“Was really excited but the experience extremely disappointing and costly” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux

You added Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux to your Saves list
Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   14 Culduthel Road, Inverness IV2 4AG, Scotland (Formerly Culduthel Lodge)   |
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Falkirk
“Was really excited but the experience extremely disappointing and costly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed for one night paid £220 for room number six. Ended up having little sleep with only a mild apology for the inconvenience. The noise from the kitchen above the room and the constant drone of the fan from I assume was the extractor in the kitchens ,until it was switched off at 23.55 after I complained. We were awoken the following morning at 7.30 am no chance for a lie in with the noise again.
When we first arrive we were told dinner in the restaurant could only be booked for 8.30 for 9pm was not that keen to eat so late ,so me and my hubby were going to eat elsewhere. Following coming back from a walk we were offered a booking for 7.30 for 8pm we jumped at the chance.
Bad mistake ,guess when we got our starter yes 8.55pm and the bread was delivered virtually at the same time. The scallops were cold but I was hungry so I eat them, the manger did offer to deduct them from my bill but they ended up deducting my husbands cheaper starter.
The service was pretty poor at dinner the wine was put into a ice bucket at the back of my husbands chair , after quite some time we were bringing to feel rather neglected so we did have to ask if it could be poured Following this we ended up pouring most of the wine ourselves for fear of evaporation (LOL) hardly what you expect of a five star establishment ,could go on and on but that would bore you to tears. Suffice it to say I won't be back most disappointing expensive experience.
The only positive breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 6
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux and highlighting your disappointment with several areas of the hotel. It is hugely important that we receive all feedback good and bad in order to improve as a team. With regards to the noise in your room, as you know it was myself who dealt with this on the evening and I have further investigated this since your stay, again thank you for highlighting this.

With regards to your dining experience I am in complete agreement that under no circumstances should your scallops have been served cold and as on the evening I send my sincere apologies. As you are aware Chef spoke to you personally on the evening and he is very disappointed with himself for this error.

You are correct in saying your table was booked 7.30-8pm. We allow every guest a 30 minute pre dinner drink interval and therefore when you arrived in the bar at 7.50pm we automatically allowed you the same time. However, we would have been happy to show you straight to your table should you have preferred.

I again thank you for your comments and you can be assured that they’ll be used in a productive manor. Should you wish to discuss anything further regarding your stay, please do not hesitate to be in contact.

Kind regards,

01463 240 089
gm@rocpool.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just returned from a one night stay at the Rocpool Reserve... Absolutely amazing!
Being our 5 year anniversary/my boyfriends birthday I splashed out and booked the Extra Decadent room. As soon as we arrived in the car park we were greeted outside the car door and our bags were carried to our room. We were shown all the features our room had to offer, including our private terrace with our own hot tub and sauna! Such a bonus. The bed was absolutely massive as well which was awesome.
We didn't dine in the hotel as we wanted to chill in our room but we did go to the bar for a cocktail which was lovely. For dinner, we decided to order room service which was so fast. Food was amazing - we both had steaks while chilling in our robes. Bliss!
Breakfast the next morning was soo good. Beautifully presented and so yummy! After one last dip in the hot tub we packed our bags and left. We'll definitely be returning!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful review regarding your stay. It is with reviews like yours that aid us in the combined effort of the entire team to keep push for the high standards we wish to reach in order to continue receiving such praise.

With such a special occasion being the reason for your visit, we of course want to ensure that all aspects of your stay were memorable and so much so that you wish to come back. It is very welcoming to read that this is your plan.

I do look forward to your return and thank you so much for staying at Rocpool Reserve for your anniversary celebrations./

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I booked this hotel for new year and we were not disappointed.
we were greeted by some very friendly staff and asked to wait in the reception with complimentary champagne (and jelly beans) until our room was ready.
We had one of the two rooms with a private hot tub which added an additional feel good factor!!
The rooms were lovely - modern design, clean and classy looking.
The food and service was very good. Good selection of cocktails in the bar, although the bar had just undertaken a course and was attempting some rather crazy mixtures (some of which were I'm sorry to say undrinkable but I'm sure he will get better!!)
Great location too - just a simple five minute stroll down passed the castle and you are in the city centre.

Room Tip: if possible and budget isn't an issue book a room with a hot tub :)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. What better way to bring in the bells than to spend it in the 5 star Rocpool Reserve and have a private hot tub at your disposal.

With being a City centre Boutique Hotel, we work hard to ensure that we have all the modern furnishings and amenities in all the 11 bedrooms we have. I am happy to read that you were to enjoy and recognise the high standard we aim for.

My apologies that some of the Cocktails we produced for those festive months weren't to your liking. The mixing of Cocktails has become a fine art and we wish to be inventive but at the same time traditional with the more commonly know Cocktails. We hope that upon a welcome return of yourselves, we're able to hit the mark when it comes to a drink in our r Bar.

Thank you so much for your kind words and custom.

Kind regards,

Aberdeenshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was our 2nd time staying at the rocpool reserve hotel. We were given a huge comfortable room. Decided to have dinner here as we ate elsewhere on our last visit, the food was AMAZING! EXTREMLEY tastey and beautifully presented. Breakfast in the morning was the same, delicious and plenty of it. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, hopefully we will be back for our anniversary again next year.

Room Tip: Switch air conditioning on in room as they get real warm during the night
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rocpool-Inverness, General Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent Hotel and Restaurant visit at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. Quite simply, our main aim is to offer a 5 Star Hotel experience with food and service to match. It really does make pleasant reading indeed that we were able to give you the all round Hotel stay that myself and of course the staff strive to offer.

I would like to pass on your kind words to the team at Rocpool Reserve which I'm sure will be met with great appreciation.

Thank you for choosing Rocpool Reserve for such a special occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed a couple of nights in this hotel with my son and was overall pleased with our stay. Inverness is not as great as a town as I was expecting but a great starting point for beautiful excursions and sceneries in northern Scotland. First our room was comfortable, well furnished with all the amenities. On the negative note, our room was on a lower ground level on the side of the road and we could hear the cars passing by and the road is quite busy until late at night and early in the morning. A double pane window would be welcomed. Otherwise, the staff was very friendly and professional. Service was 5 stars and the restaurant is worth it's reputation. We had dinner twice and the food was delicious. Breakfast is the best one I had in Scotland and perfect. I will definitely stay at the Rocpool when in Inverness and can only compliment the staff and recommend this hotel. I suggest however for the future guest that they ask for a room not on the side of the road if they are light sleepers as I am.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rocpool-Inverness, Manager at Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Rocpool Reserve and the meal you had in our Chez Roux restaurant.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay to the extent you did and you are more than welcome back when you decide to visit the Inverness area for a second time.

I appreciate your comments with regards to the road noise due to the location of some of the rooms but you are very much correct when you say that it dies down in the evening. We feel however that we are able to compensate for this possible inconvenience by offering a very high level of accommodation. Happily, this is something that you kindly mention in your review and believe you received whilst staying.

Thank you once again for your kind review and we look forward to you having a possible return in the not too distant future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

The service and amenities at the Rocpool combine to make this one of the most relaxing and interesting holidays my husband and I have had. The staff are very eager to help and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Little tips about restaurants (all of which turned out to be different and splendid in their own way), arranging for a wonderful tour guide, organizing taxis, and, of course, the delicious food all make this a very special trip. The rooms were spotless and spacious, with good heat, room service, etc. I really cannot rave enough about our visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to share your experience had at Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux with the Tripadvisor community.

It is very important that we don't just serve wonderful food with service to match, but offer that all round experience such as information of our surroundings. I am happy to read that upon your request of this information, we were able to deliver to a level that made your experience of Rocpool Reserve that little bit more special.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We had a great evening, everything was excellent, from the minute we arrived to be warmly greeted, the special touches in bar for drinks, i.e. olives and nibbles, then taster, then to restaurant, the meal was amazing. We had set menu, the presentation was a work of art and the taste was delicious. I have no negative comments as the whole dining experience was exquisite. Thank you for a wonderful evening, i felt very special. Next trip to Inverness we shall stay at rocpool reserve too, i cant recommend highly eneough. *****

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Rocpool Reserve and Chez Roux. It is always good to read that our guests enjoy their dinning experience as our team of highly trained chefs work tirelessly to create some fantastic looking, but of course, fantastic tasting dishes.

We hope to have you back in the not too distant future and as you mention, perhaps for a stay over to complete the experience.

General Manager.

Been to Rocpool Reserve hotel & Chez Roux? Share your experiences!