“Nice enough hotel until I got food poisoning!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spring Saver Offer
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Aviemore
Scotland
“Nice enough hotel until I got food poisoning!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at the Hilton in Coylumbridge on the 6th of June with a friend. On our arrival at the hotel we were upgraded to a deluxe family room which we were delighted with.

We spent a pleasant day in Aviemore and returned to the hotel for our dinner at about 7.00pm. I had the pear and pecorino cheese salad for a starter, a goat’s cheese and onion tart for main course and a chocolate orange cheesecake for dessert.

Once we finished our diner we went to our room to get organised to head into Aviemore for some evening entertainment. Both myself and my friend had to lie down at this point as we were feeling nauseous. After about 20minutes I vomited. I decided I was not going to let this spoil our night away so we headed into Aviemore. I vomited several more times before returning to the hotel later in the evening. I wakened up feeling feverish at 5.00am and had a huge rash on my chest and on my thigh. I spent much of the night being sick and was unable to eat my breakfast on the Sunday morning. I was unable to eat anything for much of Sunday as I still felt nauseous. My friend also vomited on the Saturday night but she did not appear to have been as affected as me.

I felt absolutely fine prior to eating my dinner and I was back to normal by the Monday. I can only assume that my illness was related to something I ate at dinner.

I wrote to the Hilton to let them know about my upsetting experience. I got a letter back saying that no one else had made a complaint about the food the night in question.
This reponse did not satisfy my complaint. Regardless of whether other people were affected, I was very ill and had a really uncomfortable night at this hotel.

I had hoped I would be offered some form of compensation to alleviate my dissatisfaction about the Hilton Coylumbridge. As this was not forthcoming, I will certainly not be staying at another Hilton hotel again.

I have to give this hotel a one star due to my sickness after eating here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
east midlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

If you enjoy badley behaved children, poor restaurant service ,waiter staff with little grasp of english ,extortionate bar prices,lounge bar area full of chrildren running around screaming ,.and shouting at turned 2200hrs.then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2009
merthyr
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Great hotel only one fault no lifts so if you are infirm ask for ground floor room.
Bar prices not so high as most Hiltons in the long Happy hours, Good food, good staff, some times hard to make your self understood with some waiters, but head waiters and managers first class, Breakfast BEST EVER IN A HOTEL!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Bakewell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

A bit basic for a Hilton, but get one of the special offers and you have a great bargain.
We have stayed many times.
Superb.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Darlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We were very close to cancelling after reading some of the reviews, but since we'd already shown the children the photos of the pool and play park, it would have been impossible to find an alternative nearby. However, every low expectation was met with a totally positive experience.
We were in a family suite (173) and the room was clean, spacious and quite newly updated. The bathroom was great. If I wanted to find things to criticise, I'm sure I could, but it wouldn't be reasonable to complain about the heat when it was 24 degrees outside. The chambermaid was really pleasant. Like all of the staff we spoke to, she had a lovely manner - very professional, but friendly too.
The DBB rate was good, and we didn't end up spending too much. The tennis courts were not expensive, and the pool staff smiled at guests as they passed. No complaints about the pool either. It was reassuring to have a large pool that children could stand up in, as well as a deeper pool for adults. When we arrived at 3pm, it was empty. I think we must have been very lucky, but at no point in the weekend was it offputtingly busy.
The dinners were fine, very much as you'd expect when catering on such a scale. We asked for a quiet time for dinner and 6.00-6.30 was suggested. We didn't wait long between courses, and the dining staff were attentive, bringing jugs of water and checking everything was as it should be. The puddings weren't fantastic, but the seabass and the mushroom risotto (except for the peculiar drizzle of balsamic vinegar) were just right. We enjoyed the breakfasts, and making our own waffles!
The location just next to the Rothiemurchus Forest is just perfect for walks and cycling. It's great not to have to drive anywhere for the whole weekend. The scenery is of course totally stunning in good weather.
I realise that this review may seem unrealistically positive, but I wanted to balance the comments made in other reviews. I don't think that our brilliant experience was unique. There were lots of happy faces about except for ours.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

Stayed two nights room 47. It was an exceptionally hot weekend and the rooms temperature never fell below 30 degree night and day. Could not get enough ventilation into the room because it was downstairs with restricted window opening. Great for a sauna no use to sleep in. Also there was a very large wedding on which seems to take over every bar and space in the hotel. Felt like we should not have been there.
The bar prices are outrageous even at 'happy hour' Like previous reveiwer i think the hotel prices are loads dearer than last year and you need plenty money to stay here not good value.
Setting fantastic but hotel needs to get upgraded ,DEFINETELY NOT 4*

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Suffolk, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Myself and my partner stayed here for two nights at the end of April. Luckily the kids were all back at school so there weren't too many around the hotel to bother us. What is telling though is that a Hilton worker who we spoke to before we stayed here said that he had started his training here and asked to be moved to another hotel as there were far to many kids running around!!!
We were most disappointed with the hotel as it could do with a refurbishment in parts. Beware of rooms along the corridor with room 48 as they are in need of urgent updating. This was the room we were first given and we asked to be moved as it was simply appalling without outdated carpet and furniture, not to mention the horrible musky smell. Was very disappointed as this is not what we expected from the Hilton Brand. Luckily we were moved to a room which had been refurbished and looked very smart, although the bathroom let it down as it seemed to have been forgotten about during the decorating process.

Good points:

Set in a fantastic quiet location and only a short drive to either Aviemore or the Caingorm Mountain Railway.

There was a good selection at breakfast, from fruit and fruit salads and continental pastries to a full English. Buffet service so just help yourself to as much as you like!

Service. The reception handled our complaint about the original room professionally and changed us to a better room without quibble. Service was fantastic in the restaurant too. Polite waiters and waitresses and prompt service.

Although we eventually enjoyed our stay, I'm afraid when we come back to the Cairngorms we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!