“dads birthday weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Scotland
“dads birthday weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel is warm and clean, the rooms were nice and clean and provided robes, slippers, water and usual toiletries, we were here for 2 nights for my dads birthday, dad and my brother enjoyed using the pool and sauna.
The only bugbear was that when i booked the rooms i also booked a table for dinner on the Friday night but the hotel had no record of the booking, so we rebooked on arrival and when we went down for dinner they still had no record of the booking!! But there was no problem with us getting a table and the meal was great, i had also been promised 33% discount on the meal which was honoured no problem.
The breakfast was the best layout and choice we had seen, everything looked and tasted great, the choice was amazing, from full cooked to a waffle machine, porridge, chees and meat, muffins, yoghurts and lots more.
We would definately return here as the location is also good for Aviemore and outdoor activities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HiltonCoylumbridge, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Hilton Coylumbridge. Please accept our apologies with the mix up over your dinner booking but am pleased that all turned out well in the end.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Aberdeen UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My Wife , Son and I stayed for 4 nights over half term in February , ( sorry for the late review ).
We wanted a little skiing and some walking and sledging .
The hotel is perfectly situated for all outdoor activities .
It is a large , spacious , well laid out hotel , warm and friendly.
The room was spacious , clean , warm and had plenty of amenities .
The staff were very helpful and friendly , without exception . In fact they were excellent and nothing seemed too much trouble for them.
The food was good ( not Michelin star , but neither were the prices ) and there was a very good choice of places to eat in for variety. And the breakfasts were fantastic . Everything you could want and very good quality .
I have seen comments about the price of a glass of wine being excessive . I don,t agree. You could have a 175 ml glass of Cloudy Bay for £9.00 but equally there are plenty of 125ml glasses from £3.50 upwards. Its pleasant sitting in the huge lounge area watching everything happen around you. We transfered our dinner allowance around the different dining areas and really enjoyed the variety.
This is really more of a family hotel I think ,rather than a romantic getaway hotel for a couple. But saying that if you are a couple wanting an activity based getaway this is a perfect base with a great bar ( the Woodshed ) to retire to for cosy drinks and no kids.
The 2 pools are excellent as well .Very busy sometimes but equally almost empty at other times. Just pick your times sensibly .
So , as you can see from my review we really enjoyed the Coylumbridge .Like almost all hotels there are maybe times when something doesn,t go quite right for some people and a star or two gets dropped but I would advise you to ignore the odd 1 or 2 star comments here and concentrate on reading the 3 to 5 star ones. Most of you will know that some people cannot be satisfied no matter what. This is a genuine review from someone with a hotel management background ( a long long time ago) who was thoroughly satisfied with a very good hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind comments on your recent stay at Hilton Coylumbridge. As you point out we are a family hotel but are suitable for those looking for a quiet stay but outwith these periods. We are very lucky to be in a beautiful location with lots to do in the area all year round.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We are Highland Lodge owners at Coylumbridge resort for 30 years so return to this venue year after year. Some thing needs to be done to upgrade the swimming pool and changing facilities. This venue is a brilliant for families, skiers and those who love the out doors, but the place does need a facelift. Staff are friendly and helpful and the breakfast excellent. if you are looking for a quiet child free zone then Coylum is not for you. The Woodshed bar is a very welcoming place where the fire is blazing. Drinks mid week here are reasonable but watch out for the extortionate prices in the hotel.£12.00 for 3 coffees and alcoholic drinks are not cheap. Plenty of thing to do for young kids and we still love going there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

February 4 night half term break on bed breakfast and dinner, the food quality and service was excellent. The family bedroom was getting a little tired the rest of the hotel was fine. The hotel is set in a very beautiful area with a lot of outdoor activities, we did some walking and skiing. If the weather is bad the pool and spa is very good the hotel is child friendly but they do close the the pool to children late afternoon my son is 14 and was not able to use the pool during this time.
I can understand the reason adults need a bit of peace and quiet for a few hours without very young children shouting and running about, my son is not category this age group should be lowered to preteen.
Evening entertainment was very good, I booked well in advance and got a very good price including breakfast and evening meal

Room Tip: Book well in advance and take the Bed Breakfast and Dinner rate the food and service is first class
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
dunfries
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at Coylumbridge last weekend as it was recommended to myself by friends. We have 2 children with us aged 7 and 10 and the emanates that was for them was plenty. To start check in was smooth with the polite receptionists although most were foreign so it would of been nice to hear a British voice although there knowledge of the place was 1st class definitely could recommend me places for my family to visit.
The room we were given was fair for what we paid £116 DBB so I had no real issues or gripes with that. One issue was we were not told to book in advance for our dinner booking especially how that hotel was very busy we were lucky to get a reasonable time for our dinner booking had we not phoned the restaurant its self to find out if there was anything they could do and thankfully there was a cancellation so we managed to get 7.30. Advice to all please book your dinner in advance especially if you want to eat in the main inverdruie restaurant i think its called.

My kids enjoyed the fun house were they could play all day for a reasonable price and then a fair swimming pool as I have read a few reviews before i came to the restaurant most were saying the pool needs a touch up and i would defiantly agree and on speaking to a leisure staff member they say it should be in progress in the near future so hopefully for next time i can relax in a decent sauna not a substandard one but it done the job so I am not complaining.

For a family hotel the staff definitely know what they are doing smiling and very attentive especially in the main restaurant. We ate there both nights and although the menu was the same for the both nights we had no issues with that especially how there was lots of choices to choose from and my kids have a good appetite so as a treat they ate from the main adult menu for £10.50 could of been worse. The service we received was 1st class especially in a busy restaurant as we could see some staff working most day/night and still with a smile on there face. Excellent! I would like to mention a thank you to Ian an Indian boy who was our server, he was so polite and couldn't do enough for us! Also thank you to Lauren the scottish manager who assisted us when we had some trouble with the menu when my wife wasn't very well she got a room service menu and personally brought the food to our room and asked us how Debbie was that night and again on our morning of departure. Couldn't do enough for us definitely an asset to your hotel i wish i got the name of the receptionist as well as she was also wonderful.
Breakfast was a highlight with everything you can think of and if it wasn't there you could just ask the chef who is stood in the open kitchen and they could assist you. Phenomenal!

I cant wait to come back again to Coylumbridge and would be recommending it to my friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

rooms need decorated and updated. no aircon in rooms and only one heater/radiator that took a good while to heat up room. restaurant and bar has been and very nice. restaurant very good and food really good. bistro is more bar food and is not up to the standard of the restaurant is not much price difference. would advise paying a bit extra for restaurant. very family orentated hotel. not what I would expect from Hilton and other Hiltons I have stayed in excel this one. Aviemore was really depressing and unless you like outside sports, not really worth going.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our teenage daughter departed on a warm weather golf trip to Abu Dhabi leaving my wife and I several days in which to chill out 'somewhere nice' together. After much debate and Internet searching we decided on the Hilton Coylumbridge, Aviemore, a hotel and place we had visited on many occasions several years before when our children were much younger. Their website showed a three days for two offer, but when I tried to book it it was not available for the requested days. Undaunted, I phoned the hotel's local number to ask about any deals going. However, I was automatically transferred to the hotel's central booking office in Florida where a very pleasant young lady said she could not find any 3 for 2 deals but could offer a 25% discount on a three day dinner, bed and breakfast rate. This I took, costing £94.50 per day.......not bad! I was then transferred to another gentleman who tried a hard sell on what I believe was a timeshare in Orlando. He was very persistent and it was with some difficulty at politeness that I managed to say no thanks.
Arriving on a cold and slightly snowy March day, the hotel was much as we remembered on the outside but the inside had been tastefully refurbished. We were an hour early, but booking in was easy and pleasant, and our room, compact but nicely decorated, was better than expected. The small gym and the two pools had also been refurbished and never seemed too busy. A bonus was the gym being open 24 hours a day, so no restrictive hours. Best of all was the main restaurant which had been very tastefully modernised. Breakfasts were very good buffets, with a chef making omelettes of your choice, a nice added touch. Dinner was excellent! An extensive three course menu with the quality and presentation equal to that of more expensive hotels. Service was also very good, although I didn't meet a single Scot amongst the staff.
The hotel is very child friendly and apart from two outside all weather tennis courts had an extensive outside games area and a large games hall.
Best of all is the hotel's location. It is in a very quiet area about a mile from Aviemore village centre one way and about five miles from the Cairngorm ski slopes the other way. The cycling and walking trails outside the hotel are fantastic. We had a magical two hour walk round nearby Loch an Eilein on one day then spent three hours walking in sunshine and deep snow on a trail to the side of the ski slopes on another. One place we didn't have time to visit this time was an old favourite, Loch Morlich, with its sandy beach and canoe hire centre. Heaven on earth on a good day!
All on all, a magical trip which was all too short. However, the effects of fresh air, great food and healthy exercise will last much longer. I can't wait for my return visit!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!