“really good jamaican food” 5 of 5 stars

Church street, Inverness, Scotland
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 195 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Jamaican
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Description: Only been open for three weeks. Excellent jamaican food. Flambe fruit cake, rum sauce and rum and raisin ice cream - pudding heaven. Starters and mains excellent too. No licence yet so bring your own.
edinburgh,scotland
“really good jamaican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

In the middle of inverness, found a real gem. A restaurant with around 40 covers and mixed reports on tripadvisor.
Very friendly welcome and good range of starters and mains on the £11.95 menu wife had pork cheek which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the prawn and curry sauce mix which must be one of the best starters I have had . An additional cost of £1.95.
For mains wife had the goat curry which has been the subject of much comment and whilst it did have a lot of fat and bone, it tasted delicious. I had the pork chop with black pudding and cabbage with a tasty sauce it was good but not as good as the starter.
2 delicious desserts to finish and really well presented together with 2 large coconut rums total cost £57 well worth the value
We were going to have coffee but the electricity went out! Nothing to do with jamaica . All of the power in the scottish highlands went out that night affecting 200, 000 homes!! Recommended

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

La Jolla, California
“A bit disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I do see a lot of good reviews for this place but for us it was rather disappointing. I had the scallops and the taste and presentation was rather amateur. My wife went for the jerk chicken and it was just unseasoned boiled chicken with sauce on top. The coconut prawns was ok but the rice was overcooked and again no seasoning. I truly hope that this low quality of food was a one time thing. It was also rather empty for saturday evening.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Do not go here!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I went to this restaurant with my fiance on a weekend to Inverness. I like planning and we were going to go somewhere else on our last day for lunch but saw this place in the passing. The night before a Sat night there were only a few tables filled and we saw it empty on the Friday so were not sure but i wish we had listened to our intuition and not gone here!
We were going to go to George's but my fiance wanted to try this place and got me excited about it too.
We went in and there was one man at a table finishing his food and no one else. The woman serving was pleasant and sat chatting with her friend. The place has no atmosphere and although brightly decorated there is no soul, it was also freezing cold.
I ordered the chicken wing starter which can slopped on a plate with no presentation, my fiance got the cocnut prawns and i wish i had got that because it looked a lot nicer. He liked it, the wings were alright but very fatty and there was spicy but no real flavour.
We both had the goat curry and as we both love goat my fiance is Congolese we were looking forward to it, the rice was rubbish and the goat not very good at all, a lot of fat and bones and it could have done with some type of bread or accompanyment.
I couldn't finish my goat and started to feel ill, i went to their bathroom and thought i was going to be sick, i felt ill for the next couple of hours not great when you ahve a 4 hour bus journey ahead to get home.
I would avoid this place like they plague! You will not have a good time

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic! Please open a shop in Edinburgh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Food was excellent! Went for the goat curry and was not disappointed! My partner went for the jerk chicken and ribs and fully enjoyed it. A lovely twist on a 'laid-back' cuisine with a focus on attention to detail evident from start to finish! The presentation reminded me of that you'd expect in a 4*+ hotel! Desserts will leave you forgetting that you're actually sampling Jamaican cuisine!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Favourite restaurant in Inverness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Recently revisited Kool Runnings on a Tuesday evening. Introducing business colleagues this time. Another resounding success. The food here is always excellent the staff friendly and welcoming. I went for the jerk chicken wings to start with, prawn curry to follow (although torn between it and the awesome goat curry) and finally couldn't resist the coconut brulee as a pudding.

Looking forward to finding a reason to head back again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere