“Our amazing wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Our amazing wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I'll start by saying that a lot has happened in the year since our wedding here so much so I can't believe I haven't written the review yet!! My review says October 2012 but it was February 2012. We had our whole wedding party to stay at Culloden and enjoyed two nights all together. The ceremony room was exactly as we wanted, the food was outstanding, there was perfection all round. Any little blips Stephen must've taken care of without us noticing. We look back at our photos all the time with big smiles on our faces. Our family still talks about the whole experience and how they've never been to a wedding quite like it.

Stephen, Murray and Kyle - we will be back next year with our little girl Honor and Max the dog. Big kisses to the staff at this top hotel!x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
cullodenmanager, General Manager at Culloden House, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Becky,

Thank you for your lovely review!

Luckily I didnt have to iron out any little blips as Murray is fantastic at planning, Murray, Kyle and the rest of the team do a fantastic job and it was just such an honour to ensure that your special day was perfect.

Look forward to catching up with you on your return visit.

Kindest regards,

Stephen Davies, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were supposed to be sleeping in a prestigious 4* hotel but felt we had walked into the shell of a classy establishment.
The double stairway, no elevator, was not a problem for us but would have been for anyone with mobility issues (or just a tired elderly couple). We had two rooms and both had problems with the flushing of the toilets. We did indeed, as other reviewers have mentioned, have heated towel racks but these and the entire bathroom furnishing was old and outdated. At the bottom of our 1970s (or earlier?) towel rack there were wires sticking out tied up with scotch tape. The bathtub was antique to say the least. The water ran either freezing or scorching hot. The actual rooms were nice, the mattress comfortable, the temperature good.
Our suitcases were brought up by a staff member that then served us drinks; he was not the only multi-purpose staff member so yes, we too appreciated their versatility. We asked a few questions during the course of our stay and were always helped and treated politely.
The lounge areas were two: one a bit cosier (but the actual temperature was quite low) and the other larger, grander but complete impersonal, sad and creepy at the same time and on the whole not relaxing to sit in.

Dinner at the restaurant was overpriced. Yes, the food was good. But the price was way, way WAY too high. We had:
Salmon starter, which was average;
Mushroom starter (I didn't note the name of the dishes, my apologies) which was good but also not in the "exciting" gastronomy zone;
a decent steak with a good serving of sides;
a tiny portion of lamb ribs, which were also good;
two delicious haggis "stacks", which were incredibly good (the best of the meal).
As a dessert two fellow guests asked for a bowl of Scottish strawberries. A handful of cut strawberries arrived, together with my small portion of Pavlova (which could have been better). In the end we checked the bill: my Pavlova (dessert offered in the menu) cost 9 pounds, each bowl of strawberries...10 pounds. Disgraceful.

The gardens are beautiful, the walled garden a pleasure to walk in.

On the whole a good stay but not to the standard of a 4* hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Margherita B,

I was sorry to learn of your under par experience and can only apologies if we did not live upto your expectations.

I thank you for your kind comments regarding our steam, we are lucky to have such a great long serving team and is so common in smaller country house retreats we are all "hands on" and multi skill.

I have checked the rooms that you stayed in, our maintenance manager did find your handle loose and did rectify the problem but only after your departure, I apologies for that.

Our toilets are fitter with water saving devices as part of a local authority requirement, they take 3-5 minutes to refill full following on from being used, on checking I personally did not find any fault in either room.

I am sorry you didnt enjoy your dining experience, we are firtunate to have a good kitchen team who do work hard and use the best local produce. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to Michael Simpson our Executive Chef.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of your company in the future and I would be happy to personally handle and future visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Outstanding experience in historic mansion. Staying in the same room as royalty. Outstanding restaurant. Accommodating staff. What could be better? Close to town And sightseeing attractions. Concierge services.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Andrew T,

There are too few country houses in the Highlands and it is a great experience enjoying the history and style that was so popular centuries ago.

Thank you for your kind review and hopefully we have enticed you to come stay again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Culloden House is off the charts. The Adams house is beautiful, the lawns manicured, the walled garden much more attractive then some of the more famous gardens in the UK especially because of it's serenely private nature.
The staff is excellent and take real pride in making guests feel comfortable and well looked after in this country house environment. The only one negative comment is to make sure you get a big bed as the four poster bed we slept in was attractive but too small.
The food at dinner was fabulous, smallish portions of delicious things, whereas breakfast was anything from continental to a heart stopping Scottish breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I doubt there are many more splendid views available when you first arrive and see the striped lawn with Culloden in the background, it does look spectacular and Cyril our groundsman puts a lot of effort into ensuring it looks good.

Thank you for all your comments, I agree that some beds should be bigger and will pass your comments onto the owners.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night here, just to say that we had stayed one night in a castle. This hotel is very beautiful, the grounds are immaculate and the flower garden is calming after a long day. The staff were all courteous and helpful. This is a beautiful and relaxing place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Cindy L,

Thank you for your lovely review, and I am pleased you managed to relax and enjoy all that the house had to offer, rooms such as our Adam's Lounge and Library Bar are fantastci for lounging in and enjoying some afternoon tea or reading a book.

Hope to welcome you back.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I will never forget our stay at Culloden House Hotel and cannot wait to return. From the moment you drive up the courtyard to the rear of the House to park you know you are in for a treat. We were met at the door by two lovely members of staff who straight away helped us with our bags. We were then shown to our room which was up four flights of stairs but well worth it. We had a four poster bed on the top floor which was so lovely. The bed was extremely comfortable. The first evening we went for a drink downstairs, I have never seen so many bottles of different whiskies. A member of staff kindly explained a few to me to enable me to make my choice. I have to agree with other reviewers that the best thing about this hotel though is the staff. They are incredible and so friendly, nothing is too much trouble and they certainly aim to please. On our second and last night we had a meal in the dining room. Unfortunately I am a very fussy eater and did not really fancy anything from the menu. This was no problem to them and they were able to suggest something to me that worked. The meal was perfect but please leave room for a dessert, they are amazing. The breakfasts are again outstanding. I am just so sorry we only spent two nights here - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that we delivered a memorable experience!

Thank you for your kind comments and hopefully we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This has so far been one of the highlights of our trip. An historic homestead located near the battlefield visitor centre. Set amongst magnificent garden and lawns. The dinner was superb. The staff were first class and a place I would return to anytime it was offered. The rooms were very spacious and I would highly recommend the experience .

Room Tip: Have learnt to pay a little extra for superior double.