“Return to the Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort to your Saves list
Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Macdonald Aviemore Highland Resort | Inverness-shire, Aviemore PH22 1PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Aviemore
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Return to the Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I came back to the Inn with a couple of friends for a two night break. I paid the same as I paid a year ago for the more upmarket Highlands at the same Aviemore resort. My friends and I booked separately and I sent an email asking if we could be put near each other. The email was acknowledged but never responded to...bad practice! We did however get rooms nearby each other. The rooms are still outdated and furniture tired looking but I slept well . The bathroom door got locked when closed from the outside so I couldn't use it but someone came to sort it almost immediately which was impressive. Every time I've stayed at this resort I've always had breakfast at Aspects restaurant and so had my friends so having been told no difference we walked over to it only to be told our breakfast was in the cafe in the same building as the resort reception so off we went. Now I have been a few times now and the reason why I like to stay is the breakfast....the variety is usually perfect...not much that you cannot get. There was always high quality granary bread toast and a whit toast with poppy seeds, also fruits of the forest as well as other fresh fruit, also nutella which I love to spread on the nice quality bread. Well we had cheap thin highly processed bread, no nutella or fruits of the forest and no yoghurt even! I was really disappointed! No doubt you got all of that in the other restaurant! I would really like a response about this one as it could affect my return to the resort! Also one man blatantly walked out with bacon rolls wrapped in paper napkins, probably for his lunch...the staff seemed to find this amusing! I want this resort to do well but it has a long way to go to beat the Cairngorm Hotel especially for food....however the cooked breakfast was good! Once again I took my swimming dossier but one look at the pool full of children playing ball etc meant I didn't bother going in as swimming impossible! I am so sad to hear that there is a scheme to demolish the Four Seasons Hotel in the resort and build flats. I know it is dated and at the time thought to be out of place but it is an iconic building and a good looking one for its time. I would like to see it revamped and the pool turned into a high class adults only spa! I think that the designs for the flats ate horrible and far more obtrusive than the hotel .

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
General M, General Manager at Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, June 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with your recent stay with us.
I apologise about the confusion regarding your breakfast and that you were left feeling dissapointed with what was on offer. Please note that we have taken all your feedback on board and they have been passed on to the relevant deparment for further investigation.

If you would like to discuss your dissapointment in more detail. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We decided to stop of here for a night to spend time in Aviemore. The hotel is basic and a bit old fashioned however for a short stay this isn't really a problem. When we stayed the hotel seemed a bit desserted which did make it quiet. The good points are the breakfast, the facilities on site and the price. The one down side was the rude receptionist who gave the wrong key. My recommendation would be if it is a short stay and you get a good price it is worth staying.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am happy that you found the resort accommodating for your stay and enjoyed the breakfast that we offer.

We hope to welcome you back again,

Johnstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed in a twin room at the Aviemore Inn recently with a friend for one night.
Our room was basic, with outdated looking furniture and an old tv but it had everything we needed and was clean so it was what I expected for the price. The room had a lovely scenic view and though I noticed that the room walls were very thin, we were able to sleep peacefully with no traffic or other noise disturbances.
We had free access to the pool and sauna/steam rooms as part of our stay which made our stay excellent value. The pool area was clean and it had a wave machine and flume for children. The sauna was lovely, just a shame that the jacuzzi was broken!
Breakfast in the morning was nice enough and there was a good selection of food available.
Most of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful though finding them could be problematic; when we went to check in we had to wait for quite a long time as there was nobody on reception and no bell to ring.
Overall however, the Aviemore Inn is a great value budget option for anyone requiring a basic room while on a trip to Aviemore,

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
General M, General Manager at Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time and effort taken into writing a review with us.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the resort accommodating and of good value.
It is great that you had the chance to use the leisure facilities whilst staying with us and enjoyed them.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business. It's clearly in need of an update. It looks like it's not been touched since the 80's. On a positive note, I had a very quiet night (although room was a tad cold) and breakfast was decent. All staff were polite and friendly. I'm back that way in March and will probably stay again as it is all I needed.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am happy to hear that you had a plesant stay with us and found the resort accommodating.
Thank you for your comments regarding our staff I am happy to hear that they made you feel welcome.
Please note that your comments regarding the decor has been taken on board.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

The General Managr
Arbroath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

When I arrived with my family two girls and my wife on approaching the hotel I was filled with disappointment from the start.

The place looked like a mix of a bad travel lodge and a Butlins. My wife and girls went to see what the room was like as I called the main reception to confirm that I had booked this, unfortunately I had!

But I managed to change it immediately over to the highland hotel which because it had only a suite available we got this For only about £30 a night extra well worth it as it was a fantastic hotel and I would rate it 5 start.

If your go here it is well worth spending a little more and you get allot more for your money.

Stayed October 2013
General M, General Manager at Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with the accommodation in the Aviemore Inn, but however happy that it was solved with your upgrade to the Highlands Hotel.

We look forward to welcome you back again,

Barrow upon Humber, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed one night on a travel Scotland trip on my own. When I turned up to book in the reception door was open but all the lights were off. Confused with no signs, i drove around the corner into the main car park of Macdonalds car park and went into their reception. Here they said you are at the correct place. Weird, as no mention of this on booking. Car park is massive and well maintained and a short walk into the Aviemore Inn main doors. Up two flights to my twin room. Here i had a very roomy but out dated decor. The toilet seat was at a 35 degree angle so i had to hold on to use it. Room was warm and adequate, maybe not worth the £68 a night. Breakfast was a farce. I was on my 4th day of consecutive rain and hoped to nip down to breakfast at 7am. Here I became lost so had to run out to the Macdonald reception, who then told me, breakfast is served across in the hotel at the other side of the complex. So back on came the waterproofs to walk across the road and other side to find breakfast. Not happy! The self service of food was good quality and good choice. I liked the located just off the main street for other services, and slept reasonable well despite the party of lads also on the same room side.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
General M, General Manager at Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to share your resort experience with us on Trip Advisor.
I appreciate your contructive feedback given regarding certain aspects of the resort - please note that you comments and concerns have been passed on to the relevant departments.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of the resort and that it was accommodating for the purposes of your stay. Thank you for your kind words regarding your breakfast experience - I am delighted that you found the food of good quality.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

First of all the 'professional' photographs listed on both MacDonald Resort & Trip Advisor are misleading. The room does not look like this at ALL. The room I had looked like an old people's home. Dated furniture, old & solid wooden headboards that looked like the tops of coffins on the bed - don't get me started on the ultra soft, squishy bed - I literally hardly slept each night I was there. Each bed only had 1 small thin pillow - I had to request additional pillows, when room service arrived she had no pillows but towels - I asked her for pillows, she asked me what type - feather or normal, I said I had no preference, she advised at this point "I'm not sure if I will be able to find any but I will have a look" She came back 25 minutes later with 2 rather tatty pillows.

The hotel complex itself is nice and that is where your money is going - you are paying for the fancier hotels & not the Aviemore Inn. It's the "budget" hotel but for 2 nights I paid £136 pounds which for the room, the style of the room I think is too much. If it had been £50 p/n then I wouldn't be complaining but I think for the price then it's overpriced.

The first room I was checked into was on the 3rd Floor, I walked out of reception to the Inn next door to find out the lift was broken. The lift itself is located through a double door but the area is unlit which was quite unsettling. I wasn't notified of the lift being broken or being worked on by the check in staff & they could clearly see I had a couple of suitcases - I was not offered any help at all with my bags - any * star resort I've been to have always offered assistance or help. After pulling up my luggage 3 flights of stairs I found I couldn't open my door. The key would not turn & my partner tried numerous times. I went back down to reception (reception is not located in this hotel but next door) & had to wait for 10 minutes in a queue as there was only 1 staff member on the reception desk. A good few staff members were wandering about ignoring the incessant ringing of the phone behind the desk. The hotel seems preoccupied with it's "Club" members and not other customers (I felt this anyway) When I advised reception I could not access my room with the key, that it wouldn't turn properly in the door, I was asked "What do you mean?" After repeating myself she said "That's strange" didn't bother to ask anyone to come and help me but said I'll move you room instead.

The room was located on 2nd floor but the lock was incredibly sticky and took several attempts to get into the room. I'm not sure when it was last occupied but there was a staleness about it. There was chipped paint on the floor and the wooden section behind the 2 coffin headboards was quite dusty. The carpet was also quite stained - not the image this hotel projects and certainly is not like the photos or the narrative on MacDonald Hotel's glossy website.
The shower has a tiny shower head & is fixed to the wall & was not very powerful. The TV in the room is old analogue style with 5 channels. Wardrobe doors were on runners which had come off and swung when you pulled doors back.

Plus points in room - good hairdryer. Iron & ironing board & toiletries in bathroom. Disappointing room for price & I know you are paying for the 'resort' which is a lovely place & location but this hotel is dated, poor & overpriced.
There are no staff in the hotel that can help if you have an issue - you have to go to the main reception, the only hotel staff on location at the Inn are working in Giovanni's restaurant & even though they work for the resort they cannot help with any problems which I found out when I had the issue with room key.

Also the hotel entrance has a awful smell just as you come in until the start of the Italian restaurant, I, nor my partner could work out what it was, it smelt stale, musty and old - pretty disgusting to be honest. Looking now at comments made by other guests this has been mentioned numerous times with MacDonald Resort Managers commenting that they will look into this - clearly this is not true as the comments date back months and that horrid smell is still there.

Breakfast is amazing....very good & highly recommended.
Location is great - we did have a great view from our window.

Resort is very good but the huge downside is this hotel - MacDonald Resorts need to either renovate now or invest a huge injection of cash into it and soon or tear it down or make it cheaper. Travelodge & Premier Inn offered budget accommodation that is a million times more comfortable & modern and at a decent price. MacDonald Resort needs to address these issues once and for all. Disappointing that is markets itself as a high standard chain when this is obviously the carbuncle of the resort and they don't know what to do with it. There is a big closed off area in the main foyer which obviously used to be a reception and sitting area but it's shrouded in darkness & also smells musty - even if they took out reception desks, had comfy seating, a fire and a tv, etc then that would be appealing but it looks run down and pretty bad.

Last point - I've also never been checked out of ANY hotel without that staff asking if I had a good stay etc - nothing from MacDonald Resort - shows what they think of the customer & the customer's experience.....perhaps if I had been a "Club" member my opinion would have been asked.

People might ask why did I not complain at the time - I had already complained twice on the door/room and pillows and the responses I got were hardly confidence filling and to be honest I was already disheartened. If I had of been asked by reception when checking out I would have mentioned that I was and had been dissatisfied with my stay and for the reasons I have listed.

MacDonald Resort need to stop using photographs that are misleading and that way it may lead to less unhappy guests. Sort of the decor, smell and price!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aviemore Inn at Macdonald Aviemore Resort? Share your experiences!