“Great value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here twice, on the way to and from a cottage in the very North of Scotland. We liked the hotel a lot. We were with friends, and they had booked the dearer bigger room on the top floor of the hotel, which was absolutely gorgeous, with huge windows looking out across the houses to the sea, and mountains, and the light on these was mesmeric. I wish I had had more time to paint the scene. Our room was on the first floor, and was also very nice. It had 2 large windows, with double aspect, and was roomy and very comfortable. We almost missed breakfast, the bed was so cosy. We all loved the breakfast, and despite planning the fresh fruit and yoghurt, ended up plumping for the full Scottish. It was delicious, and we went for a walk round the nearby woods, to see the "Clootie Well" (atmospheric!) to work it off, so did not feel so guilty. I didn't expect to get a breakfast cooked to order, as most hotels now have a hot buffet, and if you are late down, it can be sparse, but this was great.
We only paid £75 a night, and the other couple paid £85. This included breakfast too. I don't think you could get anywhere cheaper, even the travel lodges are dearer.
We didn't have dinner, as we wanted to go and see the islands in the river in Inverness, so we had a meal in the town, which was nice too, but cannot remember the name of the restaurant. It was on the riverside, opposite the very modern looking theatre.
On the way back, we had a different room, which was nice, and exceptionally clean, like the first one, but not as big. It overlooked the trees at the back of the hotel, and didn't have a comfy sofa like the first one did. We still had a great night's sleep though, and pigged out again on the breakfast. Well, it was the last day of our holidays! I also appreciated that the staff remembered us, and greeted us like friends, asking about our cottage, which was nice, because the hotel was completely full both times we stayed.
I have recommended this hotel to lots of friends. I don't suppose we will travel as far north again, unless by plane, but if we do, we will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We had rooms 10 and 20 on the way down, and Rooms 1 and 20 on the way back. We talked to another gr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I travelled here from Belgium on business, (so easy now from Schipol), and was really happy with this hotel. I stay in many places round Europe, and this is a very good establishment. My room was ideal, so clean and with plenty of room for working. I had a fantastic home-cooked meal on the first evening, which was far better than the lunch meeting I attended the next day in a much more expensive restaurant. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the owners go out of their way to make guests feel welcome. The only slight problem was that the free wi-fi can be erratic, but this is a good excuse to go to the main bar area, as the reception there is crystal clear. I intend to take my wife here in the spring, and that shows I endorse this hotel very much!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Situated about 5 miles from the centre of Inverness, this is not a city centre hotel.
The rooms are clean but a bit on the small side.
Staff were very friendly and the food is also good.
Had dinner in the restaurant and it was reasonably priced and was very tasty.
Breakfast was a bit slow but when it arrived it was again of good quality.
If your looking for 5* luxury, you will not get it here. However, if your looking for a cheap basic room then go for it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My parents and I stayed here for one night as I was running the marathon early the next day.

Overall, the staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms (18 and 19) were extremely clean and look a lot better than the pictures on here. Sounds travels quite loudly however.

Most disappointing was the fact that on two separate occasions (a phone call and when we checked in) I was told that breakfast was going to be started earlier at 7am rather than 8am as so many of the guests were running the marathon and would have to leave by 7.30. However, when we went down in the morning we were told that breakfast would not start until 8am; this was extremely frustrating and unhelpful. Perhaps it was down to a lack of communication or simply laziness?

Overall, if you have 1-2 nights in Inverness and have a car, this place is fine for a place to lay your head and enjoy some kitsch 80s decor! However, they could use a sign at the end of the road to direct you better.

Room Tip: 18 and 19 were on the top floor and absolutely fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Beerwah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Might be all right for the locals, but when you book online use Google maps [ I failed to follow my own advise on this one] its 5 miles from Inverness in a new housing area [ circa 1980] about as Scotish as an Australian Hotel/ Motel. Rooms Ok clean & central heating worked, breakfast was
reasonably good but dinner was of a poor quality, all in all at 75 pounds it was very expensive for what you got, so if you are a tourist look else where.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for a great stay. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Also went above and beyond and managed to get some gluten free bread and lactose milk for my friend. Which made breakfast even more enyoyable for her. The hotel was basic but had everything we needed. Rooms were clean and we didn't need anything else. Will certainley reccommend it to friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is called a hotel but that is pushing it a bit. Really, it is a pub doing b and b. Parking and location are fine and staff are quite helpful. My bed was not good but I was tired, breakfast was ok. What annoyed me most was after paying my account on arrival, I was charged more on leaving the next morning and was told that the charges were not undated online!! I paid just not to upset myself around Inverness and move on. Would I stay there again? Not if possible.

Room Tip: check room first
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Smithton Hotel? Share your experiences!