“You could find better” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Glasgow
“You could find better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I stayed here for one night on business as my usual hotel was fully booked.

The first room I was allocated smelled of smoke and I couldnt understand why until I spotted staff member having a cigarette break right under my window!

Moved to another room which was right opposite the kitchen so I had the noise of people coming and going all night and a buzzer going off at regular intervals.

Rooms are pretty well decorated and clean. Hotel in excellent location
Food was good but £5 tray charge for room service to deliver my meal about 20 yards from the kitchen was rather excessive. Would only stay here again if nothing else was available

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smoky and noisy rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
The Hague
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

Now the Waterside could be one of the greatest hotels in Inverness within its class. It has a lot to say for it: we stayed two nights in a very comfortable and tastefully decorated room, it's location is very convenient yet still within a quiet and beautiful area of Inverness and the restaurant is also very nice indeed.

What spoils this idyllic picture is the general attitude and sometimes downright incompetence of the hotel and restaurant staff. Undoutbtedly being understaffed has something to do with this, but this does not excuse everything.

A receptionist not being able to tell us anything about events going on in the city, long waiting times at breakfast without the one waitress anywhere in sight and not to mention the way an occurring problem with our laundry was handled, or rather not.

A word of caution here: don't trust the hotel staff with your clothes to be washed, because, as the receptionist at that time was quick to point out, if half of it is not returned it is not their fault. Moreover, she was less than helpful to sort things out with the laundry company and really tried to make that our job.

In the end we got our stuff back but not thanks to this particular staff member who felt very sorry for us but was not able or willing to do anything about it and made us wait till five minutes before our departure time to finally produce the missing items which were sent to the hotel next door.

In spite of this, our experience was actually not all that bad, but employing a staff that is competent and actually shows some care for their clients would greatly benefit this potentially very pleasant hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff incompetence
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

We booked this hotel for a one night stay after checking out their website which presented it as newly refurbished in a contemporary style. Alarm bells began to ring when we found the untidy carpark and continued to ring when we waited 5 minutes at the reception desk, which was cluttered and untidy. I eventually searched out someone who also seemed to be serving dinner. The room we received was tiny, painted (ceilings, walls and furniture) in a drab pink colour. The furninshings were cheap and shoddy and there was a distinct damp odour. The nylon curtains and grubby carpet did nothing to improve the atmosphere. The bathroom was basic but acceptable if they had bothered to clean the balck mould out of the corners of the shower. There was an 'excuse for a dressing table' but no mirror (except for one inside the wardrobe which I couldn't reach while trying to dry my hair). The kettle in the room was covered with black fingerprints and there was only one portion of milk. The bed was clean and comfortable, sadly this is about the only positive comment I can make. We came down for breakfast at 9.30 and were dished up the breakfast which looked as if it had been cooked at 7 pm. My husband was poured a cup of luke warm coffee. We asked for a hot cup of coffee and reminded the waitress that he had asked for decafinated. She fetched a pot of hot water and a sachet of nescafe - but no cup.

This hotel has been refurbished on a shoe string, is managed very badly and appears to be understaffed. It does not deserve its 3 star rating. For £105 per night I don't expect a luxury stay, but I do expect clean, and fresh with an edible breakfast.

This was not our first choice of hotel but we had found that most hotels seemed to be fully booked. I wish I had checked out this review site before booking as I notice some other guests have had similar experiences. Not recommended - do not be seduced by their website!

Stayed April 2008
Thurso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

My husband, mother-in-law and myself had an overnight stay in the Waterside and it was great. The rooms were spotlessly clean, comfortable bed and lovely bedlinen. Slightly antiquated headboard and furniture, but all matched and again was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was modern, spotless and the shower excellent. Complimentary toiletries were of good quality. Squeaky floorboards could do with a nail or two!
All staff were cheery and friendly with a very relaxed atmosphere. We would highly recommend the high tea, £9.45 for a good sized main course (great selection) and a cake stand of cakes (very olde worlde!) to finish washed down with tea or coffee.
The breakfast again was of very high quality, cold buffet along with a selection of highland grill, kippers, porrage, etc. There was not a drop of grease on the plates of the highland grill. I almost didn't feel guilty about spoiling my diet!!!!!
Very handy for shopping or Eden Court, both only 5 minutes walk away. We will definately return......

• Liked — Freindly relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — Squeaky floorboards!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

Good hotel - easy to find online and book, comfortable room, no major problems in parking. £70 per night which seemed expensive but not out of the ordinary for northern scotland. Good bar with decent whisky selection.

Stayed September 2006
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2007

Had double room en suite for 1 night booked for me via laterooms.com @ £50 B&B. Value OK at this price.

Location good only 5-10 minutes walk along the river to Inverness shopping centre.

Room OK except for loose towel rail which I reported on departure. Also there was no heating on in the room when I arrived at about 5.00pm so the room was freezing cold.

Breakfast OK. Staff polite & efficient.

• Disliked — Heating not on on arrival
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

I stayed at the Waterside for one night, at short-notice, in September. The room was clean and the bed comfy - but the walls were astonishingly thin (do NOT stay here on honeymoon). The service in the restaurant was jaw-droppingly poor. The table next to us, having waited for their bill for over half an hour, approached our waiter who told them (rather aggressively) that it wasn't his problem. They left without paying (it wasn't their problem, either, mate). The next morning, it seemed that the most effective way to order a hot breakfast was to rugby-tackle a waitress. On checking out, they had failed to add the evening meal to my room bill. (I pointed this out - wasn't that nice?) I stayed at the Thistle the next night - better food, better service, if not such a convenient location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!