“My first stay in Inverness” 5 of 5 stars

You added Highlander Hostel to your Saves list
Highlander Hostel
23A High Street, Inverness IV1 1HY, Scotland   |
Edinburgh
“My first stay in Inverness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

This hostel has recently been decorated and looks very modern and clean cut. The location is right opposite the town house in the middle of city, which meant we were one minute walk away from both the bus and train stations which meant trips to loch ness and further a field was very easy. The staff were friendly nice and helped us plan our trip to loch ness and Fort William. I would recommend this hostel to others its modern, 2 pool tables, computers. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and surprisingly big for a hostel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Augsburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

My 4 friends and I came to the hostel on the 3rd of March, expecting the worst hostel. Walk in and go upstairs and nice man greets us. We ask to see the hostel first of course, so we get a tour of the hostel. SPOTLESS bathrooms, SPOTLESS rooms, and generally a nice smell. Had late nights out and about, came home at 4 in the morning and receptionist was awake and showed us safely to the room. Decent beds (not the best) but nothing to complain about Great Stay! surprised looking at previous reviews! Location BRILLIANT! best nightclub 2 min walk, McD's 30 second walk, and poundland!!! 15 second walk!

Room Tip: Choose room 3,4,5 or 7,8,9,10
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Best, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

It was the most dirty hostel we ever stayed in. Never again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed at this hostel on the night of Wednesday 19th October 2011. Awoken in the middle of the night by some druggie who had wandered in of the street and was going through my rucksack.
Apparently this happens often (according to the staff), druggies/neds/chavs/bogans will get hold of the door codes and just wander in and help themselves to your stuff.
Staff were not helpful, received no refund or apology, there are no staff on duty at night, had to remove the druggie ourselves.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Up Top
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

A large group of us headed for a weekend in Inverness last month so we all agreed to stay in this dive for two nights. We'd booked X 2 large dorms, neither of which had been cleaned before our arrival. We'd not long been in our rooms when the ignorant knuckle-head who checked us in, let himself into our room without even knocking (when challenged, he told us that he didn't have to knock).

The next morning I hung about for 30 minutes waiting to use the bathroom only to find that the shower had no shower-head nor even the connecting hose-pipe. I made do as best I could with the water falling from the bottom of the control unit as I wasn't going to wait another 30 minutes.

The second night I stayed there, I deliberately got up early in the morning so that I could get out of there ASAP. It's only a hostel and I wasn't expecting luxury but this place is not a nice environment to be in.

This Hostel is in a prime location right in the City Centre and it seems to me that they get plenty trade so I have to assume that it makes sufficient profit that they can fix the showers, recruit decent staff and upgrade the furnishings a bit (by that I mean the beds, there's nothing else in the rooms). The place has massive potential, intead its a poor reflection on Inverness.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Le Mans, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. I would strongly recommend not to go there, I even wish Hostelworld took it off their listing.I booked a night in a 10 bed ensuite room for two people on Hostelworld, and required an early check in (10 am) since we were out of town until midnight. At 10 am, we were told that we were in room 5 (we were not given bed numbers) and that when we arrived, we should pick up clean linen from the cupboard where they are displayed, and use the codes we were given. Now, when we arrived, they were NO clean linen left for us at all, we had to pick up dirty linen from the drop off area. Secondly, when we went into the room, there was only ONE bed which didn’t already have linen on, and anyway all remaining beds had stuff all over them. We therefore had to leave the room, not taking the risk to be woken up by people whose bed had been '”stolen.”
So we went back into the common room, which had two people sleeping on the floor in the kitchen, and a couple of American guys whose bed had also been double booked.
I asked people coming up the stairs if they were in my room, but no-one was. Finally, someone told me they had free beds in their 16 bedroom room, and let us into it as we had nowhere else to go, and no money to afford a hotel.
The bed was absolutely horrible, the pillow as well, and the room was very noisy since the window was open onto a street with pubs and bars, and one could hear drunkards shouting until 4 am. Closing the window was however not an option, due to the warmth and horrible smell in the room .
I was on a top bunk bed; which did not have bars on one side at all, which means someones who moves at night, could just fall off. A major health and safety issue breach here in my opinion.
In addition, the mattress was atrocious, and the pillow as well.

Furthermore, the doors do not close all the way automatically, which means that since most people didn’t take the extra care to close the door all the way, it remained ajar and therefore anyone could walk in, which happened around 3 am when two drunk youngsters walked in the room shouting, mistaking the room for theirs.
Finally, three showers and toilets (in one room) were not enough for the whole floor, and only the early birds could shower without waiting for it.

Staying at the Highlander Hostel was the worst night and the worst experience I have had so far. I am waiting for a full refund from the hostel and will not rest until I have received it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I have stayed in Highlander Hostel on 22 July. We reserved over phone 10 days before and they confirmed the booking with banc card details. The day of arrival, I checked whether all was fine, and they confirmed.

Upon arrival, suddenly they were surprised to see me. They decided to put us in the Albyn House, outside of the hostel. We accepted (what else could we do), paid, and went to see the romm. They looked nasty, but we thought, this would do for the night.

We didn't realize that the bathroom would be so rubbish and extremely dirty in the Albyn House and furthermore the beds were ... not extisting. No joke, you couldn't sleep on them, as you felt the springs poking through. The bed as such, was broke, so I ended up sleeping on the floor on my trekking mattress.

This Albyn House must be closed, and I will take necessary steps to do so. I will be preparing a complaint at the official departments so no body has to sleep there again.

Highlander Hostel management exploits tourists and we must stop this!

Room Tip: Do not stay there, avoid Albyn House in any case
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Highlander Hostel? Share your experiences!