“Business stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 220 Inverness B&B and Inns
Stornoway, United Kingdom
“Business stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Great hosts, fabulous food. Room 3 is a single with separate bathroom, is divine, best bath ever , nice and long, shower available too, toiletries provided. Waitress Sue is fantastic. Nothing too much trouble for hosts. Close enough to town, but up steep steps if on foot, those with impaired mobility would benefit from a vehicle.

Room Tip: Single people who enjoy a bath, opt for room 3. Not ensuite but bath is to die for. Only two steps a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I cannot say enough about how truly wonderful our stay at Ardconnel House was. To begin with there was my husband and I booking our stay, then our friends as well; all with different and odd schedules. John and Elizabeth didn't bat an eye in accommodating us. Then there was the warm welcome, the beautiful house, the great local recommendations, the lovely room and the delicious breakfast. Not to mention the absolute perfect location for exploring Inverness! Elizabeth, John and Sue made our visit to Inverness truly special; we felt like family. Last, but not least: Our group of four was at the train station with 20 minutes before our train to Edinburgh was set to depart when I realized that my wallet was missing. We tore through my luggage to no, went through where I had last seen it and thought we should try calling John and Elizabeth to see if I had dropped it there. As fast as lightning, John was able to find my wallet. Due to our extremely tight time crunch, he also personally drove it down to the train station, passing it off to my husband, who sprinted to catch up with me as we both hopped on the train right as it was leaving the station. What a life saver!!! That is true hospitality and kindness at its extreme and very best. Thank you so much John, you truly saved our whole group and I am deeply grateful!
You can't go wrong with Ardconnel House, you just can't.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was the first B&B on our anniversary trip to Great Britain, and it was excellent. We were treated like guests in a private home rather than as tourists. The room and the appointments were fantastic, there was a lovely lounge across from our room with a fireplace, the hosts were exceptionally welcoming, and the breakfasts were top-notch. Not only did you get the "traditional" English/Scottish breakfast with eggs, meat, toast, etc., a lovely assortment of Danish and Croissants was included, along with great coffee, and our own private table near the window. The location was so convenient - within walking distance of the train station and other great sites. All-in-all a wonderful start to our two-week trip. I would recommend the Ardconnel to anyone who wants a terrific B&B experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

A true blue Scottish B&B, the kind that reminded of the sort you found everywhere 30+/- years ago. My Mother and I stayed 5 nights and got a real feeling of home. Now that's not to say it's not modern- all mod cons and then some. It's the quiet, almost genteel hospitality of really staying in someone's home as an honored guest. Where to start... the neighborhood. Perfect. 10 minute walk to Castle Tavern, 10 minute walk to downtown Inverness. Plenty of parking, including a zone parking permit. Rooms were spotless and the loo and bathing facilities (en-suite) were very nice. The one thing that truly brought back memories was the "residents lounge" on the second floor which you almost never find anymore. A lovely place to get out of your room and watch telly or read or have a glass of sherry. Now the breakfast. Most places you find a cold continental and that's it. Not here. Every morning, in addition to the cold continental, was a made to order Scottish breakfast with the best poached eggs ever. I tried haggis and it was wonderful! But even more wonderful was Sue, the morning breakfast helper. I wanted to take her home and have her take care of me! John and Elizabeth are truly gracious hosts and I can't recommend enough their establishment. I'm already dreaming of a trip to Inverness next year and John, Elizabeth and Sue are in that dream! Also - we had to leave at 6am on our last day to catch a plane back to the States from Glasgow, and John was up with a picnic for us to take on the road so we wouldn't be starving! Wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The location was excellent, very close to the castle and river walk. Owners were very helpful on things to do, places to eat, etc.

The only downside was the shower was extremely loud. So loud you couldn't hear the tv when it was on. Fortunately couldn't hear the shower from the other rooms, so maybe it was just ours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I came to inverness as a stop of our Scotland road trip. Having spent a night in a horrible hotel in Portree, Isle of Skye, we were particularly anxious to get a decent hotel or B&B that day.
Luckily, the stay at Ardconnel House was fantastic. The room was large, nicely decorated and, most importantly, very clean. The people at the B&B were very friendly and helpful with providing interesting information about what to do in Inverness and where to have dinner that evening. Breakfast the next morning provided variety and was generally of high quality. Additionally, the location of the place is excellent, as it is in a quiet area and at the same time in the middle of the city.
I can certainly recommend this B&B and will come back to stay there when I visit Inverness again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here and had a very pleasant visit. The location is very good, the B&B and room were cosy and spotless, the breakfasts were very tasty and filling and the owners were very friendly and extremely helpful and the overall customer service was exemplary. We would have no hesitation in returning (which we will do) or recommending this establishment to anyone. First Class! Also, Inverness is a lovely place and well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ardconnel House B&B? Share your experiences!