I originally booked accommodation at Broadstone Lodge Guest House for two nights but was transferred to the Sandwood B&B because the twin room at the Broadstone Lodge was damaged beyond repair by some guests.
On arriving at the Sandwood B&B we were shown to our room. Rosie was friendly, although did seem in a bit of a rush. She did explain she was heading out to a wedding. We were grateful she did let us check into our room early.
The room itself was clean and looked modern with wooden flooring and flat screen TV. The two twin beds were comfortable. The toilet and shower room appeared to have been converted from a built in wardrobe. Very small, and if you fully close the sliding door, its impossible to open again from the inside. Also there isn't a lock. The wash basin is one of the smallest I've ever seen. Having a manual facial shave is virtually impossible using the sink. I get the impression the room isn't used often as we had to run the sink tap for a while to get clear water. On a positive note the shower appeared new and was very powerful.
The owners were out the first night and we did run into some problems. The TV didn't work, we later found out the plug was in the wardrobe.
Breakfast was possibly the worst part of staying at Sandwood. Firstly the mini boxes of cornflakes were out of date. Not a good sign. Then the fry up arrived. Horrible is the only word I can use. Second morning I stuck to Crunchy Nut cornflakes which were in date and toast.
Summary of bad points:
1) TV would not turn on. (Couldn't ask owner as they were out. Eventually found out plug was in the wardrobe.)
2) No hair dryer.
3) Very small bathroom, its the size of an interior wardrobe.
4) Wash basin so small in bathroom that it is near impossible to have a manual shave.
5) No margarine at breakfast, just butter.
6) Five choices of cereal at breakfast. Unfortunately the mini boxes of cornflakes were 3 weeks past their use by date.
7) Full English Breakfast (fry up) was just horrible.
8) When in en suite toilet there is no handle on the inside so it is important not to fully close the door.
9) No Wifi connection.
10) Bars of soap rather than liquid soap in bathroom.
11) No clock radio in room.
Summary of good points:
1) Powerful shower
2) 5 minute walk to town centre (when you.re worked out the way)
3) Beds are comfortable
4) Let us check in early
Overall this is a below average B&B, obviously run as a sideline instead of as a primary source of income. Although this place has a good location, it is seriously let down by an appalling breakfast, very small toilet/shower room and problems requesting help from the owners.
- Also Known As:
- Sandwood Bed And Breakfast Inverness, Scotland