“Easter Holiday Break - 9 -12th April 13” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aviemore Academy Hotel

Save Saved
You added Aviemore Academy Hotel to your Saves list
Aviemore Academy Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aviemore Highland Resort | Invernesshire, Aviemore PH22 1PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Aviemore
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Easter Holiday Break - 9 -12th April 13”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to the resort once without children, the other 2 (including this one) with kids.
Our room in the Academy Hotel easily slept 2 adults & three children (one a baby in a travel cot provided foc) with room to spare. It was clean & functional and adequate for a 3 night stay. Despite the heating sytem starting up at 6am each morning resembling the sound of an industrial generator starting up, live with that and you will be fine.

Leisure facilities are excellent, towels provided for swimming and a functinal gym all under the one roof. Soft play, Spa, games room, & Art & crafts room are also housed here.

Children & family entertainment was in abundence, with various childrens classes / activities on each hour of the day. Evening entertainment was fine for youngsters if a little rough around the edges, but free of charge it was worth paying a visit. Stewart Anderson's Ceilidh night is a giggle & gets the whole family involved, and the band are very helpful in explaining each dance beforehand.

The Buffet self service breakfast was plentiful if a bit manic, in the main restaurant across the car park from the Academy Hotel. It did get busy but the staff seemed to cope with it reasonably well even if they were a bit slow in clearing the tables.

Dinner in Giovanni's was reasonable and family friendly, with Aspects across in the Highland Hotel offering more formal and relaxed dining. The food in Aspects was very good and the staff very attentive, just watch out for for supplements if you stray from the DBB menu.

Overall it was a pleasant stay just watch the drinks prices, other than that no real gripes and an ideal family resort which I would certainly recommend for a short family break.

Room Tip: Best value is the DBB rate where The MacDonald Hotel Group offer £25pp pn meal voucher inclusive for...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Relations Manager at Aviemore Academy Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear TheSausageRoll
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about the resort - it is always a pleasure to hear when our guests and their families enjoy the facilities that we offer on the resort: the soft play and the children’s activities tend to be very popular with families staying on the site.
Please note that your comments regarding the heating have been taken on board and reported to our onsite maintenance team for further investigation
Gina Macpherson
Guest Services Manager

135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at this resort for a skiing trip with my kids aged 5 and 8 in April. From the moment I walked in the door I was made increadibly welcome, and throughout the stay (4 nights) the staff were fantastic. I used the pool...great. There is a big slide and wave machine although that wasn't working. One side is really shallow which meant I could sit on the side and not freeze while my not quite swimming 5 year old was in. I went to the soft play as well which you pay for £4 and the outdoor playpark which despite being about 5 degrees had hammocks so I curled up in my down jacket and read a book (take a flask with you and you will be the envy of other parents.) We also used the pizza place which felt poshish but very child friendly with cheap kids menu. Nothing too much trouble. Oh used kids club too (parents stay holidays only).
We went skiing a couple of times to Cairngorm mountain which would be great once my 5 year old can ski and actually stop! A bit hairy if they can't as ski school found out when he went flying through the air to land on top of them.
Room fine, with everything you need. Perhaps a bit dated (TV) but meant the kids didn't watch tv all the time. All in all a great stay and would go again

Room Tip: Academy seems to be the families bit of the resort
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldAviemore, Guest Services at Aviemore Academy Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear CumbriaPod
We appreciate you taking time to write a review. Thank you so much for your positive feedback, we are always delighted to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay. We are happy to hear that you were able to use all of the leisure facilities on offer and that you and your family enjoyed them. The leisure facility always tends to be popular with the children and their parents.
Thank you for your kind words about our staff, we are all pleased to hear that they made you feel welcome.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort again.
Bridge of Earn, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a weekend stay , hotel was well catered for children , great entertainment, pity you have to pay for using the bouncy castles which was £8 for I hour for two kids.
Evening meal was a bit of a let down , went for cavery , food was overdone and waitress service was poor , had to ask three times for my drinks order , then brought water but no glasses, quite frustrating with thirsty kids. Breakfast was self service , could do with with fruit bowl .
Overall a reasonable hotel but next time I will be looking for special deals.

Dear Julie M
Thank you for taking time out to write a review, we always appreciate all guest feedback. I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the leisure facilities and entertainment that we offer onsite, here at the resort as we do strive to keep the children well entertained and happy.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your evening meal in the carvery, please note that your comments have been taken on board and passed on to the Executive chef and his team.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Academy Hotel. First the positives: the room was clean; the staff were well trained and friendly; Aspects Restaurant and Giovanni's Restaurant (in other hotels) were both very good. The major problem we had was the quality of the hotel itself. It is stuck in a timewarp. Our room was dated and tired with a horribly stained bath and threadbare carpets. The public areas are clean, but again tired and in dire need of modernisation. I agree that the breakfast is good. The buffet was continually being refreshed and the quality of food was good. I would however quibble with the self-service tea and coffee. By the time you get your hot food, then stand in a queue for your hot drinks, your food is cold. On the second morning I asked for a teapot to be delivered to our table. It made all the difference. Finally, our room was on the first floor, just above the bar and as the room was very hot we had the window open. As most of the smokers gathered below our window we had a constant smell of cigarette smoke wafting in our room. Not very pleasant for non-smokers in a non-smoking room. We were really disappoined at this Macdonald Hotel. Do they really think this style of decor is acceptable to modern travellers? I wouldn't pay more than £40 a night for one of the rooms in this hotel. We won;t be back.

Dear EllaBella78
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We always appreciate all types of guest feedback. Firstly we were delighted to hear that you had such positive things to say about our staff – it is a pleasure to hear that they were efficient and made you feel welcome. We were also happy to hear that you enjoyed your meals at the resort; your kind feedback has been passed on to all the relevant departments.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your bedroom however please be assured that your feedback regarding the room has been taken on board. Planned investment in the resort will ensure that we can continue to offer the best possible service to all of our guests.
We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the resort in the future and thank you once again for your review.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in the Academy Hotel and, yes, it is a bit dated but we didn't go on holiday to sit in the room, we went for the activities and scenery. The beds were clean and comfy and the towels were white and fluffy. We went half board and were impressed with the food. Breakfast was hot and tasty, buffet style. We ate in the Italian restaurant, Giovanni's on the 3 nights and the food was again hot and tasty.
The swimming pool was great at the end of the day and the towels are provided.
The staff were warm and friendly and we could not fault the service from anyone. We will most certainly be booking again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MacdonaldAviemore, GUEST SERVICES at Aviemore Academy Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Alison C
We appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review. Thank you for your positive feedback - the company always strives to provide the highest possible level of customer service and it is always a pleasure to hear that we have succeeded in doing so.
I am delighted to hear that the staff were welcoming and that you received excellent service.
The leisure facilities are always popular with our guests, and I am pleased that you got the chance to enjoy them during your stay.
Please note that all feedback has been passed on to our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from a booking via laterooms.com. It's ok.. When I say it's ok I really mean that in the most average of ways.
I travel quite a bit with my job and have stayed in some good and some very bad hotels, so I think I have quite a bit of experience in this.

This however was a family holiday, away from home for a few days...

The rooms are sparse, no pictures, not really any decor to speak of. The heating is noisy throughout the night and the place is over heated for my taste. The hallways have a very cheesy tartan carpet, perhaps kilt leftovers.

The breakfast buffet was good though In the central atrium dinner , I'm glad the weather was good for the walk over there. It'd read different if the weather wasn't so good these last few days.

All in all, you get what you pay for, a room with heating and a half decent breakfast. Don't expect four or five stars for the money. Would I stay again... Probably.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dfrang
Thank you for taking time to write a review, guest comments are very important to the company and we appreciate all feedback.
Please note that your comments regarding the décor and heating have been taken on board and planned investment in the resort will ensure that we will continue to provide excellent guest service.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast experience during your stay.
We hope to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here 1 night (Sat 23 Feb 2013).
The bedroom was immaculate, with comfortable double bed and easy chairs, and top-of-the-range bathroom/shower fittings. The only (minor) negatives were the old-style CRT TV with only 12 channels and WiFi not free.
The staff were without exception friendly, courteous, and happy to help. This was very impressive. On check-in, the man on reception went out of his way to sort out an early breakfast for me (06.45 rather than the usual start time of 07.00). The breakfast was superb -- full buffet cooked breakfast, fruit, cereals, croissants, go back as often as you want. The only potential negative was that the breakfast was in a different building, 2 minutes walk away; 'nae bother' on a beautiful crisp morning (which I had) but perhaps a bit of a pain if it were pouring with rain.
I will be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Matt L
We appreciate you taking time to write a review. Thank you for you positive feedback, I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
We are delighted to read that the staff were helpful during your stay, your kind comments have been passed on to relevant departments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Guest Services

Been to Aviemore Academy Hotel? Share your experiences!