“A mixture of good and bad” 3 of 5 stars

Mercure Inverness Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Street, Inverness IV1 1QY, Scotland   |
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A mixture of good and bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had a room facing the street, unfortunately this meant that we were kept awake by music and drunks until the early hours on all three nights of our stay. I would not have wanted to go outside the hotel on my own at night because of the drunks, including the ones lying comatose in the road. I know this is not the hotel's fault but it hardly gives a good impression.
The lift was quick but rather difficult to use unless you were a bit nippy, those of us with a walking stick had to ask someone else to hold the door open to prevent being knocked over.
The room was a decent size but the bathroom was tiny. There was not even a place to put your toothbrush. The sink was a sloping design and the only flat surface was the top of the lavatory cistern - which is where the tooth glasses has been put. Yeuch!
There was very little storage - certainly not enough for two people for three nights. owever the room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.
The service in the restaurant was excellent and we had a very good meal there on the Friday night. This was our first encounter with Lyndsay who seemed to be serving us for most of the weekend with friendly efficiency. She is a credit to the establishment.
The breakfast was a very good buffet with staff happy to fetch non-standard items. Unfortunately on Sunday the time for finishing was changed to 10am instead of 11am. This was only communicated via the TV which most of our group did not look at. There should have been a notice on reception and the restaurant the day before as well.
Service in the bar for food and snacks was quick and friendly.
Check out was quite slow as the person attending to me broke off three times to answer the phone, I find this particularly rude especially as he did not excuse himself but merely stopped in mid sentence to pick up the call.

Overall, this hotel could be excellent, and most of the points I have made could be improved by better staff training, but not by the woman duty manager who treats guests very abruptly.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river not the street, the music from neighbouring pubs carries on until 1.00am...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we appreciate your constructive feedback and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
I am sorry that you were not informed of the change in breakfast time during your stay, our televisions are programmed to show any message even when switched off but I am sorry if you did not see this message.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
Kilmarnock, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Mercure.

The Hotel was the Ramada last time we stayed here. Since changing to the Mercure, the Hotel has been refurbished. We liked it before, but it's even better now! The décor is clean and tidy and the staff, essential for any good hotel, is great.

We had a room at the front of the hotel, and although it was fairly noisy until early morning, it wasn't that much of a problem. If you want less noise, book a room at the River Ness side of the hotel.

I used the pool and leisure facilities during the stay, and it was great. Just have your breakfast anyway Carol, I can wait for my towel lol! Kidding!! The pool, Jacuzzi (bubbly bath) and steam room are excellent - especially the steam room!

The staff, Kamil, Lyndsey, Connor, Carol and Carlos, to name a few, are top notch, always helpful and smiling. The breakfast, always a highlight for us, was of course also excellent. Didn't expect anything else!

Thoroughly enjoyed the stay, again. Inverness is a nice place, well worth a visit. When you go, stay at the Mercure - you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to share this with other travellers.
I am glad that you noticed the changes we have been making, we have a lengthy programme of work planned so hopefully you will return and enjoy your stay even more!
I appreciate you mentioning some of our team by name, I will share your review with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Elk Grove, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed on the river side of the hotel. View was pretty. Room was very clean and bed was comfortable. Plenty of space. Very friendly and helpful at check-in and out. Good breakfast selection and delicious.
Ideal spot for a nice long run along the river. Staff provided me with good directions.
Parking lot was small but had no trouble getting a spot.
Had a lot of trouble trying to find a self serve laundromat during our 3 weeks in Scotland. Staff directed us to one across the bridge, one block away. Very convenient. Who would have thought it would be so difficult? Thank goodness for Inverness.
Was initially concern about noise. We could hear a neighbor each time he "tinkled" in the toilet. Did not hear him during the night, so no problem. Slept well.

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, we appreciate all feedback and use this as we try to continually improve our service.
I am glad that we were able to help with directions to the nearby laundry.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Scotland.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The room was nice and with fairly modern restrooms nd door. The view of the river was beautiful but can get a little noisy with the windows open with the bars across the river. We went to Hootananny's right outside the hotel to hear a great Scottish group North Sea Gas. Great pub with Scottish downstairs and rock n roll upstairs. Thank you to the delightful young man with the green hair at the grocery store for the suggestion to my husband. That was the highlight of our stay. We only had one night here and you really more time to explore. If your room faces the street be prepared for a very noisy night. I think the bars stay open til 5 am!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found time to explore some of the local bars. Our pubs are mainly open till 1am but a few of them have 3am licences. We have recently fitted all our town side rooms with new windows and acoustic vents to try and reduce any disturbance from our city centre location.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Really central hotel, right in the middle of the shopping district on one side, and on the other, the river. Great views from our room over the river, and lovely to walk there in the evening, and over the little foot bridge.
We had a dip in the pool and relaxed in the Jacuzzi in the leisure centre. The sauna was working too, but not the steam room.
Breakfast was a buffet with plenty of choice and all fresh and tasty.
We were well looked after by all the staff and had a comfortable stay.
The hotel is a bit tired, it needs a bit updating but is perfectly adequate for a one night stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking to the time to review your stay with us, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the time to use our facilities during your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Birkirkara, Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Central location with cheap outdoor parking (£2 per night). Reception was very helpful & service was efficient.

When I go abroad, I try to spend as little time as possible in a hotel so I can explore the surrounding area, but I want the bedroom & bathroom to be clean, comfortable & a bit spacious. I was mainly disappointed with the bathroom which lacked elements from all of these features.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I appreciate your constructive feedback and will use this as we continually try to improve our service.
We do have major plans to refurbish the Hotel and have started this week by replacing the windows, our bathrooms are next on the list and we hope to have this work started by the end of this year.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Bern, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I actually "unsubscribed" emails from accorhotels and affiliates but this keeps coming back to me, and since they are eager to know what I think about our recent stay in Mercure Inverness, let me say that they should not rent out rooms, period. The room is so noisy (facing local pub), windows not double-glazed assuming the hotel does know its environment, garbage trucks early in morning plus noise from birds. We ended up not sleeping at all.

Toilet doesn't flush properly. Water is "too hot" (hotel put sticker there to warn guests !) and then its steam is so strong that the hotel further warns guests to ensure bathroom door is closed properly for showers else the steam may trigger its alarm, and jokingly, its door can't close properly. It was one night, but a night of hell. Never again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. We are currently in the process of replacing the windows on the city side of the Hotel and this will reduce the noise from our city centre location but I apologise that you were disturbed by this.
I do hope that the Maintenance issues you encountered were dealt with when you reported them during your stay, the temperature on the showers is fully adjustable in all our rooms and the warning is there to advise guests that, at its highest, the temperature can be very hot.
Fraser Peterkin

Been to Mercure Inverness Hotel? Share your experiences!