“hooht the night away” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
tain highland
“hooht the night away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Good place for a night out,great place for live music,only setback being there are not many seats, and it can be quite a squeeze when it is busy.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Simple and Tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Ate one night in here. Staff all very friendly, helpful and efficient. Had a simple but very nice haddock and chips that were great. Also had a lovely haggis starter. Prices are OK, although Inverness generally seems to think it should deserve high end prices in eating places. Been a wee cabal of pricing if you ask me. It did get busy for the music at 9.30 pm and is obviously a bit of an institution.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, United Kingdom
“Best meal & night out in ages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'd booked a night in Inverness for my husband's 30th birthday and one of his favourite bands were playing that night upstairs at Hootananny's sofa bar, Mad Hatters. The place was busy by the time we got there (just after 7pm on a Saturday), but they were able to give us a table for 9 folk and the food (Scottish menu, not huge choice - especially for any vegetarian but all of the food was very good and the waiter was really friendly and helpful. After we'd eaten the ceilidh started downstairs and it was brilliant, some of the best traditional scottish music I'd heard in a long time. The whole place was totally packed out (not for those that like a good bit of personal space) but the crowd were polite and everyone was having a good time. Drinks were very reasonable and bar staff were also friendly.

We went upstairs just after 10pm and found the sofa bar only had a couple of sofas out, but the reason became clear as soon as the music started - it must have been cleared to make space for the crowd. The two bands booked were both great and the majority of the crowd were fine, the bouncers seemed to deal fairly with the bit of trouble that did start (which you'd get anywhere these days!). Overall it was a great night and I'd definitely recommend Hootanannys and will be going back for food and the music next time we're up North!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wick, United Kingdom
“Ill treatment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

On 4/10 I was in Inverness on the 1st night of a weeks hols, my neice and I met there staying in Weatherspoons for one night, as we were attending a gig in the Ironworks (livewire acdc) after gig we had one drink in the Room ! Just across from Hootanannys, we didn't actually drink it as 2 guys started to chat us up so we decided to leave and go to Hootannanys(I regularly go there when in Inverness) as we left the room I grabbed my Neices arm and we were laughing about these guys in the room etc as we approached the door this extremely rude bouncer stepped in front of us shaking his head saying we couldn't get in, when I asked why he indicated that we were too drunk, I am a 55 yr old woman, my neice is late 30s we both had a drink but were far far from drunk, we were so humiliated we decided to call it a night, I have to say I am bitterly disappointed with this treatment, he was rude and very arrogant and wasent prepared to budge. I personally will never go back there again, having regularly visited this place for over 30 years when visiting Inverness, if this is how they treat visitors

Visited October 2013
Duesseldorf
“Great night out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were here in October. I was a bit afraid that it would be one of these tourist places were they play "traditional" music und serve "local" microwaved dishes. But fortunately I was proved wrong! The service was excellent, the food (we had salmon) delicious und the music very good. Yes, the pub was crowded (by tourist AND locals), but that's good, isn't it?! We enjoyed our stay!

• Visited October 2013