BOTHY BY THE SEA OUTSIDE DINING ON SEA DECK
Front BothyBytheSea with stunning sea views.
Lounge BothyBytheSea Woodburning Stove out of view on LHS
access from garden to private beach looking over towards castle stuart scottish open
Inverness

Chris P
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Amazing wild life seen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

We had a nice time staying at the Bothy, the bed was comfortable, it had a nice two piece suite and a large TV in the living room, The highlight for us was seating out on the decking on the second day and seeing Seals swimming 20 yards away in the morning and we were amazed to see Dolphins swimming in the same place several times in the afternoon, we will be back.

5 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
4 of 5 stars Service
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Older travelers People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
6Kirk1969
Chippenham
“Wonderful secret hideaway - we didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 for a stay in July 2013

I came across this beautiful holiday hide-away while looking for somewhere for my husband and I to stay while we spent a few days touring the Highlands before enjoying the action at the Scottish Open, just along the coast at Castle Stuart. I knew we were in for a treat months before we started our journey, as my communications with the owner, Rhona, were so easy and personable, it was like meeting a long lost friend when she called by during our stay.
The bothy is situated at the point of a headland on the Moray Firth, just outside Inverness - near enough to civilisation, but far enough away for a complete switch off from the real world. It is very well kept, has everything you need and deceptively spacious, whilst feeling cosy and rustic at the same time. We breakfasted on the waters-edge terrace in temperatures in excess of 20 degrees - felt more like Greece than Scotland!
We visited Inverness, took a boat trip along the firth - seeing dolphins in the 'flesh' can have a profound effect on even the toughest of men - journeyed north on the whisky trail and explored Loch Ness and it's amazing coastline. After leisurely filled days, each evening we returned to our 'highland home', to relax in the stunning sunsets, with our dinner gently sizzling on the BBQ, all in our own time and pace.
If you enjoy peace and quiet, appreciate views and scenery to challenge any continental holiday destination and the flexibility of your own timetable, a break at the bothy is definitely for you - you may just find it as difficult to leave as we did!

5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Liked best: The uniqueness of the location and accommodation
Liked least: Having to leave!
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Akhilgupt...
“Fabulous stay at a fantastic cottage right by the sea :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 for a stay in April 2014
person found this review helpful

The bothy was an ideal base for our holiday and is set in a very picturesque location. The sea comes right up outside the deck and it is charming to sit outside the cottage and unwind in the evening watching the waves crash.

The cottage itself is very simple yet efficient and it had all the necessary things one could need for a short stay right from the amenities in the kitchen to wood and coal for heating to an engrossing Jigsaw Puzzle (which we unsuccessfully tried to complete).

I would recommend this place to everyone for its comfort, beautiful setting and a very hospitable host in Rhona.

5 of 5 stars How easy was it to book the property? 4 of 5 stars How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
HazelMcIn...
Dunfermline, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Homely wee place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Lovely wee house. Suitable for our family of two adults and a 2 1/2 year old. The single room is off the double, so really for a small family or couple. It was pretty cold when we went but the house warmed well when the wood burning stove was fired up. The views are lovely, the beds comfy and the house was nice and clean. We really enjoyed our short break here.

Traveling group: Young Children
Pamela D
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Winter Break and Hope to Return in the Summer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 for a stay in November 2013
person found this review helpful

I booked the Bothy at the last minute for the mid-term break with my 9-year old and my mum. All of us loved the location: My mum could go for a long walks; my daughter could spend hours collecting shells and stones from the beach; and I could get some peace and quiet! The views over the water are even more breathtaking than in the photos.

Everything that we needed for the long weekend was provided and the owner was available for recommendations such as taxi phone numbers. There are shops and family activities nearby in Nairn and Inverness.

The highlight was definitely the wood burner. As it was November, it was as cold as expected but there is something special about being around a fire with close family. The only thing missing was my husband but he will definitely come next time we book.

Thank you for a great break, it certainly gave us all the relaxation that we needed!

Traveling group: Young Children
VickyEass...
South Queensferry, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 for a stay in October 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 4 nights. The bothy is in a great location, it's in a nice quiet area right on the beach with a retail park just 5 minutes drive away. The views are spectacular, from the living room you look over to Fort George and Castle Stuart, and from the bedroom you can see Inverness city centre. We had everything we needed-towels, firewood etc and if we needed any help Rhona was only a text message away! Felt like we could make ourselves at home, it was a really comfortable stay. The only criticisms I have are just little things, the curtain in the living room was too small for the window so there was a big gap in the middle when closed, the bedroom smelled like deep heat throughout our whole stay and some things just felt unfinished-the bathroom floor is covered in paint as is the door and some of the curtain rails are a bit dodgy with the ends falling off, and for the price that we paid I'd expect these things to not feel so cheap. But these are more constructive criticisms that didn't really affect our stay, if these things were improved then it would upgrade it from very good to excellent. Overall, I would definitely recommend the bothy by the sea,once the fire gets going it's a lovely, cosy place to watch the sunset after a chilly day out exploring the highlands!

3 of 5 stars Value 4 of 5 stars Rooms
4 of 5 stars Location 4 of 5 stars Cleanliness
4 of 5 stars Service
Management Response
Jan 2, 2014
Thank you so much for your time posting a review. I didnt take any bookings over Christmas and new year until I had had a chance to check things out. I have a guest who has been a regular guest for a number of years and comes back 3/4 times a year... I do recall him mentioning he had hurt his back at work and had to use deep heat but I know he would not have wanted to effect anyone else. I am so sorry if this has been the case. I have checked myself and there is not a deep heat smell now but as as precaution I will replace the duvets & pillows for this years guests. I will also look at getting a bigger curtain :) I really do appreciate your feed back. My main focus is that the Bothy is a place for guests to relax and spend some time with "themselves". I am committed to doing what I can to provide a place of peace and calm. Thanks again. I am really glad you enjoyed your stay x
Kendra R
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great escape from the daily grind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 for a stay in October 2013

There were three of us that stayed in the bothy for two nights in October 2013. The location was lovely and being right on the firth was amazing! Not to mention the owner was extremely helpful with everything. Tesco is not far at all to get anything you may want for your stay and the wood burner was a major highlight for us (kept us warm and cosy and was quite charming). The price was perfect for our budget as well. We spent both nights completing a puzzle at the bothy (I can't remember the last time we had time to do such things).
Though I was happy not to have internet and spotty phone service, one of our party wasn't as keen to be without such things. And I would say, as a party of three adults, having the double bedroom lead to the single bedroom (with no door in between) was a bit awkward for changing purposes.

Overall: Great vacation spot for a couple looking to get away for a while, not as good for more than two looking looking for accommodation within Inverness (as it is a bit out of the city).

4 of 5 stars How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 3 of 5 stars Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 stars Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 stars Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 stars Bathroom cleanliness 3 of 5 stars Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 stars Service
Traveling group: Friends
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Check in
Check out
Guests
from
$212
Night
Week
Make Inquiry
this property has payment protection
Owner
Response Time: Within a few hours
Calendar Updated: 9 days ago
Peace of Mind Protection
Learn more
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Listing is Free!
Protect your privacy
Get more exposure
Set up your free listing