“Lovely but a bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Aviemore
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Takeout, Dessert
Description: We use some of Scotland's best local produce to create healthy, wholesome & interesting food with a Kiwi twist. We opened our doors in 2004 and have been gaining awards and accolades for our antipodean style coffees, delicious breakfasts, superb lunches & fresh home baking ever since. Our service is friendly & casual with a professional team from all over the world. The café offers excellent views of the Cairngorm Mountains - enjoy our balcony area during summer and the cosy log burner to sit by during the winter months. All the pictures are of our food - why not come in and sample our hospitality when you are in the area next?
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Lovely but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Delicious food but a bit pricey. Vanilla milkshakes are delicious and the cakes looked amazing (I was good and didn't buy one!)

Visited June 2013

Moray, Scotland
“Good food but a long wait on the stairs!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We arrived at the busy Mountain Cafe and as we entered we were told to wait outside the door on the stairs until they cleared some tables. We waited for 10mins on the stairs as people came and went before one of the waitresses asked how many was in our party (5adults, 1 toddler requiring a high chair and a baby). She then dissappeared for at least another 10mins. Finally she asked us to come through but then proceeded to tell us we would have to sit at seperate tables, not even beside each other. After such a long wait we agree'd with this but were disappointed we were not told this before waiting. As we looked through the menu the table next to us left and to our delight the waitresses asked if we wanted to join both tables so we could all sit together - this eased the tension.
Once ordered, our food arrived very quickly and to a high standard. Everyone was delighted with their meal - it was fresh, delicious and very reasonably priced.
The Mountain Cafe has a wide variety of cakes and homebakes to choose from. We decided to take-away a selection for later as we were all full up from our meal. All of the cakes we had were lovely and also very reasonably priced.
Would definetly go back but would maybe try and book (if you can) or go in a smaller group as the cafe isn't that large.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
scottish highlands
“!st class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

cosy little cafe offering excellent choice of well thought about food.away from the "usual" scottish menu.We both had a baked potato,fresh salad.best baked potato i've had.the home baking was to die for and had cakes etc to suit most dietry requirements.Waitresses were friendly and very efficient.Small cafe but with lovely views.above a mountain gear shop.best food in aviemore.

Visited June 2013
Edinburgh
“Great Food - fantastic views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've eaten in the mountain cafe a few times now and on each occasion I've been very impressed. The food is excellent - great sandwiches and salads and some fantastic cakes.

The coffee is very good too - a definite notch up from a typical coffee shop.

We were lucky enough to visit on one of the presumably not too frequent days where you could sit outside on the balcony - which makes the views of the mountains even more impressive.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
dundee
“Cooked in old fat and floating in grease.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This café was recommended to me when I asked at a nearby café that did not serve breakfast, where was good to eat. The food was terrible and overpriced. I was served bacon and egg with mushrooms and baked beans on a plate swimming in grease. Both the bacon and egg were flecked with black as if it had been cooked in old fat. As the staff were really nice though stressed and I was very hungry I mopped up the grease as best I could with paper napkins and eat some of the food.

On the positive side the staff were good and the food was hot as was the coffee. I am told the food is better in the evening but would not go there again. In future I will wait until I get to Ballinluig - better food at a reasonable price.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kirsten G, Owner at Mountain Cafe, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I am truly sorry that you had such a terrible breakfast with us, I am totally gutted, as the standard that I have set is much higher than this & we have rules in kitchen that food must not be oily & that our griddle must be scraped clean at all times. This has not clearly not happened in your case & I have spoken with our team of chefs to insure this will not happen again in the future.
This is a very rare situation as we can cook up to 50 all day breakfast on a busy day & this is our first serious complaint about greasy food.
We change our fryers every other day & I can assure you, your breakfast was not cooked in old oil, I do believe it just wasn't cooked to our usual standards & for this I can only apologise.
I understand you do not want to return, but if you would like to give us a second chance then please contact me direct on mail@mountaincafe-aviemore.co.uk as I would like to send you some vouchers.
Kind reagards