“Didn't live up to hype” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dayton, Ohio
“Didn't live up to hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Was there mid afternoon but they were still using the lunch menu. I had read many good things about it and was wanting to try some Scottish beef. I asked if I could order a steak from the dinner menu and they said yes. I ordered a ribeye medium rare, and even talked with the waitress to make sure we were on the same page as to how my steak would be done. I got the steak, but it was a medium well - no pink left whatsoever., Also it was a bit chewy and quite thin--thinner than any ribeye I've ever seen. Was very disappointing as it wasn't done at all as I ordered it. I didn't send it back or complain, though, as I had made a special request and thought maybe the lunch chef wasn't used to the dinner menu, i.e., steaks. Dinner also came with potatoes, onion rings and mushrooms, all of which were very good. Had a nice Merlot with dinner, too. Waitress was quite nice as well. I guess I would have expected them to tell me the ribeye was quite thin and might not be a good steak to enjoy medium rare. Would give them another try if I ever make it up that way again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Inverness, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

After reading the reviews on this site we were looking forward to our meal. Unfortunately it was a let down.
The restaurant is quite small and we were seated in the middle of the room so there was a lack of privacy. There were also children running around without the staff taking action which wasn't great.
The starters were ok so we hoped for better from the main courses.
We ordered steaks medium done but they were both underdone. Mine slightly but my wifes more so - there was even blood visible on the plate. The waitress was good and asked if she wanted the steak done again but my wife had lost her appetite by this point.
Maybe we were unlucky with our service but we won't be going back.

Visited March 2012
“Tasty steak, fantastic haggis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We tried to visit on a Sunday night having been attracted by the lovely aromas wafting onto the main road. At just after 9pm they were closing but we were sufficiently enticed to book for a couple of days later. We were not disappointed. The steak was excellent, cooked to perfection and full of flavour. The warm service and romantic ambience lived up to the standard of the food. Don't miss it if you are in Inverness.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A happy accident”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Fell into here when at inverness for the weekend, very impressed , not much to look at wee bit cafe-ish but some nice bottled beer, friendly staff some very nice steaks and a very good price at just over the ton for 2 courses for 4 and a bottle of wine

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
stornoway
“great steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

such a popular place we tried to get in in december but fully booked so eventually got in february - lovely little place and the smell outside brilliant - starters were great as were the steaks all brilliant - we both had crannachan which was average - wow somewhere with non alcoholic beer brilliant - overall experience was great - would definately return.

• Visited February 2012