“Small room, walk outside to breakfast and pool, brilliant staff” 4 of 5 stars

Macdonald Highlands Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aviemore Highlands, Aviemore PH22 1PN, Scotland   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Aviemore
Glasgow/Scotland
“Small room, walk outside to breakfast and pool, brilliant staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

There is upgrading work going on in this hotel and it's all around the rooms. We stayed on a weekend so there was no work getting done but we checked out on the Monday and the noise at 9am was shocking, so I would hope that they strategically place their guests during the week. Having to go outside everytime you wanted to leave your room for the bar, breakfast, pool, entertainment etc was really annoying as it was the middle of winter. The room was small but bareable. The staff were amazing and I couldn't fault them. Most were foreign staff but all spoke beautiful English and were extremely pleasant. The breakfast was amazing. We paid £200 for double room, two nights bed and breakfast with dinner on one night, wine in the room and a £10 drinks/food voucher. Can't comment on the pool etc as we were skiing all day and just slept at night.

Room Tip: I wouldn't book this hotel if you are going to be in the hotel more often than not. If you book...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the taking out the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the breakfast we offer.
Thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our staff - is it something we work very hard on and always appreciate when our guests take the time to mention it.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Arbroath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed in a suite at this hotel the staff were fantastic the room was great and I can't fault it 5 stars from me can't wait to go back :)

It was very clean
Room size was great
Staff were very nice
Furnishing were comfortable
And the restaurant was perfect

Stayed February 2014
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am delighted to read your feedback and see that you had such a wonderful time whilst staying with us. We always aim for the highest possible guest service and it is a pleasure when guests find this to be the case.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Virtually every review mentions the rooms are tired, and though our was clean, warm and comfortable it was a bit "tired" but they are currently upgrading the rooms, a team of workmen are there currently and they state in reception they hope to have it done by Easter

My son and I stayed there whilst skiing, though we never made it onto the mountain and had to drive the 1 hour to Fort William, stunning drive

The price was equal to staying in a local B&B, then when you add the pool and gym, plus we upgrade to DBB for 2 for just £20 a night, you couldn't beat it

All the staff were very welcoming, helpful and pleasant. The food in the restaurant was brilliant, only downside is if you are there for a couple of days you do repeat the menu, but as it was such high quality (every Macdonald we have stayed at has always been fabulous food) we really didn't mind.

Must be great to stay at the hotel when the rooms are upgraded in the summer, fantastic walking and biking in the area

Room Tip: Get one of the refurbished rooms when they are available
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew and share your resort experience.
I am delighted to read you review and learn that you has such a wonderful time whilst staying with us, it is a pleasure to read.
I am happy that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant, your comments have been passed on to the relevant department.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights whilst skiing in the Cairngorms. The room was lovely, warm and inviting, as well as clean.

We had breakfast each morning in Aspects, which was a buffet, with many continental and cooked options. We particularly enjoyed the cafetiere which was brought to our table every morning.

Our favourite part was the pool and spa, which we made use of everyday after skiing!

During our stay there was refurbishment work going on, but it didn't bother us. One downside was the price of drinks in the bar! 2 glasses of wine came to £14!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room accommodating.
It is great that you had the time to make use of the leisure facilities on site and enjoyed them.
I am happy that you enjoyed your breakfasta experience - it always tends to be popular with our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back to the resort again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Bland concrete buildings. Long anonymous corridors. Standard blocky hotel room with insipid decor. Condition a little battered; many years since built / refurbished. Bland, soul-less campus.

But it was available; clean; free wifi; friendly staff; reasonable breakfast.

I can't see the point of going to the highlands and then living in a concrete box, so I'd have been happier in a (cheaper) guest house, but they were full.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Highlands Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as all guest feedback is much appreciated.
I am happy that the resort was accommodating for your stay and that the staff made you feel welcome whilst on site.
Please note that your comments regarding the decor have been taken on board.

We hope you welcome you back again.

Kirkwall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed a night in January in a family room. I've stayed in this hotel before and its badly needing some work done which does seem to be going on now. Woke this morning to work men every where, hammering and the smell of paint which just isn't 4star. Key frustration again was the signage to check in at the main building, staying in another and staff confusion around where breakfast was in the morning. Not good when its pouring with rain and you're going from one complex to another. Food, breakfast in particular good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to share your resort experience.
I am sorry that you were dissapointed with certain aspects of your stay - we always aim for the highest possible standards and take it seriously if guests feel that this is no the case.
Please note that your comments and concerns have been passed on to the relevant departments.
I am happy that you enjoyed your dining experiences - breakfast always tends to be popular with our guests.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcome you back again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights while attending a conference in the main building. The reception area, auditorium, & meeting rooms are fantastic, and the location is beautiful. There's even wee rabbits hopping about the grounds which is good to see first thing in the morning!
The staff were pretty friendly and everything was really clean!

However, I wasn't really at all impressed with my room. I was in the aviemore inn and the beds weren't comfy at all, as well as the shower being probably the worst I've ever used in a hotel. Also, during the night myself and a few of the neighbouring rooms were woken up repeatedly by the radiators & pipes making banging noises.. Although maybe that can't be helped. You can also hear every conversation happening in the rooms around you - this didn't bother me personally but i know of a few people who got frustrated with this during our stay. I never personally got a chance to use the gym/pool/sauna facilities but from the rest of my group they were great!

I wouldn't go out my way to stay here again, but it wasn't a bad experience at all! Worth it for the location.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with the room you stayed in whilst on the resort - I do apologise abour the issues you experienced with your shower. I do wish you would have mentioned it directly to us during you stay in order to find you a room more accommodating.

Thank you for you lovely words regarding the conference facilities - I am delighted that you enjoyed them.

We hope you welcome you back again in the near future.

The General Manager

Been to Macdonald Highlands Hotel? Share your experiences!