“Food and owner lovely. Decor bizarre” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 49 Restaurants in Aviemore
Cuisines: Indian
Glasgow
“Food and owner lovely. Decor bizarre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Eent there first week of July. The meal was lovely and the owner guy was lovely too. The decor was absolutely awful. It was basically still a Chinese restaurant inside and the state of the floors were awful.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Alyth
“Tasty & Quirky”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Ok so reading some of the previous ratings, of this establishment, would leave you wondering should you venture over the doorstep, and the answer is YES. We have been familiar with the premises over a number of years in Aviemore, when it was called Charlie Parkers, and most recently was a Chinese Restaurant, which has now been transformed inot the Indian Cottage. Quirky is the decor which I trust over a period of time will be re-done to fit in with the authentic Indian Food, as Panda's and Tigers are all part of the wrong orient, but it was clean comfortable, and above all welcoming.
Onto the food now which was very tasty, fresh and well presented, a family of four dining for £60 including drinks represented good value for money, and that included the Tandoori King Prawn the most expensive dish on the menu, but then again No1 daughter has expensive tastes. The owner took a little time to converse with us and we were given complimentary rices and ice cream at the end of our meal, which was a nice touch. The chefs specials are a must, as they are indivdual and are full of flavour, nan breads are fresh and poppadums and spices and chutney's all of good quality. We would recommend a visit, although this is a newly established venue, we wish them well, although they were still awaiting the drinks license from the council, and based on the prices shown in the menu this could put a dent in your wallet if you decide to have a few Cobra's along with your meal. Would highly recommend, as either a sit down meal, or as a take-away which was busy when we visited.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thornhill, United Kingdom
“Dropped on a Jewel of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Me my wife and 7 year old landed here after avoiding the bustle of Aviemore center. We shared a set meal for 2 priced at £28 .
The poppadoms were great with a lovely pickle tray . The mixed pakora was fresh tasty and served with a lovely salad selection . The mains , we chose the south Indian lamb which I thought was an excellent dish gorgeous succulent meat in an obviously freshly prepared and wonderfully spiced sauce . A lamb korma was ordered ( my daughter in mind ) not a dish we would have these days after 30 years of curry education . Again it was excellent . Palau was nice and fluffy and the peshwari naan was again obviously fresh and tasty and.
All topped off with great and friendly service
The owner was a joy of a man who we all enjoyed a good blether with.
The only negative ( although not really for us) was that the premises are being updated . We actually felt this strangely added to our evening . I can see how some may not really.
How can anyone who has a notion of a good Indian meal make the comment about garlic chillie chicken ?

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Scotland
“appauling service - correction NO service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I arrived at this restaurant at 18.30 to ordered my meal - a collection of 4 starters to carry out. At this point there were only 2 people in having a meal. 10 minutes later another person came in, to also order a carry out meal. Whilst waiting on our meals to be prepared another 2 people came in for a sit in meal. Yet Another 10 minutes passed - the gentleman who had came in AFTER me got his meal and left. A family of 4 then arrived for a sit in meal - the waitress did take their order but seem to ignore the first 'sit in' couple and from what I could see they were continuously ignored. I had still not recieved my order - 30 minutes and now had passed. The Manager then told me that my order was more difficult as it was a collection of starters!!! He then left the restaurant for 15 minutes. 45 minutes had now passed and on enquiring YET AGAIN to the whereabouts of my food I was then told they had given it to someone else!!!!! At this point I exploded - demanded my money back and left. When I passed this restaurant 20 minutes later (having gone to the other MUCH better Indian restaurant 2 minutes along the road) I notice the 'ignored' couple walking down the road - I can only surmise they also left having had no food/service. In my opinion when talking to the staff they seemed to have no clue to what to do. DO YOURSELVES A FAVOUR AND AVOID THIS PLACE.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Give it a miss”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

My Partner and I visited this restaurant hoping for a nice meal and some time away from the kids but after one hour, we regretted our decision.
When we entered, we stood for 10 minutes before a member of staff came through from the kitchen and seated us, where we soon discovered they did not have a drink licence and could only offer us warm diet cola. We were given a mix of appetisers which we didn't ask for (and were subsequently charged for) followed by the smallest every portion of Pakora to share (which in fairness was pretty good). After a lengthy delay, our main courses arrived (one of which was wrong) and were sent back until the correct meal was served, both dishes came back out slightly warm and were again returned to have them heated properly. The mains themselves were appalling and left largely uneaten at which point we decided to leave. The bill was quite pricy and the owner (who was well aware of the service and foods lack of quality) took the opportunity to bill us for the appetisers we did not ask for! All in all, the worst Indian meal and restaurant I've ever visited. Ps, the restaurant still has an authentic Chinese feel to it and has many Chinese decorations (the premises was a Chinese restaurant up until recently).

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere