“Bad Food Choice” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #450 of 1,884 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Situated on the Southside of Glasgow, in the bustling area of Shawlands, join us for a drink, a bite to eat and service that stands out when compared to other pubs and restaurants in the area. If you work, shop or live in the Southside area, then The Waverley Tea Room is here to offer you a great venue for drinking, dining and above all relaxing. We are an excellent venue whether there are just a couple of you, or you are looking for a group booking. With the largest open air terrace and beer garden this side of the Clyde, we are specialists when it comes to al fresco. If the Glasgow weather is a little too fresh for you, then we have our stylish restaurant situated in our glass conservatory, or the cosy interior of the traditional Tea Room, where you can sit, relax and be overwhelmed by our floor to ceiling wine gantry. Whatever the time of day you visit, you'll find a welcome with a smile. From all of us here at The Waverley Tea Room, we look forward to seeing you.
“Bad Food Choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have posted lots of reviews & this is one of the few poor ones. We had a meal then drinks. Decent place for drinks but food and service were awful. Being a busy, sunny Saturday night, when staff were around, there seemed little point in saying. Starters were decent. Service was amateurish. You don't serve a table of 4 wine then not at least offer to pour it. You do get cutlery when its needed. First time I've ever not left a tip. Oh, my fish & chips - safe mains? Soggy batter (schoolboy error) & solid, tasteless fish (cheap). Tartare sauce had skin as it had been under a heater too long. Portion of mushy peas was a highlight! Great buzz in the bar afterwards (efficient bar staff), just don't bother with time or money on food & its service!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TeaGlasgow, Manager at The Waverley Tea Room, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Hi Carolyn-Eric,

Thank you very much for your recent review of The Waverley Tearooms. I am very grateful of the time taken to share your experience with others.

I am pleased you consider the bar staff to be efficient and that you enjoyed your drinks and the buzz of the venue after your meal.

Your comments regarding your meal however, I am very disappointed to hear. I would like to assure you that this is certainly not our usual standard of service and I can only apologise you felt let down by this aspect.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further I would be delighted to hear from you.

You can contact myself, or our General Manager, Michael at tearooms@g1group.co.uk.

In the meantime I sincerely hope this has not put you off coming back to the venue and that we can welcome you again soon.

Glasgow
“Nice place let down by food part 2”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

i should just copy and paste my last review almost exactly a year ago as the same things pretty much happened again.
the bar area with kids play area is brilliant and my wee boy loved it again the budvar again brilliant then we got the food and rubbish again we ordered nachos and cheese they were burnt black round the edges and when the cheese was lifted up there was just crumbs from the bottom of the pack with melted cheese covering them.why would the kitchen staff even put them out?.also the chips that came with the scampi were soggy and half cooked and the peas were solid the chips with the toasted sandwich were the same.Why cant the chef or kitchen staff not cook chips properly? or peas.Its just not good enough! The waiting staff agreed and took nachos away and replaced also brought properly cooked chips out and to be fair took 2 drinks and the nachos of the bill.I really hope this doesn't get someone into trouble but i had a conversation with a staff member who said "you would be better eating in ketchups the foods not great in here" i replied at least its a good pint and they replied "yeah cos we dont make that" its clear even the staff think the foods bad.It is such a shame we would be in here regularly if the food was better as the play area for the kids is brilliant its a nice pint and the staff are pleasant and welcoming.would recommend for drinks and the play area just dont eat in it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hi John,

Thank you very much for your recent review of The Waverley Tearooms, as much as I am disappointed to read your comments, I am very grateful for the time you have taken to highlight your concerns.

I am very keen to investigate your issues further and would love the opportunity to change your opinion of our venue.

I am delighted your son enjoys the soft play area and that that you consider the drinks standard to be high, however we would like the opportunity to redeem the other factors which on this occasion have let us down.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please do contact myself or our General Manager Michael at - tearooms@g1group.co.uk with a suitable means of contacting you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great food - amazing venue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

What a fantastic place to spend a sunny afternoon eating, drinking, and socialising. With an excellent bar area, both inside and out, it is the perfect venue for meeting up with friends and family. We enjoyed an excellent meal and the staff could not have been more helpful. I will certainly be coming back soon!!!

Visited July 2013
Wow, I am so pleased with your review and thank you very much for the time taken to allow others to hear of your experience.

I am glad you were so impressed with all aspects of our venue and its is great to hear you found the staff to be so friendly and helpful.

I will certainly pass all your comments on to the team and look forward to seeing you again soon.

“Never Disappoints!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Once again a great meal and a lovely place to enjoy a drink in the sunshine! Service was excellent & the food was delicious - what more could you ask for?

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

The title itself is for me the best part as it highlights the consistency we strive for in our service standards, the fact you have returned time and time again, without being disappointed is just fantastic.

Long may it continue. I hope to see you again soon, for more of the same.

Venue Manager
“Great way to spend a relaxing day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

If you're a south side local, love great drinks, a great atmosphere and friendly and helpful staff then this somewhere you need to be!

I spent the day here last week enjoying a typically un-Scottish afternoon in the sun.

The staff and, our server Olivia was excellent, were on hand but allowed us to relax and enjoy a few drinks rather than some places where there only thought seems to be getting rid of you when it's busy.

The food floating past looked excellent so we will definitely be back to sample some soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I am delighted to consider our venue to be so relaxing and enjoyable, that is exactly what we are going for so I couldn't be happier with your comments.

I will be sure to let Olivia and the team know you think they are doing a great job.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.