This was a return visit in January 2011 with a ski group.
The resort consists of four hotels, lodges and several restaurants all within walking distance of the town centre. We were staying at the Academy Hotel on site. The central check-in was straight forward with our group leader obtaining all the room keycards required and everyone completing and handing in their registration card at a reception at the Aspects bar & restaurant later.
Our room had a comfortable large double bed, a table and couple of chairs, tv, tea & coffee making facilities and a hairdryer. There was plenty of storage space and an area by the door for keeping skis and boots. The ensuite in contrast was small with a shower over the bath. The controls for switching between bath and shower were not user friendly or readily accessible because the glass shower screen could not be swung away from the bath due to a lack of space (it is blocked by the washbasin). The bath was slow to fill which is disappointing if you are looking to relax after a day’s skiing at nearby Cairngorm Mountain.
We ate in the Aspects Restaurant which meant we didn’t have to leave the building to go to dinner or breakfast. The bar on ground level is comfortable and relaxing however it is expensive - most suited for a pre or post dinner drink (we ventured down to the town centre later for a more lively atmosphere and more reasonable prices!). The restaurant is large, fairly informal and has a pleasant enough ambiance. The staff, many of whom were foreign nationals, were quick at serving and polite. We enjoyed the food which had a few options for each course on the menu and the wine list provided a reasonable selection.
It may be worth mentioning that between this and my previous report we stayed here in January 2010 and noticed then that the choice and portions at dinner were smaller when booked with a group, possibly reflecting a discounted rate - we had stayed on “standard” terms the day before our group arrived.
Breakfast was self-serve from a buffet-style selection which covers most tastes. I found that the cooked breakfast option on this occasion also had less choice than I had experienced previously and the quality didn’t set my taste buds alight.
We didn't use the leisure pool so I can't comment on that aspect.
In summary the Academy Hotel at the Resort provides comfortable accommodation and if you can get a reasonable rate it is worth considering.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotels of our Macdonald Aviemore Resort are situated at the very heart of the Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands - a magical location. Stay amidst ancient Caledonian pine forests at one of our four distinctive hotels or our luxury woodland lodge accommodation. You'll find the perfect room for your stay in one of our luxurious Scottish Highlands hotels at Aviemore. Our Highlands Hotel offer four-star luxury for all the family along with our newly refurbished Morlich and Aviemore Hotels which are due to open Spring 2015. Choose one of our Luxury Woodland lodges for a stunning escape in the forest surrounding our resort. You'll find everything you need and more at Macdonald Aviemore Resort - luxury brand shopping, 3D cinema viewing, top-class restaurants, our brand new, state-of-the-art Aviemore Activity Centre, family activities, swimming pool - and for golfers, the Spey Valley Championship Golf Course. Recently voted one of the best in Scotland, this course boasts some of the most breathtaking views in the world. Designed by Dave Thomas, former Ryder Cup player, it features the longest hole in Scotland - a par 5 measuring 635 yards. Are you up for the challenge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Macdonald Aviemore Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Aviemore Highland Hotel Aviemore
- Macdonald Aviemore Resort Scotland