“really good location & building,, but unfortunate with the breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Columba Hotel

Save Saved
You added Columba Hotel to your Saves list
Columba Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Ness Walk, Inverness IV3 5NF, Scotland   |
Ranked #31 of 34 hotels in Inverness
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“really good location & building,, but unfortunate with the breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel location is quite strategic, right across the Inverness chateau & only few meters from the St. Andrew's cathedral. The architecture was really nice (old building) with such a warm & good touch of Scottish taste. inside they have so many black & white photos from the old days so sort if telling you the story back than, quite enjoy them. The room was big & clean. So overall the hotel was nice. The only problem is the breakfast. Have noticed that they serve cold poach egg (quite surprise) but luckily you can order so than they'll bring warm dish. some of the dishes were cold as well & the servers were not really seems happy with their job, no smile & they seems rushing in what they doing... just too bad...:(

Room Tip: ask for the room that facing the chateau, quite nice view of the chateau itself & the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your reveiw following a recent stay with us. I was so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I was very disappointed that you did not enjoy all aspects of breakfast and will discuss this with my team. There can be no excuses for poor delivery of hospitality and I am very sorry if this was the case. I do hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Columba soon. With best regards, Amy

545 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and have always had a mixed view of the hotel. It's a central hotel, just a few minutes walk from the main train station, bus station and shopping centre. The hotel looks out over the river ness and the castle, if you are lucky enough to get a room at the front you will enjoy some lovely views, if not the views are not so nice. My room on this occasion looked out over the other rooms.

The rooms can also be mixed, not small and nicely decorated the rooms can be cold and very noisy (I could hear every movement from the room above). I found the beds comfortable and always clean.

For the price this isn't a bad hotel but nor is it something to write home about.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front for good views of the river and castle.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, many thanks for your review following a recent stay with us. I was so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With best regards, Amy
Dundee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, location is great and carparking available at low cost a 2 minute walk away. I wouldn't rate this as a 4 star, but I didn't pay 4 star price so wasn't overly bothered. The room itself was very clean as was the bathroom, but in need of decoration. The wood around the bath was decayed and in need of repair and the towel rail over the bath was rusted. Not what you would expect in a 4 star. When the neighbouring couple returned to their room, we could hear every word that was said. We discovered a lounge area on the first floor that overlooked the river, may be an idea for reception staff to let residents know it was there as we found it by accident. The bar area was nice and staff were friendly. Would go back again but only if I got a similar deal. We were in a room at the back of the hotel, which looked out over the annexe of the neighbouring hotel. Would have been nice to have a view, but as i said before we didn't pay expensive rates so wouldn't expect the best view.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your review following a recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. We are currently continuing with our refurbishment of bathrooms and have completed 42 so far, so I am sorry if you did not have one of these. I am glad you enjoyed the food and the team looked after you and I do hope we can welcome you back and hopefully alloacte you a front facing room over looking the River and the Castle. With best regards, Amy
Ayr UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The first difficulty is having to unload the car in the bay of the hotel next door which has coaches arriving fairly regularly. That being said, although the Columba has no parking there is inexpensive parking five minutes walk away. (£2 for 24 hrs.) The location of the hotel is excellent, on the river and a couple of minutes walk away from a number of excellent restaurants, the best of which we found to be Café 1. The staff were friendly and welcoming,and although the hotel is a little 'tired' it is welcoming and comfortable. The room was adequate, clean and a decent size, with tea and coffee. All in all, good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for your reivew following arecent stay with us. I was so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your kind words will be shared with my team. We are very lucky to have the River and castle as our views and I hope you can come back and stay with us again. With best regards, Amy
Fettercairn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was a short break 12 & 13th Oct. this is our second stay at the Columba due to the location of it.

On arrival Beth the receptionist was so friendly and helpful and friendly. We were booked for executive room with river view. We were given 205 but my partner was not happy with the size and called reception they advised us we could move and gave us 204, this was a suite. They had no problems with this and was so helpful.

The room was brilliant, large super king bed, the room richly dressed in black and gold. There was a large leather couch, chair, table , tv and also a separate desk area with twin lamps drawers. The bathroom was massive with roll top bath, old fashioned toilet and sink unit. Separate shower with water full shower.

The room and toilet were both spotless, plush white fluffy towels, crisp white sheets.

The view alone is lovely, the river ness and Inverness castle.

The breakfast was self service apart from tea and coffee service. The staff in the restaurant were so professional and very nice and noting was too much problem for them. The food was hot ad plentiful. Great selection from continental to full Scottish. There is also a menu for smoked haddock & poached eggs.

All in all there was no faults and I would definitely recommend the hotel for its location, cleanliness and professionalism.

I will be returning there for our next stay to the highland capital.

Room Tip: Room 204 is perfect, with great view of river and castle
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Many thanks for your reivew. I am delighted you had a good stay with us and your kind words will be shared will all my team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, With warm regards, Amy
Cape Coral, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was the second hotel on our CIE Tour and it was very disappointing. It was an older hotel and in much need of refurbishing. It was cramped, dark and very uninviting. The food was OK for dinner and breakfast. Although something did not agree with Johnny as he was sick for the next couple of days. A "Cellidh" was included for our tour and it was lovely. The dancers were very young girls, a family affair with bagpipe, guitar and singer.

I would not recommend this hotel, again it was very disappointing, and not up to CIE standards.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for your thoughts following a recent stay with us. I was sorry to hear that your husband was not well and as we have had no other reports from the average of 1200 guests per week I can only assume it was down to personal tolerance. We are an older hotel, built in the 1800's, however we do have more modern aspects to our building. I am sorry that we did not meet with your expecations and I do hope you had the chance the bring these to our attention at the time, my team would of done their utmost to try and resolve any issues you felt. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in the UK. With kindest regards
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my elderly parents. Arrived at 1 to check in, friendly receptionist and one of our rooms were already ready despite check in not being till 3pm, 2nd room was ready when we got back from a walk at 4ish. Requested easy access rooms on the telephone prior to arriving and this was granted. Rooms right next to the lift which made it easy for my father who has alzheimers and parkinsons. Rooms had new carpets and new curtains but still looking a little tired and in need of a fresh coat of paint. But beds clean and comfy, working tv, tea and coffee in room,plenty hot water and fresh linen and towels both days. Shower easy access too and was walk in. Breakfast was served in the dining room which was just a short walk from the lift on the ground floor. Choice of fruit, cereal, yoghurt, make your own toast, pastries, ham, cheese, hot cooked food. Despite being down in the last half hour they made fresh scrambled eggs and brought more cooked hot food out as well. No rush to clear the tables and nothing was any trouble for the waitresses. General manager was always on hand and checking if we were enjoying our stay and was in recepiton when we checked out to say cheerio. Little touches like this made it an enjoyable stay for my elderly parents. Didnt eat in the dining room but parents had a snack in the brasserie on the saturday and it was nice. Drink in the bar expensive compared to the local pubs but to be expected in a hotel. Live music in the bar on the saturday night which was 2 local girls, one on the accordian and the other a really good singer who also played the guitar. The bar was closed on the sunday night when we got in at 10.45 after being at the theatre but night porter went and got us drinks and served them in the lounge upstairs. All in all a really good central location, 10 mins walk from eden court theatre and 10 mins walk from the shops and the railway station. No car parking available at the hotel but it was only £2 for 24 hours at the car park along the road. No charge for sunday parking and we put in another £2 lat on sunday afternoon so we didnt have to be up and along to the car before 8am on monday morning. All in all a good central hotel.

Room Tip: Executive rooms at the front have best views, rooms 210 and 310 didnt have any view at all but were...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amy W, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for your lovely review. I will share your valuable feedback with all my team and I am delighted that you all had a good stay with us. I do hope we have the great pleasure of welcoming you back soon. With warm regards, Amy

Been to Columba Hotel? Share your experiences!