“Luxury Break” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Luxury Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My partner and I had a wonderful 3 night stay in May. The views from our room were wonderful. The fine dining in the Great Dining Hall was a wonderful experience and all the staff were very attentive. Just the p[lace for relaxing luxury!!

Room Tip: Any room in The Tower will have great views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Nigel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We were touring the upper part of the Highlands and made our way to this superb tower on the cliffs by Wick. Unfortunately, the tower itself was closed and we stayed at the ''stables'' cottage. Newly refurbished, a very large comfortable room, great bathroom and shower and a wonderful sitting room/ dining room /kitchen. The chef Paul, cooked dinner for us and it was delicious. Fantastic smoked salmon, followed by a superb sea bass with capers. Paul is also a very friendly young man and kept us interested in the local folklore. He also left everything we might need for breakfast the next day. Following day, Julie (the manager) showed us the tower. Fantastic !!! We'll certainly be back. They (Julie, Jackie, Paul..) were extremely friendly and professional, and the place magical.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place such a glowing review, it was encouraging to read that you enjoyed our newly opened Stables Cottage, I have passed your comments on to my team and in particular Paul, Julie and Jackie. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dollar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Having worked in hotels and tourism companies for the last 25 yrs. I have to say we are harsh critics when on a personal holiday. I am sure a fellow hotelier is not always a welcome site however Ackergill had nothing to fear, in fact quite the opposite. Opting for one of the self-catering cottages as we had our dog with us my partner and I experienced a stay that was so relaxing and utterly perfect that we are guaranteed a number of return visits. The cottages have been beautifully restored in different styles but are all informal with open fires, basic foods left for us on arrival along with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. A seafront location and view that was inspiring was the icing on the cake. The staff are friendly yet unobtrusive and the wee pub ‘smugglers Inn ‘ a 30 second walk from the door would be the place to spend a night or two…probably with a sore head the morning after.

Not having really explored this part of Scotland that heavily I would suggest to anyone to try it once, the beaches were as good as any you would find in the world if not better and the weather amazing. The Tower operates many activities for those outdoor minded otherwise a beach barbeque would be my recommendation

The elegance with which the resort is operated is a testament to the manager and staff and one I wish other hoteliers could replicate.

Well done and a huge thanks to all, we are looking forward to staying at Keepers Cottage in the very near future.
Julie & Tom & Angus the Pyrenean

Room Tip: The rooms at the Tower looked stunning but as we stayed at the cottages I cannot comment although Be...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Julie,thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction. My team are constantly striving to ensure that all of our guests have a truly memorable experience.We look forward to welcoming you back to Ackergill in the future.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My sister and I are great ones for afternoon tea. We're well known in Fortnum and Masons and have eaten scones and tried cakes in many places from the Ritz Hotel and the Savoy to small teashops in market towns all round the UK. Ackergill Tower has spoilt the fun. Now we've had their afternoon tea, we have had the best and there's no point us eating anyone else's.

Three of us sat down on a cold sunny afternoon in front of a huge roaring fire in the drawing room in the castle of Ackergill. Serious amounts of sandwiches and tea arrived, accompanied by an entire home-made lemon drizzle cake, made by the wonderful Alison. Just for us. A basket of warm, delicious scones was accompanied by fresh whipped cream and lashings of home-made berry jam. Elegant individual carrot cakes with dreamy topping and vast regiments of fresh shortbread (plain and currant) completed the spread. Service was discreet and friendly and we felt completely at home and relaxed. What more could we ask for?

We stayed at Ackergill Tower for two nights and it is a lovely place in a beautiful position. Try it for yourself.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place such a fabulous review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience at Ackergill and the afternoon tea in particular. I have passed your comments on to my team and have personally congratulated Alison for her outstanding work. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ackergill in the future.
west lothian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

As a performer, I travel all over the world. The result is that I work, and stay, at some of the most incredible places on the planet. Yes, I've been around a bit. However, there are three places that I would class as "outstanding" and Ackergill Tower is in that top three.

Believe me, the pictures on the web, and the little videos go no way to showing just how great this place is. I mean, it is a castle, within a massive estate where salmon fishing and sea fishing are right there for you. (If you catch a salmon, and you don't want it served that evening, they can smoke it, vacuum pack it, and post it to you! - all on the premises!) Just one example of their determination to meet each and every requirement of the guest.

It has the largest treehouse in the world, and the smallest opera house in the world. It even has it's very own traditional "Smuggler's Inn"!

The service is out of this world. On arrival you are told to make yourself at home, and that if there is anything you need - they will get it for you. And they mean it. They really do go to incredible lengths to ensure that your every requirement is met (Little wonder that A-list Holywood celebrities have stayed there - while Ackergill managed to keep themselves "off the radar".)

My room "The Daffodill" was superb - and having heard reports from other guests, they were all saying the same thing. Imagine if you can... a spacious bedroom with a gorgeous bath / shower room. (underfloor heating) and views from the bay window down onto the shore directly below, with the sea, and the cliffs beyond. Oh, and a "real" four-poster canopy bed. This is serious luxury we're talking about here!

As a guest I could wander wherever I liked. The smoking room, the snooker room - it really was the "make yourself at home mentality."

But more. General Manager Nigel Bird took us in on a tour of the estate in one of the Land Rovers. The fishing areas, the beach, the Smuggler's Inn, the cottages (all decorated to the highest degree with quality fittings and a wonderfully imaginative design-eye on every - and I do mean every - detail.

Oh, yes, there is also the biggest treehouse in the world, and the smallest opera house in the world - all incorporated within the castle.

My understanding is that this place has always ben kept secret, for those and such as those. Foreign corporations who wanted to really treat their executives to an outstanding experience, and so on. But no longer - while it is still the sort of "exclusive use venue" for big corporations, it is now opening up to those who would just like an experience where they can truly relax and fall asleep in total comfort with the sound of the sea outside their room.

Oh, and the food? Absolutely outstanding.

If it has a drawback, it is that it's location is remote - right on the most northerly coastline of the UK. But then, that was not a drawback for me. With that comes a friendliness you are unlikely to encopunter anywhere else,. and the freshest of seafoods that you definitely will not experience anywhere else! (Plus I had the opportunity of - perhaps - seeing the Northern Lights!)

This has been a secret for a long time. A gem that has been kept hidden for too long!

A top three favourite? Undoubtedly. But I will not mention where it comers on that top three list for fear of disappointing the other two!

One word of warning. When you leave this place and return home, you will miss it terribly.

Room Tip: If you have a family or visit with friends, then one of the "cottages" would be perfect. O...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Wow,what a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor.My team are delighted that you enjoyed the Ackergill experience and hope that we did indeed rank number 1.We look forward to welcoming you back to Ackergill in the future.
Prudhoe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

we have just returned from 3 wonderful days at this hotel . I say hotel it felt more like home roaring fires attention to every whim, fancy I could think of. ! Nigel greeted us as guests but we left as friends Diane was a little gem ! I am the pickiest eater and although the food was superb the Chef Paul catered for my discerning palate. Nothing was too much trouble . The setting was stunning and although its called a tower its really a castle and a real one ! Each room decorated and furnished in the manor to which a castle should be.WE cannot praise it enough for setting location and amenities .Above all the staff were superb !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Hi Collin and Angela,Thank you for such an amasing review and I have passed your comments on to my team. You are right Ackergill is not a hotel it is an experience and my team constantly strive to ensure all our guests feel at home and have a truly enjoyable and memorable experience.We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We have recently returned from an amazing weekend at Ackergill.
The manager Nigel and his team provide superb service and attention to detail, the food was amazing and this is the best possible base for touring the far north of Scotland. Fabulous decor with lovely roaring fires in true Scottish style - there was nothing to fault. There is lots to see in the area and the position of the Tower directly on the beach makes it fabulous for lovely long walks. We loved every minute!!

Room Tip: overlooking the sea is amazing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
What a fabulous review and thank you for taking the time to note your comments regarding your recent stay with us.My team are delighted with your comments and are pleased that you had such an enjoyable time.We look forward to welcoming you back to Ackergill in the future.
Nigel

Been to Ackergill Tower? Share your experiences!