The room was THAT small. As was the bathroom. So basically, this was not a room you wanted to lounge about in -- at all. And since it was too warm (with no A/C) to not sleep with the windows open... We had to endure bugs as the back of the house (where we were) backed up onto woods. Mosquitos were plentiful INSIDE. The next morning at breakfast, the tables are assigned v. being first come, first serve. Our table was off to the side despite a big window with a great view and a 2-top table under that window sitting empty. So I switched the room placards to be able to sit there. I suppose I could have "asked" to have them switched... but there was nobody around to do that. So instead of being greated by the proprietor lady with a "good morning" as I would expect from a B&B... I was instead questioned about moving the tables and told I wasn't a nice person for doing so. Had this rude woman provided a reasonable explaination as to why the tables were reserved as such, I would have very likely moved back. Instead she was judgemental and told me I'm not a nice person. Last I checked, my money was as good as everybody else's in the room and I told her that since I had no opportunity to enjoy the view, i wanted to sit there... she stomped off in indignation. I was absolutely beside myself that a person in the hospitality world, let alone a place claiming to be a B&B would treat a customer this way. I would never, ever, ever consider staying here again and have advised Rabbies (whom I was on tour with) to remove this lodge from their preferred locations. Plenty of others in town. I can excuse the crap room with crap view and bugs. I cannot excuse rudeness.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed here after completing the West Highland Way walk. The accommodation was clean and comfortable, if a little dated. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lede
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I choose to stay here because they claim to be a bed and breakfast/guesthouse. None of this is true. Its a hotel. And not such a great one.
Choosing a B&B is choosing to stay in someone's home, where you find warmth and cosiness, a place where people live. Staying at guisachan house is none of this, so I was very disappointed about that. People working there were friendly though, but were not the owners, which we didnt see.
Our room was in a different building, looked like some social place. It was clean, but not a place you would stay to kill some time. small and clean bathroom.
breakfast was ok, service was good.
I am definitely not going back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for about a week while my Mum was in hospital. We felt very well looked after during a stressful visit to Fort William. The rooms were very clean and warm (the weather was very cold outside). Breakfasts were very enjoyable. The view over Loch Linnhe is to be enjoyed while you eat your breakfast. There is a private car park. Also a comfortable lounge with the same view. There was also easy access to the Town Centre. You can get 10% off the food at the Alexandra Hotel (nearby) if you show your room key. The food there was very nice.
The hosts at Guisachan were just so friendly! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Fantastic place, well looked after and dried all our sweaty wet kit after a day on the Ben, they even supplied sandwiches. Would stay again. Easy access to Fort William high street and restaurants, great curry house at far end on right. Our favourite bar was the Needlesports one with open fire and large steaks. Great trip.

Room Tip: Request a Loch view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Travelling with my sister & nephew we got in mid evening, no problem for Mathew & Edith, we had a family room with comfy bed & great breakies. Convienient.location as we were.interested in catching steam train to Mallaig. Very helpful on where to go & do. Stayed 2nights, both at late.notice. Off street.parking available. Thanks for looking after us.

• Stayed October 2012
Whitefish Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

As I ended the West Highland Way (after a tough last day due to weather conditions), the Guisachan House restored me! The owner (from the Netherlands) was beyond gracious as she helped me and other guests with whatever we needed. I spent two nights here before continuing onto the Great Glen Way and I felt refreshed due to the warm hospitality of this place. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Guisachan Guesthouse? Share your experiences!