“Great location for shopping” 5 of 5 stars

Columba Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Ness Walk, Inverness IV3 5NF, Scotland   |
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Stornoway
“Great location for shopping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Columba with my daughter on 23rd October 2012. The main purpose of our visit was for me to visit the hospital in Inverness and for us both to make a start on our Christmas shopping! Sadly, I was unwell at the time of the visit so my daughter ended up doing most of the shopping and I didn't venture far from the hotel. The location of the hotel made it much easier for my daughter to "come and go" as she had to do all the fetching and carrying. Arriving slightly earlier than we should have done, due to me feeling unwell, we were very pleased to learn that our room was ready for us and we were given the key straightaway. The twin room we had was clean, comfortable and warm and contained everything that we needed. Plenty of storage space, drawers etc. We availed ourselves of Room Service to save us going down to the restaurant for our evening meal and the food was freshly prepared and brought to our room without much delay. This was a really big help to us in our circumstances. Breakfast the following morning was nicely cooked and the "help-yourself" style is excellent because you can have as much, or as little, as you want. Although I didn't come into contact with a great many members of staff, I have to say that the ones I did meet were all extremely friendly and very helpful. I would definitely return to the Columba, hopefully, next time, I will be feeling much better and will be able to enjoy it much more!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the river, please ask to upgrade your room as the standard rooms all seem to o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted your stay was a good one albeit you were unwell and do hope that your are fully recovered. Your very kind words will be shared with the team who will be equally pleased. I do hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
With kindest regards, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Lovely large room with sitting area and large bathroom with claw bathtub. The view from our room was of Inverness castle and the River Ness. Hotel and room were very clean and comfortable and staff were accommodating. The only downside was lack of restocking bathroom with additional soap and shower containers, including toilet paper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review following a recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your kind words will be shared with my entire team. It is always a great boost for the team to receive such positive feedback.
I have noted your comment on replacing toiletries as they should be replenished as and when required, so I am sorry if we missed this and will act on this immediately.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Columba soon.
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed one night this week on a business trip and whilst located within easy walking distance of the town centre I was really disappointed with food both at dinner and the next morning's breakfast. For my evening meal, I had the beef which came in two portions, one bit was passable and the other was overcooked and dryer than an Arab witch doctor's chamois leather juju bag. The sweet potato and ginger soup was pretty bland and the bread that was served(eventually) with it was a stodgy lump of dough impersonating bread. I ordered the apple caramel Betty pie and cot a clod slice of pie with the most peculiar tasting caramel sauce on it (again cold) swimming in a cream of some sort. I mention that both the sauce and pie was cold because if it had been described as such on the menu I would not have ordered it. When I see apple pie on a menu the default assumption is that it will be served hot and it should specify if it is not.
Next mornings breakfast was potentially worse than the dinner. It would have been okay if it was hot but everything bar the fried eggs was lukewarm at best and the bacon, although stacked full in the self service tray, was stone cold. I could understand if it was the last few bits left but it was full.
And their haggis is to be avoided at all costs, without doubt the worst haggis I have ever tasted and believe me I've tasted a lot of haggis up and down the country. No wonder foreigners have a poor impression of Scotland's national dish if this offal is what is put down in front of them. So to summarise, by all means, stay in this hotel for the location of it but avoid the food until they get a chef who knows how to work a hot plate properly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy our food in our Restaurant. It is an integral part of our business and I am disappointed that you did not enjoy any element of it. Your constructive comments will be shared with my Head Chef to ensure we are continually improving. We take on board all feedback as it truly does enable us to ensure we are delivering and I am very sorry that you found us lacking on this part, which is rare as we receive a great many positive reviews on our food in both our Restaurant and our Bistro.
I do hope that if you are returning to the area that you will chose to shay with us again so that we can show you our usual high standards of product and service.
With regards, General Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

i know Inverness ( as heeland girl!) and specifically choose this hotel, was a bit gutted on first arrival as got room on 2nd floor couldn't swing cat in, but as soon as i asked to be moved the lovely girl in reception moved us. Didn't eat in the hotel but did drink the staff are really lovely in McNabs and reception, to bar , to night porter. Oldly worldy hotel, if you looking for modern , dont stay here, but if you looking for old original character and clean, its the place to be and the lounge bar, upstairs was amazing with lovely views, SO lovely to chill in, with a lovely night porter attending to your every needs . We went to buy our wedding rings, so wanted a romantic break, with the character of this hotel thats what we got, really enjoyed it, but id say the staff made it to , give them a bonus at xmas manager, they do you proud!

Room Tip: you wont get river/castle view unless you pay..... lots, so just enjoy the views from the lovely fro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on us following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your positive comments following your stay with us. These kind comments will be shared with all of my team who will be equally as pleased.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Columba soon.
Assynt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Booked via laterooms so only paid £60 B&B however think because of this we were allocated the poorest room. On the third floor reached by a lift the room was large however this was a disadvantage when trying to watch the tiny telly from bed. The room looked onto scaffolding, and was noisy with (I think) kitchen noise. The bathroom was filthy, hair, dirt and flies in the shower, skirtings which had never been wiped and an unswept/washed floor. The shower flooded soaking the floor when used. The toilet only partially flushed and then took over 5 minutes for the cistern to fill to try again. Front of house staff were lovely, providing pillows which were missing from the room, as were the restaurant staff (the breakfast was fine, plenty of it and fast service), but the housekeeping staff need training or firing. They are clearly not doing their job.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not getting the disabled access room on the top floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review following a stay with us in September. I am very sorry that you found a fault with your bathroom, it is very concerning feedback as it is a fully refurbished bathroom, I have checked this myself today and there is no issues with blockages or cistern refills, so I can only assume it was a fault at the time and I apologise. I do hope that you brought this to our attention during your stay, as I know my team would of done their utmost to reallocate you if they could or try and fixed the issue. Nevertheless, I am sorry if we allowed our usual high standards to falter in any way, there can be no excuses for poor cleanliness and this will be shared with my housekeeper so that necessary changes can be made.
I was pleased that the front of house and restaurant team looked after you and you enjoyed the other services we have to offer. Your kind words will be shared with the relevent teams who will be delighted.
I can assure you that the rate in no way reflects the room you are allocated, unless you have a special request or have booked an upgrade with us. Your constructive feedback will be shared with my team as with all feedback it enables us to continually improve on all of our services and products across the board.
I hope that you will return to us as I know we can be remembered for the right reasons. Best regards, General Manager.
Pinner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Spent 3 nights in this hotel and used it as a base to travel around Inverness and the local area. We did not have a car which was good there was no parking at the hotel but a car park about 200 yards down the road. The staff were very friendly and helpful. After we had checked in and gone to our room, which had a lovely view of the castle and river, we didn't have a kettle and also we had trouble accessing the wi fi. On our way out to dinner we told the receptionist that we didn't have a kettle and were having trouble with the wi fi. Kettle was soon sorted but wi fi remained a problem. Very nice hotel and a good location. Rooms are tidy, clean and warm.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review on our Hotel. It is a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you. Your kind words will be shared with the team and I know they will be equally pleased that their hard work is recognised. I was sorry that we missed the kettle not being in your room on arrival but glad the team quickly rectified it. I will check on the WIFI service with our provider to ensure that we are running at full speed, thank you for bringin this to my attention. Thank you for the valuable feedback and I do hope we have the pleasure of seeing you back with us again soon.
Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great location right beside the River Ness. But a bit lacking in character inside. Rooms were average, clean and comfortable without being anything special. Same with the breakfast which was 'competent' without being especially good. Really difficult to know what to say about this hotel, you feel it should be a bit special, but it isn't. I'd stay there again, but only if I couldn't get somewhere else, and there are far better hotels around Inverness for less money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
OHIML, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on us. I was pleased that you found the rooms clean and comfortable and our location was good. I was sorry to read your found us lacking in character and average and will take on board your comments to help us continually improve on our services and products. I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the Columba soon.

Been to Columba Hotel? Share your experiences!