“shabby” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #134 of 227 Inverness B&B and Inns
Thurso, United Kingdom
“shabby”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Clean beds and towels, plenty of hot water. Shabby hotel, but value for Inverness. Bathroom wasn't over clean and the ample breakfast was undercooked. Had I had more time to find an hotel a lodge would have been much better value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have been making weekly visits here since May, When I first arrived the exterior of the Hotel was awful, but tried not to let me be put off, receptionist on duty was very pleasant, room very dated.
The first few visits were great, getting to be on 1st name terms with staff, and been told they were new to the business and the hotel was been refurbished, I really started to enjoy my weekly visits.
After a few weeks, started to notice a BIG CHANGE!

There seemed to be a lot of new faces, and the staff that were left had no charisma about them.
On my 3rd morning there I noticed I had some bites, I mentioned it later to the bar man, who said he would pass it on to the receptionist, when I returned from my meeting, I spoke with her, she knew nothing about what I mentioned, but assured me it would be passed on to Management and housekeeping.
My last night I was in the same room but assured my room was deep cleaned, everything was still in the same place, the only thing that looked clean was the new bed sheets.
Having started to meet a few of the guests who had been staying up there, they all noticed the change, the menu was changed, So was the chef, the food was just horrendous, I can truly say myself and another guest sat and watched the olympics, and of the very few that had meals in the hotel, most of them were sent back.
I did not take breakfast as I left early but my pack lunch if been made, was awful 2 slices of bread, chocolate bar, ocassionally fruit was terrible, I was lucky compared to the horror stories I heard from the guests with regard to there breakfast.
I started eating out, and going back to the hotel later, I would go into the bar for a drink depending who was in the bar, nothing worse than been on your own with the bar man, who quite frankly did not want to be there, and made sure you were out for 11.
I had 2 weeks holiday, and to be truthful did not want to go back, but as it was August every where was booked, I had a double room that I had not stayed in before, looked clean, how mistaken, on 2 occassions I had to ask for clean towels, but my guests were back, yes the Bed Bugs, I told reception and the manager, they assured me it was not bed bugs, and they could not shift me, as the hotel was full, On the Thursday I had enough, cancelled business meetings, and returned home, I felt awful that night and on the friday I went to my local GP who assured me it was bed bugs, and they had got infected, I was given a course of amoxicillin.
I phoned the hotel on the Monday as I still had my account to be settled, I told the manager of the situation, she said there was no bed bugs, no compalnts with regards to the food, I honestly could not believe what I was hearing, there were numerous complaints, her attitiude was awful, I ended the call without settiling my account.
I am waiting for an Invoice to arrive, believe you me I shall not be paying this,
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE! MAYBE A REFURB OF MANAGEMENT AND STAFF, BUT UNTIL THAT HAPPENS THIS PLACE WILL NOT WORK.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
fochabers,moray
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here as couldn't get anywhere else,the room was in a terrible state,with wallpaper hanging off all over the place and mould in bathroom,on ceiling and in the shower and on shower curtain,which was like one of those shower cubicles from the 1970s. The bar and breakfast room are also in desperate need of coming in to this century,and the carpet had loads of wet patches all over. The breakfast was actually very good,full Scottish breakfast and there was a kettle in the room with tea,coffee,mik,sugar and small packets of cookies,although we didn't make any! There was also a good selection of toiletries in the bathroom. The staff were really friendly and very helpful. Speaking to other people staying at same time and their rooms sounded even worse than ours!! Its a shame really,as it's in a good position,about a 10 minute walk into town,and as I said the staff were really lovely,but because of the terrible state of the hotel,I will not be booking again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aviemore, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed last night July 27th for a wedding.The staff were so friendly polite & helpful which made the wedding evening so perfect.liz the owner is great & special mention to Kerry Geraldine & Megan oh not forgetting wee night porter.The Hotel is great for a wedding venue.Yes the above comments are saying the deco is tired & the Hotel is underway shortly for a new refurb & we will certainly be back to enjoy it.The food is of excellent high standard also. Well done

• Stayed July 2012
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

we stayed at this hotel at the weekend for my brothers stag party, all the staff were very friendly and very helpfull. The hotel has excellant facilities and was perfect for our stay. would highly recommend it for anyone stayin in inverness and will certainly be booking it again if i ever need to stay over in inverness

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night when passing through Inverness at the end of May. We were lucky to get a room having not booked anything and didn't get to Inverness until about 8.30/9pm when we started looking for accommodation.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was fine - somewhat dated, but clean and for just one night, not a problem.

Only a short (5/10min) walk into Inverness which was really handy, plus lots of of parking to the side and rear.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

As a family we have been to the Chieftain quite a few times, It's always clean, we get a very warm welcome and feel at home every time we go.

Because we live in Inverness we didnt need a room but i wouldn't hesitate to book one if i did need one.

The whole place is due to be renovated soon under the new management and I wish them all the very best for the future .

The food is great value for money and all made fresh to order none of the prepaired microwave stuff you get in some places, and you get a nice cold pint best in town.

We, tonight had the:-

soup and crusty roll £2.75
Tempura Tiger prawns with salad for £4.95
Nachos for £4.25

Ness Wok with chicken £8.50
Ness Wok with Beef £8.50
You really have to tast that sauce it's lovely!
Chicken caesar salad £7.95
Scampi £9.00

Service with a smile and good portions.

Room Tip: As i said i didn't need a room but i wouldn't hesitate to book one if i needed one.