“lovely dog friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Culcabock Road, Inverness IV2 3LP, Scotland   |
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Certificate of Excellence 2014
blairgowrie scotland
“lovely dog friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just back from our 4th short break in a year at Kingsmill. We love this hotel as does our Labrador! We always ask for the same garden room which has access to the lovely grounds which even have a dog poo bin! My husband loves the buffet breakfast (as do I) and the dinners are marvellous and varied. We have stayed here in all weathers and always feel very safe, cosy and secure. The staff are so friendly and so very smart and helpful. We would not stay anywhere else now in Inverness and would recommend it to other dog owners. Will hopefully return in October,

Room Tip: dog owners should ask for a garden room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Greek first
Thurso, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I tried to book a two night stay online in the kingsmills, close to Raigmore, for my wife to stay in while I was in hospital. On the calendar displayed on the website, there was a £69 sunday night special B&B rate available as well as the £125 saturday night, if I picked a 2 night stay it would not include the Sunday B&B offer, but a dearer price of £250. I phoned the hotel from the hospital and the person at the desk "sorted" it, £10 dearer than online, to include the Sunday B&B. I was discharged from the hospital early so instead of cancelling the night in the hotel, up to 6pm according to online, I decided to use the chance to have a relaxing night in what my wife told me was a lovely room. I informed the front desk that I would be staying the night and was told it would be an extra £10 for breakfast, I said that the"Sunday Night" offer was for up to 2 persons staying in the room. She said no, I would have to pay, as there were other people waiting at the reception and to save any hassle, she paid the extra £10, she had already paid in full on arrival.
We chose to dine in the bar for dinner, I asked when ordering if it would be ok to charge to the room, as my wife was told on arrival she could, or pay as I had the money in my hand, no problem to charge sir was the answer. We ate our food which was lovely then went out for a walk. On arrival back in our room the phone rang, it was someone saying that her hotel account had been closed and she would need to go down to pay. She went back down to reception and they knew nothing about the problem? They contacted the bar and found it was them that phoned. I think totally over the top for a £30+ bill that could easily be sorted out on check out.
I have found the Kingsmills to be one of the poorest hotels I have stayed in for customer service. Premier Inns/Express By HI are usually a last resort, I stayed in the Express by Holiday Inn while my wife underwent a hip replacement in Raigmore last year and I could not fault it, I wish I chose it this time for her to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I recently attended a wedding at Kingsmills Hotel and can say that I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and the waiting staff did an excellent job. The band "Torridon" were excellent and kept the guests on the dance floor all night. However, after the wedding service, we were vacated to the bar adjacent and were expected to stand the whole time while they set up the room ready for the wedding meal. The speeches were timed and not allowed to go over the half hour which resulted with some speeches left unsaid. While the wedding party were getting their photos taken and the staff once again sorted the dining area into the dance floor, we were once again made to stand. The dance foor was too small for dancing and as the night wore on, it began to come apart. The senior member of staff that was left in charge was not very happy when approached about one small complaint at the meal. Some of the guests ended up sitting on the floor and even that did not seem to make any impression on the staff. Standing around in excess of two hours in heels is not pleasant. No coffee served at the table after the meal, we were sent into the bar area where guests were left to stand around with cups of coffee while young children played about. Not the best venue for a wedding in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Auburn, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The Kingmills Hotel is a bit away from downtown but a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are spacious and clean, the restaurant provides a good buffet breakfast, and even when there is a wedding going on there, it is quiet. We stayed in the original part of the hotel and really liked it. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Spent the night recently in the Kingsmill hotel and could not really fault it, we stayed in the new wing in a family room. Room was perfect. Staff very friendly and food was spot on, going back in November and fair looking forward to it. Don't know if the 3 hours free wifi was for public areas only but it was not very effective in the room. Well done and keep up the good work.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Prior Lake, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed in the new building which has an undersized elevator that shuts down when more than people try to use it. The staff needs training on the fire alarm system. One of our fellow travelers bumped the fire alarm and it took the staff a very long time to shut it down so we could get power in our rooms restored. Other than that the hotel is nice and the staff friendly. Lots of golf courses in the area of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Very nice hotel, excellent room, welcoming staff, very nice public areas, free spa facilities and great breakfast.

This is a very nice hotel not far from Inverness city centre, right next to Inverness golf club.

We had a luxury family room and the room really was excellent, a very high standard indeed and I would have given the hotel 5 stars but for two minor gripes.

1. The wifi is free in the lobby but costs £9.95 for in room wi-fi (for 24hrs) - in this day and age this should be free. Come on Kingsmills...this is such as easy thing to rectify!

2. The television reception was very poor - only some ITV channels but no BBC channels and no sky sports (as promised on the channel guide). The next day we had no channels at all...to be fair we did not complain as we in the room for a very short time but the TV should still work as advertised. This was room 414.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at Kingsmills Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted that you had a great stay and enjoyed the service and quality rooms and food and beverage.

WIFI is free in the all the lounges and reception area. Bedroom wifi is available at a small cost £2.50 per hour, £4.95 for three hours or £9.95 for 24 hours. The amount of time used, ie you can log on for 10 minutes then use the other 50 minutes tomorrow, all just for a one hour ticket.

The TV reception should not be like this and I will have investigated ASAP and receify.

Kind Regards

Craig Ewan

Been to Kingsmills Hotel? Share your experiences!