“very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Riverside Restaurant

The Riverside Restaurant
10 Bank Street, Inverness IV1 1QY, Scotland (Formerly River Cafe & Restaurant)
+44 1463 714884
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 195 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: We are a small family run restaurant along the River Ness. We are a family team with over 12 years experience in the hospitality trade. Our restaurant reflects our passion for excellent Scottish fayre. We offer lunches, high teas, early evening and a la carte meals with a selection to suit all tastes.
inverness
“very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

went for lunch on easter sunday,looking forward to a lovely meal after reading all the reviews first of all the service was very slow, the pate starter wasnt very nice and main course very small not much lamb or veg large yorkshire pud but hard and dry sticky toffee pud very nice but would have liked the offer of cream or ice cream with it , dont think we will be going back maybe we went on the wrong day

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Inverness, United Kingdom
“Sadly did not live up to other reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

I visited with my family on easter sunday, we haen't been since the restaurant changed hands, but had read several good reviews on here and another in the local ica magazine so thought we'd give it a try.
I was firstly a little disappointed with the choices on the menu, only 4 starters and 4 mains to choose from,i was hoping there would be a steak available but sadly not.
I had the pate which was very bland and had an almost watery consistency, far too sloppy for my tastes and others at the table agreed. For the main we all chose the lamb and yorkshire pudding, to say the portion was small would be an understatement. I received 3 tiny slices of lamb, 1 half of a roast potato cut into 2 pieces, 3 small chunks of carrot and 2 of parsnip and 1 cauliflower floret with a little cheese sauce on top. The yorkshire pudding was huge but sadly a bit burnt.Some of my lamb was a bit grizzly so not great.
The desserts were ok, the sticky toffee pudding was really good but the bread and butter pudding was very heavy and stodgy.
Another small negative is the size of the restaurant, the tables are so close together we very aware of disturbing other diners with our conversation and judging by how quiet other tables were i don't think we were the only ones to feel that way.
In short very disappointed as after reading all the reviews i was expecting better, none of us will be in a rush to return.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Wow - Amazing Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Heard that this café restaurant had been taken over so thought I would check it out. Wow! So good!

A friendly welcome was waiting for me from the manageress and the waitress. I was shown to my table, a lovely 2 seater by the window with a gorgeous river view.

An extensive menu was available with everything from sandwiches to al a carte meals. I chose the steak followed by sticky toffee pudding, which both were delicious!! The steak was cooked to perfection, exactly as I asked for it which doesn't happen often in a lot of the other city centre restaurants I've been to. The sticky toffee pudding was melt in the mouth delicious!

Along with a medium glass of fresh and crisp rosé wine (recommended by the knowledgeable manageress) and a soft drink, my bill came to £30.20 which I think was very reasonable for a city centre place.

I'll definitely be returning in the near future to try their High Tea, which I believe was only £10 per person. The meringues, scones and shortbread I saw coming out on plates looked so yummy!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeenshire
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Went to this wee gem for lunch on a friday afternoon was a nice relaxing place overlooking the river, service was great but don't be in a hurry just sit and enjoy the view while the waitress runs around on her own but the wait is worth it! The home made Chicken Liver Pate was to die for and so was the fresh crisp salad on the side. Would definately recccomend this place to eat.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Not as great as let on...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

After hearing that the River Cafe was a nice place to eat we thought we'd give it ago. The place is very small and you feel like you have to whisper when speaking to someone on your table as you are so close to the people on the table beside you. Staff were friendly and attentive. The food was alright. My pate was delicious for starters, but we both had venison for main meal and unfortunately was really disappointed as it was quite tough. You have a lovely view out to the river which is pleasant. Overall it was fine. It's slightly pricey for what you actually get. But we may have just come on a bad day.

• Visited December 2011