We stayed during the Scottish Golf Open in Inverness. The hotel was a bit far from the venue, 45 mins, but the road to Inverness was very good and picturesque.
Due to rain at the Golf Open and play suspension we had time to explore the Cairngorms and surroundings. It was really spectacular. We drove to the Cairngorm one evening and saw the most spectacular sunset. We enjoyed the beautiful panorama of lakes, mountains, trees and mist . A must see.
The hotel is a 70s type hotel, with some renovation but not fully modernised. It's aging.
Worst place to eat: the nearby Spey Valley Golf Clubhouse - where we met the most unwelcoming head waiter. He was in a rush to leave, the place was nearly empty and asked if we had a reservation. He sat us in a dark corner away from the garden views.
Best Place to eat and highly recommended for atmosphere and value for money: La Taverna Restaurant. Italian, owned by Italians. Food and people till late
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax in style and complete comfort at the 4-star Macdonald Highlands Hotel. With 151 luxury rooms-with-a-view and its own signature restaurant, Aspects, boasting spectacular views of the Cairngorm Mountains, the Highlands Hotel is ideal for discerning business and leisure travelers. For relaxation there's direct access to the Leisure Arena, a TV lounge with comfy sofas and a DVD player, and the cozy Laggan whiskey bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Macdonald Highlands Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Highlands Aviemore
- Hotel Macdonald Highlands
- Macdonald Highlands Hotel Aviemore, Scotland