“A disjointed sort of place - all the bits don't fit together” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
West Kelowna, Canada
“A disjointed sort of place - all the bits don't fit together”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I came on the recommendations of other reviewers but this was a real miss. It's close to the train station and has free wifi if you ask for the password but the service team is confused at best so our experience suffered.
We stopped in one drizzly afternoon for tea and cake. The signage for cakes was on a board and the staff seemed unsure what was what. I ordered caramel tart thinking it was something in a tart shell that had a whipped topping; instead I got a shortbread square topped with caramel sauce and chocolate. It was served with a knife and fork but had to be picked up and bitten into gently as the shortbread was so hard I nearly broke the plate when I cut a piece! My husband ordered the beet root chocolate cake - it had huge grated pieces of beet in it which gave it a very unusual texture. We ordered English breakfast and Earl Grey tea - the pot of Earl Grey was English breakfast and the pot of English breakfast was lapsang soochong I think. By that point I was too tired to ask them to change it.
Not a bad place but not for folks expecting a traditional coffee spot or friendly smiley staff. The woman who seemed to be the manager was doing her best to hold the fort but her young staff just look dazed and watched the clock as if they couldn't wait to leave.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scott M, Manager at Cafe Artysans, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi, thank you for your review. First off is to say, I am sorry that you did not enjoy the experience at our Cafe. At Cafe Artysans, we pride ourselves, not only in the quality of the food, but also the quality of the service we provide our customers - many of whom have become extremely regular and we class as our friends. I will look into your comments with the front of house team in order to ensure our service is improved.

90% Recommend
“Scrumptious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

As a local I've never visited this restaurant until a day ago and I returned today as I was so impressed.

The ethos of this establishment alone just makes you want to return.

The staff were lovely given that they are all training, the decor is fabulous and the establishment including the toilet is very clean.

I have sampled the Cullen Skink and it has to be one of the best I have ever tasted. I can also highly reccomend the Venison Burger, Macaroni and black pudding salad. I am looking forward to visiting at the end of the week to sample the breakfast........

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scott M, Manager at Cafe Artysans, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Fantastic, glad you enjoyed our CAFE. Always glad to hear from locals as well as visitors to the area.
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Lovely Cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

As an American living in Inverness, I am used to larger sized portions of food, with certain "meat" quantities expected in a "dish". Realizing that it is perfectly normal here to have a sandwich with 1 slice of meat that is barely detectable by the naked eye, i give a thumbs up to this establishment.

I ordered a grilled ham and cheese "toastie" and got a delicious one, according to the standards I am used to back home. A few slices of nice quality ham and cheese melting out of the sandwich, was all that i wanted. And I recieved:-) On the side was a nice little mini-salad as well.

Pricing wasn't cheap or over the top. Just the right price. The restaurant was clean, service was ok, "according to European Standands" and the location is just off the beaten path. You won't be blown away by this place, but I am rating it according to the standards set forth among this culture. Americans would find this to be "standard or average fare.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Great wee place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stopped in here on a business trip to Inverness. Close to the railway station and recommended by a local who I was chatting with on the train to Inverness. Great ethos - a charity training local teenagers in hospitality. They do a fabulous job. Nice atmosphere. Clean cafe and spotless toilets. I had soup followed by coffee and cake. Great selection of cakes I just couldn't resist. Well done cafe artysans.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scott M, Manager at Cafe Artysans, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Glad you enjoyed our cafe. Always welcome for your next business trip.
DONCASTER
“Helpfl reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went here after reading reviews not disappointed exactly as reviews, only downside tables rather close together. We went when it was busy so it was rather tight but good food and service

• Visited February 2013