“Do NOT Book a 'Spa Day' - Complete Waste of Money!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Macdonald Aviemore Resort

You added Macdonald Aviemore Resort to your Saves list
Macdonald Aviemore Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Aviemore | Inverness-shire, Aviemore PH22 1PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Aviemore
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Do NOT Book a 'Spa Day' - Complete Waste of Money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I booked in for a Spa Day package which stated in the Spa Brochure it included treatments, use of robes/slippers/towels, use of spa facilities, a light lunch and use of leisure facilities. It was a complete waste of money. I arrived at the hotel was taken through to the treatment rooms, was shocked that they actually used hotel bedrooms as treatment rooms, had no spa rooms, relaxation rooms, nothing! After my disappointing spa day I was told i could walk over to the other hotel to use the leisure facilities. There was no gym, the pool was open, but the jacuzzi was broken!

Really disappointed with my visit, written a letter to two members of staff and had no response back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies that you have not received a response. I have just started this week and nothing was passed over to me. Thank you for taking the time to resend me your original email.

As I explained the resort is under going massive refurbishment at the moment and we have plans to rebuild the spa next year. I have spoken to the beauty manager and she is in the process of changing the spa brochures to avoid a repeat of the issue that you experienced.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were very surprised that we were only told AFTER checking in, that the facilities were cloised (swimming pool). If we had been told at reception then we would have asked to speak to the manager, had our booking cancelled and then went elsewhere. Instead Macdonald resorts made sure they had taken our cash before informing us that facilities were closed.

Room was advertised as having bath and shower, did not have a bath - pretty crappy situation when you are out in the cairngorms partaking in advernture sports and cannot come back to your hotel for a swim or bath.

Room far too hot and stuffy.

I called the resort this morning to speak to the duty manager, she didnt really sound that bothered that our trip was wasted - so will be leaving feedback on laterooms, and tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Dont bother - rooms dont have facilites advertised
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for leaving a review on trip advisor.

As my Duty Manager said when you called we had to close the pool unexpectedly due to a child vomiting in the pool. At Macdonald Hotels we take health and safety very seriously and it was with regret however necessary that we had to close the pool for a couple of hours that day.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. We have lots of exciting developments in the hotel over the next coming year including new outdoor activities that start this week.

On your next visit please contact myself directly on Lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally look after you.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Visited Giovanni's Italian Ristorante at the Macdonald Aviemore Resort, tonight 10/07/14. @ 18.45.
After giving our order to the waiting staff which was only a main meal for two adults and two meals for our 6 year old twins. We found ourselfs waiting a considerable time for our meal to arrive. After 25 minutes I had to ask the management what had happened as the kids were falling asleep. They duly went and inquired, but what they told us was, that if we had ordered a starter first, we would have been catered for quicker. 30 minutes after arriving we received our meals. By this time a table that arrived after us were 3/4 through their 2nd course. The kids macaroni was far to rich and ours was over cooked. One meal was chicken the other a sea food stew.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. Our primary aim here at the resort is to exceed our guest expectations and I am sorry to read that we have not done that on this occasion. I have passed on your comments to the relevant manager to ensure that this does not happen again.

If you would like to discuss your comments further please do not hesitate to contact me on 01479815300.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

kirkcaldy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed at the Highland hotel in Aviemore in July 14. The hotel was recently refurbished to a good standard and was pleasantly surprised. Having stayed at this hotel on previous occasions I knew what to expect, the service is excellent and the staff are always on hand if needed. The room itself was very spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was fantastic. If your looking for a getaway, you can't go wrong with this hotel and of course, Aviemore is just a brilliant base to explore.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for the time taken to write a review.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and found the newly refurbished rooms accommodating.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff - I know that they will be happy to hear that they made you feel welcome and were helpful.

We look forward to welcome you back again,

Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Very disappointed to be told when we arrived today that the double we booked has been set up as a twin and can only be moved to a double if we pay £120 more! Poor service and start to our holiday. Expect better from Macdonald Hotels than to be fobbed off with 'read the small print'.

• Stayed June 2014

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with your recent stay with us.
We always strive for the highest guest service available and I apologise that you did not find this to be the case during your stay with us.

If you do wish to discuss your dissapointment in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we would be more that happy to speak to you.

We do hope to welcome you back again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Booked into room 362 in the inn , very dated room and bathroom seemed to have been decorated by someone who had never done it before , this room was by the lift shaft and every time the lift was used the room shook with a loud rumbling. Not the best recipe for a restful nights sleep.
I had the room changed to the family block and to be fair the staff did this without a problem.
We were informed that unless we were in a coach party we could not use the food hall restaurant, a situation we were unaware of again the staff on the ground dealt with this, I have the feeling they are quite used to dealing with a multitude of complaints and problems.
Great staff but bad management, you are on a coach party conveyor belt here and the place is not designed for the independent traveller.
If a manager from the resort reads this just thank your on the floor staff for keeping a wobbling ship afloat

Room Tip: If you are anywhere near a lift shaft go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with your room when you arrived but happy that it was dealt with quickly by our staff.
Thank you for your words regarding our staff - I am delighted that they were helpful and made you feel welcome.

Please note that all your feedback has been taken on board.

Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I traveled North to celebrate our wedding anniversary and stayed at the Macdonald Highland Resort in Aviemore from Saturday 10th - 11th May 2014. Firstly, the stunning surroundings were breathtaking which was just right for the occasion, the staff from the reception, rooms and dining area were very hospitable and made us feel very much at home after a long trip. The room we stayed in was classic and very comfortable. The response we received upon lacking an item in the room was also exceptional. The breakfast had a great selection - and we loved every aspect of our weekend away. keep it up!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us - thank you for all your wonderful comments.
I will make sure to pass on your feedback - I know the staff will be happy to hear that they made you feel welcome and were helpful.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

The General Manager

Been to Macdonald Aviemore Resort? Share your experiences!