“Homely and comfortable.” 5 of 5 stars

68, Lochalsh Rd., Inverness IV3 8HW, Scotland   |
Ranked #138 of 227 Inverness B&B and Inns
“Homely and comfortable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Had an outstanding stay at Ivanhoe Guest House. It was exceptionally clean and comfortable with the kind of little touches that make all the difference. Whilst the room was warm and well equipped the bed was cosy and large enough even for me (I'm a big man, 6'2", 300lbs!) I slept very well, unusual away from home.
No review of Ivanhoe would be complete without mentioning the breakfast which was as good a cooked breakfast as I have ever had, it could not have been better.
The hostess was lovely, she could not have done more and she was extremely generous in every respect, nothing was too much trouble.
If you're looking for a traditional, homely, well placed and comfortable guest house where the hosts take pride in the service they provide then I cannot recommend Ivanhoe too strongly.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Conveniently located though street doesnt look the best it was very quiet...Fantastic room with everything and I mean everything I could want. And SO SO SO CLEAN!!!! A very warm cosy clean comfortable bed, and i checked under the pillow cases lol. Warm welcolme. EXCELLENT BREAKFAST, STAY HERE. I'm staying in the Thistle later and I bet it wont be so good for double the cost.

Room Tip: I was in room 5
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Molokai, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I have to distinguish strongly between the facilities at Ivanhoe and the host. The host was great. Period. I have nothing but good things to say about her. She worked hard to provide extra things like chocolates in the room. The room was spotlessly clean and functional. On the other side of the coin: The facilities are lacking. My room was much smaller than my son's college dorm room. And days after staying there, my back is still sore from the mattress. The place needs some serious updating and rehabilitation. If you don't care about that (and if you aren't yet tired of what seems to be the same breakfast almost everywhere in the U.K.), Ivanhoe is just fine. It is about two blocks from the River Ness and an easy walk to the downtown part of Inverness. Again, the host at Ivanhoe is great. It's just the facilities that leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

A delightful guesthouse near Inverness town centre offering all you need. Cosy rooms, pleasant staff (who are the owners) and wonderful breakfast with plenty of choice. Good location just 10-15 minutes stroll from the centreof town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I stayed here over the last weekend and can't fault the place at all. I booked my room at the last minute but it was still spotless and ready when I arrived a few hours later. The room was small (as advertised) but as a single traveller had everything I needed - including some nice extras such as chocolates and decent toiletries. It was also en-suite which is rare for the price.
The host was incredibly friendly and helpful - directing me to the nearest places to get food and providing me with a plate and cutlery for if I just wanted to get takeaway (i arrived quite late.) I missed breakfast the next morning but she made sure I left with plenty of fruit and cereal bars to see me on my way instead.
I really can't fault the place or the service, and would definitely stay there again if I'm back in Inverness.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Very nice cosy guesthouse just a short walk to the centre of town. Highlight was definitely the breakfast which was perfect. Check out the Waterside pub just around the corner by the first walk bridge into town for dinner - really really good dinner.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
northern Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We arrived at approximately 8pm for a two night stay. One of the hosts was outside smoking with some other guests, and while she was friendly, it was clear she was waiting to leave. She checked us in and left pretty soon after, and although I requested another blanket, I never received it (she did suggest we increase the heat in the room, but my husband gets warm easily while I get cold). I didn't get a chance to get the password for the WiFi that night, and ended up paying BT for a 24 hour pass, as I needed to work and I wasn't sure if the WiFi was free or not. (I tried to ring their residence at 9:30, but that may have been too late, as I didn't get a response). Again, although she was in a rush, she was very friendly.
Although we generally don't stay at many B&Bs, and are used to staying to ourselves, on this trip (Americans in UK) we would have liked to see more of our hosts and have them offer ideas on things to see and do in the area. They provide a cooked-to-order Scottish breakfast, and were very gracious and friendly otherwise.
The twin room we had was pretty tiny, and the walls are quite thin (we stayed in room 3). The bathroom is tiny, but they do have toiletries and a hair dryer. The WiFi was good, and we were able to walk to the Inverness Castle and other parts of town from the inn. We didn't have a problem parking in front of the place. Given what lodging costs in this area, it was a decent value overall.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ivanhoe Guest House? Share your experiences!