“Very Sad, gone downhill from previous visits....” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 195 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Brasserie, Pizza & Pasta
Evanton, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very Sad, gone downhill from previous visits....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I visited for an early dinner. There were a catalogue of errors from arriving. Our reservation despite being in bold letters couldn't be found by the waiter (we had to point it out to him) We were shown to a table in the middle floor which was very big for the 2 of us, and with no space around it. They seem to have put more tables into the space making it very uncomfortable. Service was incredibly slow, the waitress was nice enough, but seemed to be very overworked and on her own for most of the evening. Our food too almost 40 minutes to come, and it wasn't busy when we arrived. the food was acceptable. However, the Kitchen has lost its edge and NOTHING about the entire experience was special. I had the burger which was on a par with food I've had in fast food places, the meat was fresh and cooked well but that price I was shocked at what was delivered. My wife had chicken with parma ham in lemon sauce which tasted of BBQ. The table next to us ordered pasta which was sent back as it was burnt. and the table of 6 who ordered before us still weren't served when we walked out as it was another 15 minutes from asking to see the desert menu to actually getting something - so we got the bill and left. I am hugely disappointed as this used to be the fresh restraunt in inverness with innovative ideas and amazing flavours. sadly it was a bad experience and it would take a lot to return.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Inverness, United Kingdom
“Sorry about the food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately a nice location and excellent service where the food let the side down. The haggis starter was average although the smoked paprika and chilli sauce tasted of neither, limp undressed rocket did not add anything to it. The rump steak main course was way undercooked the sauce full of peppercorns, it was not a peppercorn sauce. The accompanying scant portion of vegetables were beyond al dente they were raw. The server did offer to replace the steak but I,m sorry if you can't grill a steak in my book you should not be in the kitchen. Pun fully intended. As my main course and my wife's starter both incurred a supplement they did remove that from the bill and offered us a free dessert. I can't fault the service and their attempts tp rectify the less than great experience . I don't think they could have done anything else to be fair but by then the meal is ruined.This was my second disappointing visit to this establishment and I think a third very unlikely.

Visited September 2013
Dana Point, California, United States
“nice ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

The brasserie is located on the river Ness and has a lovely interior. My husband ordered the mussels and really enjoyed them. Unusual for him, the order was so large, he could not finish them. I had a pizza which was good but should have been cooked a bit longer.

Visited September 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
“Costs too high for a less than average meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have been to the kitchen several times last year and I have enjoyed it every time, especially their fixed early dinner or lunch menus. However, after this weeks dinner, I do not think that I will ever return.
As a starter, I had home-made hummus with bread pieces and my mom had chosen the garlic pizza bread - the hummus did not taste of much and I was very disappointed. On the other hand, my mother's pizza bread was horribly burned, dry and just by lightly touching it, it fell apart into little crumbs.
As a main, I went for the rib eye steak with the home-made fries and although the steak was done to my liking, it was pretty average and other restaurants cook it much nicer for a better price. My mother's pizza, again, was pretty average and nothing special. Overall, we were looking forward to our dinner at the kitchen due to our previous experiences, however we were disappointed and I do not think that we will return any time soon.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ayrshire
“Fantastic restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Had a meal here this week when in area for business. Service was friendly and efficient and food fantastic. Really unusual take on traditional stuff which was amazing. We were seated on top floor with fantastic views. Was quite noisy with large groups but part of the experience. Would definately go back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere