“Decor needs updated but really is a hidden gem for lovely food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Georges bar and restaurant

Georges bar and restaurant
Queensgate, Inverness, Scotland
Improve this listing
Ranked #116 of 181 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Aviemore
“Decor needs updated but really is a hidden gem for lovely food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I have been regularly coming here for the lunchtime special during my weekly shopping trip since the days of it being Lanna Thai. Food was wonderful then but it did unfortunately go through a period with a new chef where the food became disappointing and I did stop using it for a while.

I'm glad to say that I came back as the new owner - George - has brought in a new chef (and also cooks himself) and restored the menu to its former glory. Being vegetarian I find George's to be a great lunch option as I have a large choice on the set menu rather than the normal one or possibly two vegetarian options that appear - and when I use a place a lot I like to be able to vary what I'm eating.

When I visited yesterday there was a lovely waitress who was pretty and sweet and in a traditional outfit which added to the atmosphere. On previous visits when George has been waiting tables he has been very polite too.

My only complaints are that the décor is dated (it harks back to the days on Lanna Thai) but they do seem to slowly be making changes to this as and when they have the funds to and it is generally very clean.

As in a previous comment the toilets can be a bit off putting but they have recently re tilled the cubicles (though the floor tiles still remind me of a highschool!) which has smartened them up some and they have always been clean when I have visited.

It would also be nice to have the lighting and heating on as soon as they are open as lunch times tend to be quiet and I have often been the first customer in and arrived to a dark restaurant which seems closed. Having all the facilities on does eat in to costs a little but it would make it seem more welcoming to potential customers.

It did go through a period of poor food and confused service but George seems to have now sorted his staffing, menu and found his stride so if you can look past the décor (mainly the toilets really but as I say they are making improvements slowly and it is clean which is the main thing), or feel you can give it a second chance if like me you were put off for a while you will be treated to some wonderful food and service, and with every 2nd restaurant in Inverness being an Indian it is a welcome change!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

UK
“Great food, just don't use the 'facilities'”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We have been going to this restaurant for years. it used to be called Lanna Thai, but it changed hands and is now called George's. The food has always been excellent and the lunchtime menu is great. We usually have a starter, main course and a diet coke. £19.90 in total.

I am wheat and dairy free, so love the extensive menu that I can choose from. Always fresh and tasty. Portion size is perfect. The waiter can't do enough to help. He's very polite. No complaints about speed of service. But it's not always busy when we go in at lunch time. It's been a while since we visited at night, and not since it last changed management.

However I have no idea when the toilets last saw a loo brush! Or had the loo seat tightened. (It sits at a jaunty angle!)

If you can last a visit by staying seated at your table it's definitely worth a visit.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Being a south Indian myself, I was very impressed by the south Indian menu. I had masala Dosa which reminded me of Kerala, Kerala parathas and beef fry which was gorgeous and some innovative Haggis samosas. Beautiful!!!!. Would recommend and visit again.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Lovely food but very cold restaurant overall very good though

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Don't bother, unless you have all night.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

The service here is polite, but possibly the slowest in the UK. The place was almost empty when we were there but it still took an hour for the starters to arrive, and then another 30 mins for the mains. We ran out of time for dessert! The food was edible but nothing special - certainly not worth the wait. The prices would be okay if the service and food was better, but as it is, then not very good value. The only upside was a very attractive waitress - even my wife commented how pretty she was (of course, I pretended I hadn't noticed!)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere