“The 21st century seems to have passed it by, and so will I in future” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Pavillion

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Inverness, United Kingdom
“The 21st century seems to have passed it by, and so will I in future”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am often up in Thurso, and have a selection of regular places that I like to have a relaxed lunch in. I had often walked past the Pavillion cafe and thought that it looked interesting, so I finally got round to giving it a try. As I wanted to do some browsing over lunch I first walked up to the counter to asked "Is it OK to plug in my laptop?". The waitress said in a monotonic voice "You can use your laptop". So, I sat down, made myself at home and popped the laptop on the table. I was just about to plug it in when the waitress arrived with the menu - "You can't plug that in." She stated bluntly. "Sorry?" I replied. "I've had to block off all of the plug sockets because people kept coming in and using them.". Sure enough, I looked round the room and the plentiful plug sockects were all blocked off with child protection plates. I was quite miffed by her attitude and by her dour nature, but most of all by the fact that I had made to effort to ask beforehand. Unfortunately, I was also starving. So, I stayed and ate an acceptable panini. The accompanying salads were all drowned in mayonnaise as they all too commonly are. I did not continue my relaxed lunch over a coffee and cake as I had planned to do, but paid and left. So, for the sake of a few pence worth of electricity the cafe lost out on several pounds of business with me on this visit, and I won't be returning. Good business sense??

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

WICK
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Service is good, location is excellent jut not impressed by selection or pricing. Have had a meal there and gone elsewhere for pudding!

Visited June 2012
Sutherland, Highland Scotland
“quiet un-hurried.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Excellent orange and lemon sponge with coffee. Quiet when I visited, had been a local family celebrating a birthday. Very friendly staff, noticed my table hadn't been wiped - which I hadn't and left alone to get on with my book and watching the waves..... Thank you

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Won't be going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Food expensive for what it is.
Black pudding and fried egg over £6 !!
Young lad behind counter asked if we knew what we wanted?? No offer of menu. Had to ask for it. Service slow and cafe was nearly empty. No wonder with extortionate prices and poor service.
Won't be going back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Rogart, United Kingdom
“Perfect cafe on the sea front”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I'm often in Thurso on business and always look forward to going to this cafe for lunch. It's friendly, in a quirky old building, serves great coffee and food, and has views across the Pentland Firth. Even if you're just passing through Thurso as a tourist, it's worth a quick stop-off.

• Visited May 2012