“Super hotel, good location, clean” 5 of 5 stars

Redcliffe Hotel
1 Gordon Terrace, Inverness IV2 3HD, Scotland   |
Ranked #170 of 220 Inverness B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Super hotel, good location, clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night, would happily stayed another couple. Hotel was very quiet, just a few other couples, so I wasn't disturbed by noise. Roads around hotel are quiet so no traffic noise either. Room is very clean, well equipped. Shower / toilet room is clean and modern, and all works. Tea and coffee facilities in the room. Good flat screen TV with reasonable choice of channels and excellent signal on them all. I was on my own but had double room so perhaps more spacious than single.

Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

I've stayed here before and it's been fine otherwise I wouldn't go back, but last night, no Wifi ( been like this for a while) according to the Sour faced Lithuanian on the bar, so why bother giving out the password??? The menu in the room which doesn't lock is different from the food available downstairs so you will be disappointed if you want eg prawns there is a constant drone from a fan or boiler or something like that upstairs, a young lady also heard and complained about it, all in all my last visit to the redcliffe you have been warned.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Thurso, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

Check in was ok. Our room was a bit on the small side but nicely decorated and the bath room was lovely but tiny and it was impossible to dry yourself in there. The bed was like sleeping on a brick so i was not able to get any sleep..Also on check in we were informed that there was not a night porter so there was nobody on site to deal with any problems that might occur, just a phone number. At breakfast i asked for the fruit salad, it was the smallest fruit salad ever, no more than a quarter of an apple a few blueberries a couple of grapes and a quarter of 1 strawberry cut into 3 bits. Also there were no croissants which is what you expect as normal part of a hotel breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort William, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

I brought my partner and 3yr old to this hotel and the room is very comfortable for us, the evening menu was varied and food was great. But so far, still here, the staff have been exceptional, they make the place highly recommendable. We'll be coming back

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

Myself and a colleague stayed in the apartment for a week on business. Situated just east of the city centre, it is an ideal place to explore the city, with public transport on your doorstep.
Ground floor accommodation with 2 large bedrooms, excellent kitchen and lounge and ideal for families or like ourselves, business stays.
Very close to local amenities with a large supermarket just round the corner and with fast food restaurants close by.

An excellent place to stay and highly recommend this to one and all.

A big thank you to Derek and colleagues for all the information about our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Had difficulty booking a hotel room in Inverness as it's summer and lots of tourists are visiting. This isn't the type of hotel we would usually stay in but we didn't have much choice.

Easy to find from the town centre with off-street parking. Checking in was fairly straightforward although the member of staff doing it could crack a smile occasionally!

Although there was only two of us we were given a family room which was pretty spacious with double aspect windows letting in plenty of light and surprise, surprise! Working wooden shutters on one of the windows.

The downside of the room was the pretty old and bashed about furniture, most surfaces covered in quite a thick layer of dust which we had to clean off before we could put anything on them. The room needs new decoration and carpets.
The bathroom is a huge disappointment for such a large room, tiny, poky, no natural light and no extractor either?? It really should be enlarged and completely refurbished - not good. I don't know how a family with a couple of kids would cope with the size of it!

We didn't eat in the hotel but had a drink on the terrace, beautiful sunny evening so it was nice to be able to sit outside.

Breakfast was pretty good, choice of cereals, yoghurt and juices to start. Then a menu and waitress service from then on.
We both had the fresh fruit salad which was delicious.
I had eggs benedict and they were very good. My husband went for the omelette Arnold Bennett, he wasn't so impressed by that. Coffee was also served by the waitress so you had to keep trying to get her attention for refills as the cups were pretty small.
A jug of filtered coffee set up by the cereals etc. would be a good idea.

We didn't have an unpleasant stay but I wouldn't think about staying again unless there was drastic refurbishment, some of the stay felt a bit "Fawlty Towers" at times.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Now I've stayed in everything from 1 to 5+ star but maybe I've just outgrown this type of hotel. Certainly it still did provide a few firsts which undoubtedly will make me laugh. One day.
To help I was in room 3 - a single room with a double bed. Where do I begin about the room? I had asked, when I realised that we had two singles and I was the first one there, which was the better/bigger room. The hesitation maybe was a warning that all was not well. I trudged upstairs with bag and golf clubs - no life, no porter, no help (no rooms on ground floor but some are down and some are up).
a) It is at the top of the stairs on the reception side of the fire doors. Thus there is no fire door between you and the kitchen.
b) The room has no fire escape instructions anyway so who knows how you get out of an inferno.
c) The bed is surrounded on 3 sides by walls i.e. you are in a nook. Respect to the cleaner who has to make the bed each day - it must be a challenge. The walls are not the most solid of such a solid looking building so being woken at 6.30 by my neighbour's ablutions (he really should see about the rasping cough) was not what I had hoped for.
d) The bathroom is two paces away from the bed i.e. don't try to swing a cat, you'll only smash your knuckles. There is no space for laying out a case other than on the bed and, to be honest, I was envisioning sharing the bed with my golf clubs. I like them, but not that much...
e) The TV hangs on a bracket at the end of the bed. Or actually, above the end of the bed. Since the bracket is held by 3 screws (no rawl plugs...), the inevitability of a guest having a TV on their ankles one night seems too high a risk.
f) Bathroom is incongruously good but has no windows. The bedroom meanwhile has a sash window which doesn't shut. The lever of the lock has been bent out of shape so that it blocks the lower frame from passing the lock. The upper frame is, meanwhile, painted shut. I suspect that didn't happen yesterday, but the only staff member with sense appeared to be surprised by this new development and promised to inform her manager. The sense I refer to was the ability to act as if nobody had ever mentioned it before - disarming but not convincing and she may now have to find a new version for future guests. (Ditto, the lock on room 6 which can't be locked by key from the outside...).
g) The bar. The locals advised avoiding the Caledonia on draught. More fool me then...The bar is the only public area (other than the restaurant) but it does shut at 11. On the dot. Tough if you've just gone into extra-time Germany v Algeria. And the option to watch it in your room with your mates is a bit limited when there are no seats and no where to sit. Can't remember the last time I got sent to bed before the end of a match. In fact, can't remember a hotel sending guests to bed, full stop. Another first for my collection.
h) Service. Well the hotel is un(wo)manned from 11pm to 7am - hence the desire to lock up the bar and switch off the TV. You get a front door key and there is a mobile number to phone in an emergency (asking the final score after extra time is probably not an option....). At least that way my sleep wasn't disturbed by anyone in reception.
i) Bill. Paid in advance so my bill included the room again. Immediately agreed not to charge me that part so £151 became £51 i.e £50 per night for room 3.
Summary? Wild horses. Normally, if I can't say something nice, I don't say anything at all but when i read 'excellent' in reviews I seriously doubt that we have been staying in the same hotel. I'll try to attach photos later but the room being so small it was hard to get far enough away to do justice to the size...
Despite that, it was clean and the bathroom was surprisingly new - even if the quarter circle shower didn't make turning easy.
Actually, I have started laughing while thinking about it. Now just to have find the agent who booked us in...

Room Tip: Don't take room 3 - it's a sad apology for accommodation
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Redcliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!