“Great location and service” 4 of 5 stars

Mercure Inverness Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Street, Inverness IV1 1QY, Scotland   |
Ranked #29 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Scotland
“Great location and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

When I have visited Inverness previously I have always stayed in B&B's, so I was looking forward to staying in the heart of the city centre in a hotel with a pool.

On arrival check in was hassle free and the receptionist friendly. When I booked I had requested a river view room if possible, however I was told there were none available. We did however get a room on the top floor.

The room was a good size with a king size bed. Our room had a balcony, however the door was locked. The bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath. There was also a retractable clothes line over the bath which I thought was handy! The room features a laptop sized safe and TV with basic channels - about 12 or so.

The only problem we had with our stay came as we were settling for the night. We realised the window wasn't closing properly. We called the front desk who sent someone up, however they were unable to fix it. We were offered a move to another room, however at that time of night we were settled and didn't want to pack up and move. We probably should have as it was a cold night (despite having the heating on all night) and a little noisy as we were street facing. The next day a handy man came by to attempt to fix again however to no joy. There were no river view rooms available for our second night so we decided it wasn't worth moving as there was still a risk of another dodgy window as we learnt the ones at the back have been replaced however the ones at the front haven't been and can be a bit temperamental. I asked for extra bedding for the second night so the temperature wasn't a problem, however the street noise was quite bad (Saturday night revellers worse than Friday night ones!) which led to a broken sleep.

The window issue is our only complaint however as all the staff we encountered were excellent and friendly, it's just a shame the windows aren't up to scratch. I spoke to another couple who were front facing and they had the same issues as us with a wonky window, however like us they didn't let it ruin their stay.

The pool is small but a good depth and fine for swimming laps. The sauna and steam room were also good so it was a great way to relax on a bity break.

Overall we were happy with our stay because of the location and the hotel facilities. However, unless I knew I was getting a river view room I wouldn't return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a river view room for quietness and warmth!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback. I am sorry that we could not fix the issue you had with the window in your room, we are due to have the windows replaced on this side of the Hotel in the Spring of this year (subject to weather conditions).
I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay though and found time to use our leisure facilities. I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back in the future and we will make sure your room is on the river side of the Hotel.
Fraser Peterkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Greek first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed for one night. The hotel is a great location, walking distance from main sites of Inverness. Check in was efficient and reception staff very friendly. We were allowed to check in a couple hours early which was a bonus. The rooms are big compared to many city hotels. Had all the essentials in the room, and a decent nights sleep. Bed was large and comfortable. Hotel generally presented clean and tidy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Fraser Peterkin
Follow us on Twitter and/or like us on Facebook for all our latest news and offers!
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and i had a great two day visit to the hotel.
We arrived two hours early and asked if it would be possible to leave our bags until check-in time. We were greeted very warmly by a friendly, professional and helpful member of staff who advised that our room was already available! The accommodation itself was very spacious and well equipped with comfortable large king size bed and just about everything one needed to make for a comfortable couple of days. The weather was pretty rubbish so we decided to relax down in the conservatory and read, enjoying drinks occasionally from the bar. Again, very professional staff. .We were given the WiFi code and had absolutely no trouble in accessing all we needed. WiFi is available in public areas and not bedrooms which is made clear if you read the hotel information. . We also enjoyed the Leisure facilities where we found a pool, sauna and jacuzzi with free towels and lockers available. there is also a gym.

We decided not to eat in the hotel but others were eating in the Bar and the restaurant was closed. The buffet breakfasts were excellent, with a large choice of delicious hot and cold foods. VERY TASTY!.

Our visit was over the Saturday/Sunday nights and we did find that the noise from the street three floors below was quite a disturbance on the Saturday, The pub opposite is VERY popular and was very noisy with people in the street until 3am.This was in spite of the double glazed windows in our room and no fault of the hotel but next time I would request to be in a quieter location if I went at a w/end.

I couldn't help but wonder when i read an earlier review of this hotel if our attitude affects what we find. If we go in "inspecting" and looking for faults and short-comings inevitably we will find some. If we go expecting to enjoy and appreciate the surroundings i feel we are quite likely to do just that. Thanks Mercure for a great visit!!.

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your informative review after your stay with us at Mercure Inverness. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and took the time to share this with other travellers. For future reference, since your stay we have upgraded our wi-fi and it is now available, free of charge, in ALL areas of the Hotel including bedrooms.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

totaly recommend this hotel , well located for city centre , good bars right on your doorstep , rooms very clean, beds very comfortable and for the staff and being looked after you could not fault them . just wish i brought swim gear to take advantage of swimming pool in hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Mercure Inverness, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and our city centre location.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future, maybe next time you will get a chance to enjoy our leisure facilities!
Fraser Peterkin
Follow us on Twitter and/or like us on Facebook for up to the minute offers and news!
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Having lived and worked in Inverness for 5 years I am now pretty much qualified to give objective reviews of the city's hospitality offerings. I really want our city to excel, which means I am naturally very disappointed when we miss the spot. There really is no excuse for an outlet in the capital of The Highlands, a prime site for tourism, the biggest industry up here, not to do its very best to meet the expectations of an average joe such as this reviewer. You do not expect The Ritz when you go through the doors of any Mercure, but that does not mean a customer has to settle for mediocrity. When you travel long distances by road in France for example, a Mercure does what it says on the tin very well indeed. So Inverness ? I visited at lunchtime midweek in search of free wi fi and lunch with a drink. Since obtaining my new I pad I have been road-testing every possible location in Inverness. Entering the hotel feels like negotiating one of those impersonal government buildings where you are seeking to register a birth marriage or death, for example. Reception also fits this description being tucked away in a recess on the left and manned by a disinterested uniformed lady who seemed more at home on the phone or browsing the net. Not even a hint or murmur of a welcome to someone, me, who looked very businesslike with laptop case trundling behind, clearly inquisitive. Not the first time this has happened by the way. I noted the restaurant full with Rotary Club members and moved towards the bar. It did not look open, with the food holders/warmers redundant and empty and chairs stacked awkwardly in the main section. I walked out into reception. Again no recognition from anyone. Focused on giving it another try I re- entered the bar, found a pleasant bar person and asked "are you open ?" Yes was the response. Do you have wifi ? Yes, but u get better reception around the corner. My wifi did not work. The bar person went to reception to be told that it was switched off because there were conferences up stairs....whoops so no wifi for the ordinary punter then ? I was hungry but was then told that I might have to wait a bit as they were a bit busy ! Mercure I gave you loads of opportunities to serve me, but I wasted a good 20 minutes of an hour lunch break with no result whatsoever. I walked out and found a much better alternative, The Auctioneers, thankfully. Mr Mercure Manager, any comments ?

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Mercure Inverness. Firstly I would like to apologise for the issues you encountered whilst visiting our premises, this is not our usual standard and I am genuinely sorry that you left with the wrong impression of our Hotel.
We are currently installing a new wi-fi system and we have been having some connection issues while this is being installed. You should have been made aware of this when you entered the Hotel and first enquired but sadly not the case in this instance. Our Bar had just served a large conference lunch and were in the process of moving the excess furniture at that time, hence the stacks of chairs and hotplates.
I would be delighted if you would give us the opportunity to make amends for this previous visit and return to enjoy a complimentary coffee or lunch with us, our new wi-fi will be up and running on 6th February so you could also "test run" this. I do hope this will not deter you from visiting us in the future. If you do decide to visit then please ask for myself or Suzan Latto at Reception.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been staying at this particular hotel on a weekly basis for over 10 years. (formerly Ramada Jarvis). Its not a bad hotel, the rooms are pretty good. The staff are superb. However: the FOOD has suddenly gone downhill. The breakfast is excellent, plenty of choice. Its the Main courses which have suddenly dropped in standard. For instance; last night,15th jan 2013, I ordered Fish and Chips to my room. The 'few' chips were still hard inside. The 'Fish' was swimming in oil (so hot it was still bubbling). I cut into the fish and it was like slicing into a sponge....the oil oozed out! And, when I tasted it (could smell it first) it appears the hotel may have changed their supplier. The oil tasted disgusting! I scraped the batter off and the fish was grey! Needless to say, I put it outside my room. Similarly with the other main courses. Thinner smaller steaks, Dry pie(no gravy). And, like all other hotels of this ilk, you pay for every mortal thing which is not acceptable when one is on a tied, restricted allowence.

Room Tip: Any room at the REAR of the hotel. Front rooms are on the main street which, at weekends, can be noi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
FraserPeterkin, General Manager at Mercure Inverness Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your many stays at Mercure Inverness, I am sorry that you feel our food quality has differed recently. I have shared your comments with our Head Chef but please let us know during your stay if any meal is not to our usual standard and we will of course replace this.
I appreciate your constructive feedback and hope that you will not encounter any issues on your future stays.
Petersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in January in a twin room.

On the plus side the hotel is superbly located on the river Ness - right in the centre of Inverness - great for easy access to shops and restaurants. Parking is also free which is rare for Accor - they usually charge ridiculously high rates for parking. Evening food is very good - much better than I expected - although slightly over priced. Double rooms are very nice. The gym isn't bad either - small pool and a hot tub and sauna too.

On the negative side, the hotel is rather run down and tatty in places - worn carpets, worn sofas in reception etc. The double rooms have been modernised and are very nice but the twin rooms are much older and a bit run down. The parking is impossible to find thanks to the one way system - you need to get on the waterfront to find the parking but your satnav will take you to the back entrance on the one way system!

Room Tip: Opt for a double not a twin
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Mercure Inverness and I appreciate your constructive feedback. We do have a planned programme to upgrade the Hotel and are continually working on this to improve our facilities.
I am glad you took the time to enjoy our leisure facilities while staying with us and also point out our central location, the city really is on our doorstep here!
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel and you will see the improvments we are making.
Fraser Peterkin

Been to Mercure Inverness Hotel? Share your experiences!