“Bad choice of restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Hamburgers
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Maidenhead
“Bad choice of restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

I went with a travelling companion as it was his birthday and wanted a good place to eat, we were recommended this restaurant from the reception of where we were staying in central Aviemore. What a mistake.
When we got there at approx 20.00 the place was empty except for one table that was almost finished,it was a Tuesday night and there was no atmosphere in the place, nobody came in after us.
At first the service was quite good, a young lady showed us to the table and got us the menu. She was not seen again and the service went downhill from there.
I don't eat red meat so went for the chicken option, all the chicken dishes were served with a sauce, The first server when asked advised that they do use chicken or meat stock in their sauces, so I asked if they could do a piece of chicken with cheese over it, this they said they could do, but when it was served it was so dry that it was inedible, the chicken was anaemic white .
The baked potato that was also on the plate, to me had never seen a normal oven except for a microwave , this too was too dry, I tried putting extra butter on it but did not work, I asked to speak to the manager and an aggresive male said he was the manager, I explained what the problem was but he was not interested, I finally said please can you take it off my plate as it was inedible, which he did, but moments later came back in a confrontational manner saying there was nothing wrong with the chicken as it could not be dry was it had been boiled in water.
I said I'm sorry but I could not eat it, he responded by saying he had an opinion and that I was wrong.
He did not offer to replace it or ask if there was anything else I would like....that was it.
When the bill came the chicken was on it, I did not want to argue, I just paid up..but without a tip...........I will certainly not go back to the resturant again. I will keep well away as there are far better eating options in Aviemore with better food and better prices.
My companion said his steak was just ok .
No dessert was offered or taken.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Aberdeen
“Didn't live up to its reputation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Heard great things about this place, but afraid it was a underwhelming. My meat was cold in the middle! Say no more. Too expensive for what's on offer.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Cosy atmosphere, good food, huge puddings and friendly service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

Only a couple of minutes from the station on foot, good menu, great food, quirky decor and very good value.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Great place for apres ski”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We spend a week in Aviemore every February and the Ski-ing Doo is a must visit every time (and that's for over 20 years'!) Great atmosphere and lots of sporting memorobilia, sparking endless conversations about bygone years, cable bindings (that ones for Alan) etc. Food well priced and efficient, friendly service. Lots of pastas, burgers and steaks and if you can manage it some spectacular ice-cream desserts. We've been with small kids, teenagers, and as part of adult groups and enjoyed it every time. Now has extended bar area downstairs but not tried this out. Recommend booking at busy times.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Macclesfield Cheshire
“A MUST place to eat in Aviemore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

My wife and I have just spent a week in Aviemore on a ski holiday (too much snow and wind and cloud and rain) otherwise OK Pity about the really poor marking of the pistes. However having spent a cold day on the Cairngorm we called in the Ski-ing Doo for some food and drink. Wow - What a surprise to find a great range of ales and ciders available and the quality and portion sizes of the food. Service was excellent and the price was right.. Highly recommended for a visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere